“Pastrami Of By and For all Mensches”

Mensch. Jewish Delicatessen
Ranked #1,579 of 3,897 Restaurants in Vancouver
Price range: US$7 - US$14
Neighbourhood: Gastown
Description: A Jewish Delicatessen in Vancouver BC
Reviewed 30 October 2016

The pastrami was outrageously delicious. First I am a 71 year old son of two true New York Jews and as everyone knows it is only Jews from New York that are the true judges of good pastrami. I have had this staple of Jewish soul food from New York to Los Angeles and after living in Birmingham Alabama for 10 years I feel I can offer an opinion on both highs and lows.
I recently spent 3 weeks between Vancouver and Vancouver Island. Suffice to say Mensch was a real highlight. A true mom and pop deli the menu consists of 4 items. A pastrami, Ruben and for some reason egg salad sandwiches; and a lox and bagel.
Everything is home made..I mean really home made. They MAKE their own pastrami and lox. They make their own brine and order beef from Alberta. The lox is made by curing the very fresh salmon in a beet mixture which makes for a very different looking and mild tasting lox. So to all who crave a great experience stop by Mensch and enjoy.

1  Thank GomezAtlanta

Reviewed 16 September 2016

I was travelling by transit and I knew Mensch was near the skytrain station. I heard it was open as a pop up and I thought I had to try it.
I ordered the full sandwich; I am not a half sandwich kind of person. Turns out, a half would have been fine. The sandwich is large and filling. Nice, tender, thick cut pastrami on rye was just right.
I took the cute little cardboard box down the street to a little park and ate half. The rest I saved for later. I would certainly go there again.
My only criticism is that the price is a bit too high.

Reviewed 1 September 2016 via mobile

Got a Reuben sandwich and an egg salad sandwich. Food was good but very over priced. $19 dollars Ruben sandwich? Comes with nothing but a pickle.

Reviewed 24 August 2016

Pastrami on freshly-baked light rye bread, perfect amount of mustard, best dill pickle. This is what Mensch Jewish Delicatessen offers. Not Kosher, but nicely cured beef, hand cut, (thick slices) 10oz on the full-size, less on half. Best to share the full-size, my opinion. Egg salad sandwich and beet-cured lox also available.

This pop-up cures the beef to delicious pastrami on site. Very clean space. Jovial proprietor. Mensch will become full service with expanded hours in September.

Easily reached on East Broadway by 8Fraser Bus, 99Bline, and 9Broadway. Lots of street parking.

1  Thank vancouvermuffy2016