Buccaneer Inn(Nanaimo)
Agoda.com
US$136
US$118
US$152
Painted Turtle Guesthouse(Nanaimo)(Great Value!)
Hotels.com
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewscontinental breakfasthot tubpaddle boatsrooms facewafflesseparate buildingsliding glass doorsmall gymhard boiled eggsthe ground flooroff the highwaylovely spotthe breakfast areabeautiful viewtwo queen bedswaffle makera great place to stay
Reviewed 3 February 2012

We just spent a night there and were very pleasantly surprised with the location and all the amenities. The complimentary breakfast had a large variety of healthy choices and the staff were very friendly, helpful & accommodating. The rooms are spacious, the beds very comfortable and the view is wonderful. Even though there is a main highway nearby the rooms are sound proof. Lovely grounds and good hot tub/docks & walking paths.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank QCIliving
NanaimoManager, Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2012

I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We try to provide a nice selection for breakfast, from pastries to yogurt and fresh fruit. The "Make Your Own" waffles are immensely popular too, and very tasty.
We receive many compliments on our wonderful beds, and I feel that the view from our rooms just can't be beat. I always enjoy looking out over the lake, and love seeing the birds and other wildlife there.

Reviewed 3 December 2011

Went to both the grand and inn on long lake within the same week. Much better value at the inn. The grand had snobby staff, no breakfast, freezing cold pool, pay Internet and nothing to offer. Went down the street and stayed at the inn on long lake. No pool, but a very nice hot tub, free Internet, breakfast, very friendly service, views of the lake, and a lot more. Rooms were a little dated compared to the grand, but I can forgive that. Was there for work, but brought the family a couple nights to both. Wife and kids totally agree. Oh, and it was cheaper!

• Stayed: November 2011
3  Thank Tuxedocivic
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2012

Thank you for this review. It is seldom that people stay at both hotels in such a short time span, and provide reviews. I am pleased that in such a direct comparison we stack up well against our neighbouring competition. We are aware of, and are working on the updates that the hotel requires ( a never ending process, really). I feel that we have a wonderful staff at our hotel, who work hard to make all our guests feel at home.

Reviewed 29 September 2011

I stayed at this hotel for one night. The rooms are very basic and dated, but clean. While it does look out over a lake, it is situated right on the main highway of Vancouver Island and I was very aware of the highway all night. The breakfast area is very neat and clean with seating also available on a patio when the weather is nice lookinh out at the lake. Fairly basic, inexpensive place to stay for one night. Not sure I'd want to stay there for more than 1 night.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank nkrannitz
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2011

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to Nanaimo, and for taking the time to review our property.
We definitely think of ourselves as being more than "Basic Accommodation", but I do understand that there are many levels and standards that people may judge us by. We do have many guests who are very happy in our rooms on either one night stays, or for much longer visits. I will say that there are many photos of our hotel and rooms on our website (photo gallery or Virtual Tour) for all to see. We also offer Business Class King rooms, or 1 bedroom Executive Suites that may be better suited to your tastes, or for longer stays.
The hotels proximity to the highway is something that I certainly cannot change. We, like most hotels in Nanaimo, are located close to Highway 19A. While any highway noise usually drops significantly by the evening. However, we do have a few light sleepers that are still bothered, and we certainly try to accommodate them in the rooms further from the highway, where noise is definitely not an issue.
I do hope that you will return to our hotel on your next visit, and perhaps look at our other room options that may better suit your requirements and standards.
James Young

Reviewed 28 September 2011

I would whole-heartedly recommend this hotel. My room was large, comfortable and quiet. TV channels were plentiful (many U.S. options). The front desk was exceptionally friendly, patient and helpful. Breakfast very good and the breads and pastries fresh. View of lake very lovely and tranquil. Grounds are obviously well-kept. My only small complaint was about housekeeping - coffee suppled in room when I arrived was only decaf and one day I was left with only one facial tissue in the box. Also, screen on balcony door needed repair. Otherwise my stay was quite perfect.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Pam M

Thank you for the review, and thank you for posting the lovely photo from your balcony. It is a beautiful view over the lake, and one that I never get tired of seeing. We have posted many of our lake photos on our website. It is particularly lovely seeing the sunrise at the opposite end of the lake.
I do apologize for the Housekeeping issues, and the maintenance issue with your screen door. We do keep working with our staff to eliminate these small errors and make our property even better.
I look forward to seeing you on your next visit to our hotel, and our wonderful lake!

James Young

Reviewed 14 September 2011

I stay in Nanaimo on business about three times a year. I have stayed in almost every hotel and this is the best in my opinion. I love the balconies and the view. The room is comfortable and feels like home as I'm there enough and I like it. The rooms can be a bit cold in winter and like any hotel, an adjoining room is not as quiet as one without a door to the next room but other than that, I have no negative comments. If you're looking for a great place to stay in this price range, you can't go wrong.

Room Tip: I've always stayed on the top floor and I would recommend it. There's no-one to make noise above you and the view is great (if you ignore the highway in the distance - it is Nanaimo after all).
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank rubytuesday16
NanaimoManager, Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We certainly hope that we can make our guests feel at home. The view of the lake just can't be beat, whichever floor you are on.
It is nice to see reviews from one of our many repeat customers, many of which use our hotel as their "home base" or "home-away-from-home" whenever they travel to Nanaimo, whether it is once a week, or once a year.
We are looking at options to try to minimize the problem of noise between adjoining rooms, as that can be an annoyance on occasion, depending on your neighbour of course.
We will continue to work to keep you coming back to our property whenever you are in Nanaimo.
Thank you.