“Tasty, scrumptious, and delicious!”

El Rancho El Salvadorian &Mexican Cuisine
Ranked #507 of 2,574 Restaurants in Edmonton
Price range: US$6 - US$13
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 8 March 2016

They have some scrumptious pupusas and El Salvadoran enchiladas! My family and I never leave this restaurant hungry. Try an horchata too, it's such a refreshing drink.

Reviewed 15 January 2016

A large group of us went for my birthday. I made reservations and we had a great time up to the end when we were over charged. The mariachi band was so great, food was good, service poor but it looked like the one guy despite the large reservation made ahead of time looked like he was on his own... so poor planning. He also refused to issue bills so very bad business. We wanted separate bills but was refused, I know these people well and everyone tends to over pay and not under. Everyone paid for their meal with payment form mine and a very good tip. The bill was mainly main courses as we do not drink very much so it was not hard to calculate. We were charged over 20 dollars extra. Person charging us extra was also the waiter and stated he was the manager too??? I left over 4 messages for the owner to contact me and this never happened. Their was no error on our part. It left a bad taste in our mouth; however thankful the Carrot Cafe made up for it.

Reviewed 23 November 2015

I'd been here previously and gave them a good review. Last night was a disaster. We had a larger party and called to advise there would be about 12 of us. When we got there ( and we arrived in drive and drabs) we were lectured that they were full and they needed to know exactly how many were coming. We recounted and said either 12 or 13. That seemed to throw the waiter for a loop...not sure why. We finally got seated because our table wasn't ready. He came and took drink orders. My tea took over 20 minutes to arrive...then he took appetizer orders. A little later he took the main course orders...the appetizers arrived. And we waited and waited for the main course. We ordered some beer and they seemed to be out of a few beers. Finally our main courses sporadically arrived. In the meantime the rest of the guests arrived and we were seated blocking a bathroom door. It took the waiter about 20 minutes to get the rest of the orders. He needed to be reminded twice that one of our guests still had not had her meal and we had all finished our main courses. Another guest ordered tea and never did get it. Here's the kicker...the restaurant knew they were full and there would be no tables available. They chose to have 1 waiter on for about 45 people. And I'm sure there was no extra kitchen staff judging by the way the food arrived. And he refused to itemize each guest separately which resulted is confusion at the end of the night. Apparently there was discussion that someone didn't pay for an enchilada...and all those that had the enchiladas had paid. What a fiasco!!!!

Reviewed 26 September 2015

I've stopped by this place many a times for a meal. I've tried most of the items on the menu and there are many good ones. The service is on the slow side so don't go here if you are in a rush, for those that have vacationed in the Caribbean, this restaurant is definitely on Caribbean time, servers are very friendly though and the food makes up for it. I've been here for "brunch" (they don't open until noon most days so it's a late brunch) and dinner. If you do make it here for brunch, everything is really good (really like their version of ranchero).

I would recommend trying the El Salvadorian style tamales, the app platter for 2 and the chicken and potato main. The "El Rancho Salad Dressing" that they use is amazing, they should bottle and sell that stuff.

For beverages they have wine, beer and a selection of pop, no cocktails or highballs.

The place is a neighbourhood style restaurant with often only 1 cook and 1 server, nothing fancy but the overall price for quality and serving size is good. I often take people here from out of town and so far everyone has enjoyed.

Note for those that like really spicy Mexican food, don't expect that here, food is El Salvadorian style.

Reviewed 29 July 2015 via mobile

Ate dinner there last Saturday. Shared a mixed platter and each had a papusa. We were seated and served quickly, our meal came in a very reasonable time and was hot.
Decor is a bit sparse, but we went for the food, not the ambiance.
Would recommend if you are looking for Mexican or Salvadoran fare at reasonable prices.