“Lacking basic housekeeping.”

Travelodge Chilliwack
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Chilliwack
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 17 August 2017

Shower had not been cleaned. Previous customers soap slime was on the soap holder in the shower. Thought at first it was a repair to the fiberglass, not. I could scrap it off with my finger nail. Ewe! What else had not been cleaned??
Also the staff was less than welcoming. Almost like it was an inconvenience that we were there. And no it wasn't a super late check in. They didn't bother to ask us at check out, "how was your stay?".

Room Tip: Also close to feed lot or cow pasture. You could smell the cow poo.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 August 2017 via mobile

We spent 6 nights in this hotel as we were visiting family. In general, the stay was a bit disappointing. In some reviews, it mentions that the mattresses of the beds were being replaced. Our room wasn't on that list, as ours were mediocre. I asked if it was possible to change rooms and they said they would do it, but then as we were away most of the day, coming back all rooms wee full so we had to stay. Housekeeping was a "surprise" pretty much every day. A few days they had "forgotten" to replace some or even all of the towels. Had to go to the frontdesk to ask for those. A few days the beds were not made up or the sheets were kind of pulled into place, but not really smoothed out, hanging way over the edge on one side or the other. So after 2-3 times, I asked the frontdesk person whether this was normal. They said "sorry" with the excuse being, "new staff". That to me says one of 2 things; too few staff, which means the supervisor doesn't have time to check the new staff's work or just a lack of quality/care. I was offered a discount at some point, but then the frontdesk person told me I'd booked and paid through a 3rd party so they couldn't do it. That blew me away as I'd booked through the Wyndham Group site, so go figure!
However, having said all this, If you stay for 1 night, those things would probably not matter, but for a bit longer stay they may happen.
Some other things; wifi was good, lots of parking space, pool/hot tub were nice, there is NO breakfast included, but the adjacent iHop is a nice option. Mind you though, again fine for a 1-2 night stay, as a breakfast is anywhere from $15-20 CAD per person, so does add to the expense. Based on my experience, I would recommend a short stay, but not a longer one!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Peter K
Reviewed 27 July 2017

Sure wish we had seen the reviews for this place before booking my Aunt here for what was supposed to be a retreat from touring the Fraser Valley. The checkin process should have been her first clue as the place was poorly organized. When she finally got into her room, it smelled like an old bar with a rancid smell of cigarette ashtrays. Trying to ignore the hair on the shower and the dirt on the floor, she went to change her toilet paper, only to find it was soaked in dried up urine. She brought this to the attention of the manager the next day, where she was accused of doing it herself. She asked if she could get another room and she was told abruptly, "no way, we are full. Besides, do you know what these rooms can be sold for right now?" She was so poorly mistreated, she called me in a sad state. So I called the manager to ask if there was something we could do, or if we needed to find another place. We had a reservation for 3 nights and if there wasn't anything they could do, then I thought for sure they would be happy to open up the room to the next high rate customer. I'm in the service business, so I understand the challenges of meeting different expectations. I was prepared to be understanding, but I wasn't prepared for the unprofessional and disrespectful attitude from the duty manager "Kladeer" (not sure how to spell that because he wouldn't bother telling me when I asked). I asked him why he accused my aunt of lying to him and why he wasn't willing to just simply allow us to checkout, cancelling the rest of our reservation. He insisted we pay for the extra night (not in our online agreement) at a higher rate if we wanted to checkout after the second night. He then abruptly said "I'm going to hang up now because I have more important things to do". What is more important than making your guests happy? We weren't being rude or demanding. We simply wanted to solve the problem which was made worse by their confrontational attitude. They are not service or hospitality minded. We were not expecting the Ritz. It's a Travelodge after all. But for the prices they think they deserve, I would expect more professional service. It's simply poorly managed on a shoestring. The cleaners also work in the restaurant and we were told they do not have proper cleaning towels. They use old towels ripped up and only vacuum once every 2 or 3 days. I can't imagine how often they change the sheets, but they probably never change the blankets. The list goes on and on, but save yourself the pain and heartache. Don't stay here unless you have no other choice.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room before you accept it.
2  Thank Dan H
Reviewed 25 July 2017

Google listing for this hotel has breakfast included however when asked at the front desk they said new management and no breakfast, which was ok as we enjoyed iHop right next to it however we did let them know to update the listing. The beds were alright for comfort however we had to have the bed sheets changed due to some stains which we had to do ourselves as there apparently was no housekeeping available. The front desk gentleman who was very friendly however just passed us the sheets. Wifi was sketchy and kept disconnecting. Pool hours are not accommodating as it shuts down early evening and opens later in the day (at time of checkout). We only needed the one night stay and everything else was pretty much sold out so it worked alright as we had gone to Cultus Lake then the following day had Othello Tunnels scheduled therefore being near the Highway and easily accessible coming from Cultus Lake made it a convenient stay.

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge