“What a view”

More attraction details
Owner description: Maligne Lake is the largest glacially formed and fed lake in the Canadian Rockies and those remnants of the last Ice Age still cling to the cliffs, rest in the cirques and cap off the pinnacles of Maligne Lakes' fabulous ring of 3,360 meter mountains. It is the melt waters of those glaciers that give the lake its' lovely, tranquil-blue colour and that backdrop of lofty peaks which holds back the busy world and provides a calming wilderness experience. World-famous Spirit Island, on Maligne Lake is the heart and soul of Jasper National Park. Accessible only by boat this diminutive icon of the Canadian Rockies is the destination point of the scenic Maligne Lake cruise. The worldwide fame of Maligne Lake is historically and intrinsically bound to the art of Photography. Diminutive Spirit Island, resting in the hall of the Gods at the south end of Maligne Lake is, arguably the most photographed locale in the Canadian Rockies.
Reviewed 14 October 2017

Well worth the money. Read a previous reviewer who complained about the view and $. Well the view is different from out in the middle. You are then surrounded by mountains 360. We did spirit island tour and really enjoyed the trip. Forget our guides names but they were boyfriend and girlfriend. Did a great job. Would recommend this trip to all that enjoy nature and beauty. We ate in the restaurant there and it was very good. Nice gift shop and bathrooms were clean.

Michelle_Booth1, Guest Relations Manager at Maligne Lake Cruise, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear debkayscu,
I strongly agree that what you can experience out in the middle of the lake is much different than what you see from the shore. Being surrounded on all sides by towering peaks is indescribable. Fantastic to hear you enjoyed your cruise. Thank you so much for your recommendation.
We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 14 October 2017 via mobile

We went in September when it had very recently snowed so there was a good amount of snow on the ground, which could making walking around the area slippery.

The cruise was nice. We took the premium tour which gives you an extra 15 minutes on the island (not Spirit Island itself). I think the boats are the same small boats with windows you could slide open if you wish. They also allow you to stand at the back of the boat which is not enclosed so you can get some nice views and pictures there if so inclined. Like everything else in the area, you will be charged a premium simply because they can. Our trip was $90+ per person, which felt quite pricey for what it was especially given that you don't get much time to actually enjoy being there. However if you must see it, this is the only way to get here unless you want to kayak here on your own. I don't regret coming but I don't know if I would do it again or recommend it.

The destination itself is obviously beautiful. The surrounding mountains were very scenic, particularly since they had a dusting of snow just recently.

As you may have read from the other reviews, you're not supposed to step foot in Spirit Island, or at least that's what they tell you. However, when I was there I definitely saw one person from one of the tours walking around ON the island, and I know everybody else saw him because he was not being discreet at all. Pretty sure the guides were told, however nobody said or did anything so...I'm not sure what that is about. Perhaps you're allowed on the island and I misunderstood.

Dear eltravelnotes,
Thanks for your thorough review! We do ask our guests not to walk out onto Spirit Island (via the land bridge that connects it to the mainland) and for the most part they're happy to oblige. Sometimes, though, due to language barriers or overexuberance, guests do walk out onto the island. Generally, if we notice this, we'll ask the guest to come back. If this wasn't the case when you were there, I'm honestly not sure why and I apologize. Apart from that I'm glad you enjoyed the cruise.
We'd love to see you back!

Reviewed 13 October 2017 via mobile

We went on the second last day of the season. It was a great intimate tour with around 10 passengers on the cruise. Alexis is such a great guide. The scenery was unreal. We had a fabulous time.

Dear Xinnie F,
I'm delighted to see what you've written about Alexis and about your cruise. I think Alexis is a very personable and upbeat guide and I'm sure it's very rewarding to her to see such positive comments. I'm happy you had a lovely, intimate tour.
Thanks for your review!

Reviewed 11 October 2017

We were a party of six, from UK and this was part of our schedule, travelling from Jasper to Calgary and we weren't disappointed.

Our two hosts were Sarah and Kelly and they were both excellent, giving detailed information about the lake and able to answer any questions.

Would highly recommend. We were also extremely fortunate that there had just been a a fall of snow and this just added to the beauty of the lake and the mountains.

Dear Rod M,
Fresh snow can absolutely make for some great photos. Being in the mountains and at a higher elevation we see our fair share of snow. I'm glad you had the true mountain experience. Thank you for your lovely words about the cruise and for acknowledging the efforts of your crew.
Thanks for your review!

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

Enjoyed the day immensely, got to take my brother out to see the glorious views of Spirit island and the Maligne lake area for the first time. Courteous staff and cruise, safe and enjoyable. Warm despite the cool October weather. Highly recommend.

Michelle_Booth1, Guest Relations Manager at Maligne Lake Cruise, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

Dear Brad M,
Thanks for bringing your brother out to enjoy our last day of cruising. We're so glad you were with us to close out the season. Thank you for your great comments about the cruise and your crew. Have a wonderful winter!