“Create your own dishes to your own tastes”

Dragon Stone Mongolian Grill
Ranked #29 of 256 Restaurants in Prince George
Description: Our goal is to provide a fresh, healthy, and delicious, dining option to the Prince George community. With our vast buffet of fresh vegetables, tender noodles, savoury meats, rich seafood, and flavourful sauces, the possibilities are endless. With so many choices no two bowls will be the same, so make as many trips to the grill as you'd like. After watching our Stone Master's grill your meal to perfection don't forget to let it cool down before digging in, because this food is hot! If you're in a hurry Dragon Stone is the place for you. Whether dining-in, or taking-out, we are able to provide you with a healthy, hot, meal fast. Allergies or dietary restrictions? Our buffet is dairy and MSG free, and we have many options that may be suitable for guests who cannot consume gluten, soy, sodium, nuts, seafood, and animal products, as well as other allergens. Our team is here to help, so please inform us of any allergies or dietary restrictions before selecting ingredients from the buffet so that we can heat and allergy pan and answer any questions you may have. We cannot wait to serve you!
Reviewed 20 July 2018

How many times have we been to a restaurant and ordered dishes on the menu and then, on tasting them, said to ourselves: gosh, it is too bland, it is too fatty, it is too hot, it is too oily, it is too peppery, it is too rich, it is too salty, it is too spicy, it is too sweet or even describing the food using a combination of some of those same attributes? The fault is with the chef, obviously, we think. How is the chef to know what our tastes are like? He or she cannot guess our preferences unless we tell the server at the time of placing the order what we (you, the reader and I) expect – that is exactly what my wife does often: no exotic sauces, no garlic, no spices and not oily at all – she wants things plain and simple. What would you think and do if you could do something about the taste? Well, you can do exactly that at the Dragon Stone Mongolian Grill.

This is a restaurant where a whole array of ingredients, vegetables, meat, and sea-foods are on display buffet-style, and kept suitably cold or cool and from which you can select and pick your ingredients, place them in aluminium bowls, select and add your preferred spices or flavourings or sauces in the quantity you carefully choose. In addition to the oil(s), flavourings include salt water, ginger water, soy sauce, teppanyaki sauce, and Thai sauce of some sort, etc. You then pass on the bowl to the chef, who transfers the contents to a large circular iron/steel griddle, which from where I stood looked like it had a diameter of about 1.2m – do feel free to correct me if I am wrong. After transferring the contents, the chef places the bowl on top of food so as to cook the food under the raised temperature of the griddle and whatever steam or moisture that may be present. At any one time there may be eight to ten or even twelve bowls of food being cooked in this manner on the griddle as diners keep bringing bowls. Once in a while the chef, in this case a lady would lift the bowl to monitor how the cooking was progressing, and also to stir the food. Once she decides that the “dish” a person or diner or patron had concocted is ready to serve, she transfers it to a plate and hands it to the person who is waiting with, I suppose, patient expectations.

I thought the food was more a stir-fried than grilled, despite the term “grill” in name of the eat-all-you-can buffet restaurant. If the taste is not what one expects, one can try adding more or less flavourings/sauces the next time round. The two of us who eschewed plain and simple cooking that my wife loves, had to adjust the quantity and type of flavourings on subsequent rounds. That could well be the case with other diners at this restaurant, I assume.

There are no restrictions – one can have any combination of food items as also sauces, flavourings, sauces, and go back any number of times as one is hungry or can eat.

When we arrived as a party of three people, there were groups of people waiting for their tables; we had to wait about 10 minutes before we had a table. Each of us had three rounds and that was enough for us, but we did see some people going back to have more. I was looking for fish but unfortunately could not find that item. There were shrimps and cockles, though and meat such as chicken, beef and undoubtedly a wide array of vegetables like bell peppers, courgette, mushrooms, bean sprouts, snow-peas, carrots to name just a few, and all mostly very thinly sliced to allow for quick cooking.

Having had the food, we signalled to waiter who happened to be at a nearby table -- she offered us a small choice of desserts. We waited for the dessert and our order was delivered, this time by the server who had previously brought us to our table. She had a friendly smile on her face unlike some of the “New Canadians” at some other restaurants we had visited whilst in Canada, who “greet” diners with permanently sulky faces betraying characteristics that absolutely do not resonate with the notion of friendly, welcoming hospitality. A welcoming attitude goes some way in enhancing the dining experience, even if the food is not up to expectations. I paid at the counter and left a tip for that friendly server and not forgetting the chef, I also made sure that she got her tip – there was a container conveniently placed on the table in front of the chef and I left a tip for her and she acknowledged that gesture with a nod and a smile – incidentally, there were two griddles and two chefs at work on our visit.

PS: Apparently the Mongolians who reached China travelled light with little cooking utensils and had their meals, very often meats grilled simply and quickly. That may account for the name I suspect. Do ask the restaurant about the name should you chance to visit Mongolian Grill.

Date of visit: May 2018

Reviewed 8 July 2018

I love this model. I went here for lunch and dinner while visiting PG. I loved the fact that I could pick and choose exactly what I wanted in my meal. Flavours were great. The explanation about how to choose sauces and how much to fill up your bowl were helpful. Staff were attentive too. I'll be happy to return here on subsequent visits.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 6 July 2018 via mobile

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Just excellent service from all the staff. Always on the lookout for what they can do too help. I've been to what is supposed to be higher end restaurants who didn't have near as good service. Dinner buffet at $20 plus $3 for bottomless pop. Includes a sorbet dessert. Mix and match items and sauces. Dont know how the grill people managed to keep track of which order belongs to which person but no problems. Half a dozen meat options. Lots to choose from. Extra sauce at the table if you want more. Great experience.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 2 July 2018

We like to take friends here who have never been! They always like it!! We can depend on this place to be clean, have good service, and always fresh food. It is very helpful that they put suggestions on the board for first-timers! You can choose from whatever meat/veggies/noodles or rice/sauces or soup you like and even try something new!

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 25 June 2018

What's not to like about a restaurant where you determine the size of your meal and the ingredients that go into it? The place is clean and spacious. There is no shortage of choices for what you can put into your dish. Sauces and vegetables are great. Staff is friendly and efficient. It's an all you can eat restaurant so you can go back for seconds!

Date of visit: June 2018