“Don't Expect Much if you Go!!”

Art Gallery of Alberta
Ranked #23 of 188 things to do in Edmonton
More attraction details
Owner description: The Art Gallery of Alberta is a centre of excellence for the visual arts in Western Canada, connecting people, art and ideas. The AGA is focused on the development and presentation of original exhibitions of contemporary and historical art from Alberta, Canada and around the world. The AGA also offers a full-range of art education and public programs.
Reviewed 21 July 2017

I love art. Plan and simple. I recognize that not all art is loved by everyone but I appreciate art on many levels. The museum, while an architectural beauty leaves much to be desired in substance. Who ever the curator is, needs a reality check. There is all this amazing space and nothing in it!! The few pieces on display are left to feel lonely and abandoned. I am glad I went on a free day because I would have wasted my money. I have a better collection of art by renowned artists. WE need a display of the masters, a room of up and comers, a room of renowned artists, a themed area, sculptures etc. There is so much out there and so many types of art that we should be making this an exciting place of exhibition, controversy, inspiration, creativity, talent, wonder, awe, invitation. I feel that Edmonton has created a beautiful building with no substance..

YourAGA2016, Public Relations Manager at Art Gallery of Alberta, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2017

Hi HonestTravellers64,

Thanks for taking the time to share your review. Rather than permanent exhibitions spaces as you suggest, our exhibitions all change several times a year, and we try to show a variety of artists and styles from both our collection and from travelling shows/other galleries. This means there's always something new to see. We hope you’ll give us another try to see what's new at your AGA.

Reviewed 19 July 2017

Thoroughly enjoyed spending four hours in this art gallery today. Especially enjoyed the gallery depicting the history of Canada in art and photographs, and the news photography. Beautiful building, relaxing place to enjoy art.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

The Art Gallery of Alberta is a must see if only for the building itself. The walls swoop and curve and create a wonderful aesthetic. The art installations are rotated every so often so it is hard to predict if there will be something to interest everyone on any given day. We watch the web for exhibits that interest us and have been pleased with the installations that we saw.

Reviewed 19 June 2017 via mobile

This was my first time going to an art gallery & I only went because my 16 year-old daughter wanted to go for her birthday. I am very happy that she expanded my world! The gallery was amazing & we had a very good time. It took us about an hour and a half to complete all three levels. It was very enjoyable & I would recommend that everyone should experience it once. It sure expanded my horizons & views on art.

YourAGA2016, Public Relations Manager at Art Gallery of Alberta, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2017

Thanks for the great review Tina. We're so glad you and your daughter enjoyed your visit!

Reviewed 12 June 2017 via mobile

I found the exhibits to be a bit disappointing. The biennial artist exhibit had some interesting pieces and some pretty put there. There was very little of the permanent collection on display though they were setting up one area which wasn't open. The building is very nice though.