“2 stars because of the horrible weather.”

Maligne Lake Cruise
More attraction details
Owner description: Maligne Lake is the largest glacially formed and fed lake in the Canadian Rockies and those remnants of the last Ice Age still cling to the cliffs, rest in the cirques and cap off the pinnacles of Maligne Lakes' fabulous ring of 3,360 meter mountains. It is the melt waters of those glaciers that give the lake its' lovely, tranquil-blue colour and that backdrop of lofty peaks which holds back the busy world and provides a calming wilderness experience. World-famous Spirit Island, on Maligne Lake is the heart and soul of Jasper National Park. Accessible only by boat this diminutive icon of the Canadian Rockies is the destination point of the scenic Maligne Lake cruise. The worldwide fame of Maligne Lake is historically and intrinsically bound to the art of Photography. Diminutive Spirit Island, resting in the hall of the Gods at the south end of Maligne Lake is, arguably the most photographed locale in the Canadian Rockies.
Reviewed 27 December 2012

We did the Maligne Lake Cruise as part of a mediocre "Maligne Valley Wildlife and Waterfalls Tour & Cruise" from Maligne Tours Ltd., so didn't have to do the driving ourselves. On the way back, we did come across a small group of bighorn sheep, including a lamb, that seemed tamed- they would gather around the window of stopped cars to get a feed. Still cute and probably the highlight.
Anyway, I thought I'd post this review with photos to illustrate the lake on a bad weather day in Sept.- just for something different. The cruise itself is suppose to be $55 and 80min long, with 10min at Spirit Island. That's right- only 10min! If it weren't for the fact that it was snowing, windy and raining so badly that we were freezing, I'd definitely be complaining about how there wasn't enough time allowed on the Island. As it were, a few of the older tourists, including my parents, didn't even bother getting out of the boat and we couldn't see the spectacular mountain vistas at all. The weather did clear a bit near the end of our trip and what I could see of the scenery was nice enough. The guides were young and friendly, but they did push for tips and didn't look too happy when they received little. Why is Spirit Island so special? We were told that no-one even knows why it was so named. Maybe alcohol was secretly stashed away here during Prohibition or maybe there's a ghost child there. Still, if the weather had been clear and we saw the Island in all its glory, we might've been content.

Reviewed 14 November 2012

I am an above knee amputee on crutches- and I am very mobile. I was able to get on and off the boat not a problem, but the boat has a narrow isle and seating. Someone with less mobility then myself would have a difficult time. We went in August, and had a nice day – no rain, some clouds, not too hot. Of course nothing will ever beat the end of the boat trip when you get to take your very own picture of Spirit Island on Maligne Lake. Amazing !!! Worth every penny. We booked two adventure tours and saved.

** Wheelchair access to many area around the lake and to the boats - but not on the boat. Unless you can be carried/lifted or have some mobility.

2  Thank Tracey E
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I had seen so many photographs of Spirit Island so I was a little afraid I would be disappointed seeing it for real,in this case I am glad to say I was not. The cruise out on the lake was fun and the Skipper and First mate were great, very knowledgeable. Maligne lake is beautiful and Spirit Island is so lovely. Plenty of opportunity to take photographs. We didn't do the walks but they looked good as well. I would definately recommend this as a trip to do.

2  Thank Puma50
Reviewed 26 October 2012

We did the boat ride to Spirit Island. This was a lovely attraction with a view you will not soon forget, and an absolute paradise if you fancy yourself a photographer.

Likes: price was reasonable. You can get a bit of a discount if you book through one of the adventure tour places in Jasper and bundle it with some other activities like rafting or the tramway. It was raining when we got there, and even though our tickets were for 3pm, we were told we could wait it out and take one of the later boats to see if it would stop raining. That is just what we did, and we ended up going at 5pm instead and had amazing weather and photos, so that was great. While we waited, we did the short hike along the lakeshore. It was an easy walk and provided a few photo opportunities of the mountain, lake and wildlife.

The guide on the boat was friendly and informative and it made the boat ride very nice. The view of Spirit Island was simply breathtaking and worth every penny.

Dislikes:
1. Biggest dislike was that the boat only stops for about 30 minutes to get the pictures of Spirit Island. Do yourself a favour and sit near the back of the boat so you can be the first one off, and book it to the viewing platform as quick as you can.
2. Other drivers on the road that were going way too fast. Slow down! This is a national park and if you run over all the wildlife there won't be any left! In my opinion Parks Canada should totally install photo radar along these drives and ticket the hell out of people with no respect.

Keep in Mind: It was a bit of a drive ( I think about 2-3 hours) from Jasper. We were slowed down by stopping a few times to see wildlife on the sides of the road (some elk and bears). There are a few look off points to see along the way as well, so give yourself some time to take it slow and really enjoy all there is to see.

There is a cafeteria/restaurant at Maligne Lake, although I found it pricey. So I would pack some snacks, especially since there isn't really anywhere to stop and grab a snack along the drive to/from Jasper.

There is a canoe/kayak rental place so you can go explore out on the lak youself. I don't know the price of this as it was raining the day we went, although had it been nicer we totally would have done it. There are also some other, longer hikes you can do in the area, although again we were rained out of going on these.

7  Thank emilie728
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We had a guided-tour on Lake Maligne in a comfortable boat which fit all of our tour group. We got a chance for pictures and got to get off the boat at Spirit Island too. Very beautiful way to see a very beautiful area of Canada.

1  Thank Mary136