“Great spot by some good peeps”

Johnnie Fox's Irish Snug
Ranked #348 of 4,036 Restaurants in Vancouver
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: After-hours
Neighbourhood: Granville Street
Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

This spot has absolutely awesome Irish food, I had a twist on the Canadian poutine- bangers and Guinness gravy!!! So amazing. Best poutine ever!
To order a Guinness just hold up how many fingers you need.
The entire staff is native to Ireland and very nice and fun to chat with.
This is a small place “snug” as it is called, so plan on crowding in to wait for a stool.

Reviewed 9 December 2017

My son got married in Canada and kept talking about a place they got the best fish he has ever had. Fast forward five years and I had to ask where this place was as we decided, we too, wanted to try the best fish we might ever have.

We found parking out front on the sidewalk, at a meter, yes, I said sidewalk you silly American. We were like WTF is this, are we sure? Sure we're sure everyone else is up on the sidewalk and gee we got lucky we are actually getting to park our free upgraded rental Mercedes right in front of Canada's oldest Adult Toy stores. You betcha.

So, we now understand we may be in the Adult entertainment zone, yay us. We go to the bar and snag the last two seats at the end in the back. This place is the typical narrow, overly dark, super SUPER load bars. OMG, I suddenly felt like I was 400 million years old. These whippersnappers were making me think of the commercial where the lady asks, "does that have to be so loud?" For the love of God people why does drinking make you deaf and have to yell?

We are getting the stare down from the 20 somethings, like you 40 somethings might be up past your bedtime at 8pm. I am starting to agree. Then I spot it, right behind my husband at the one of two booths I was coveting, was a man looking to be pushing 80 and two women pushing 60 but dressed like 20 somethings. That is fine, no worries, I am watching them pull out their cheaters to read the menu and their cell phones for light.

The menu online is not updated to reflect their current menu, we made the mistake of looking online so we would be prepared, but they quit making several items, so don't do it and get excited about something, the way my husband did. He was not going the fish route.

Our waitress was on it, mostly. There was a crowd of 20 somethings packed into the very last booth and the ones that didn't fit were practically sitting on my husbands lap, it was insane. I am not sure even at 20, pre heavy metal concerts, I could have heard my friends in that bar. It was so loud. Did i Mention loud?

I had zero hopes this was the RIGHT place my son sent me too, now I am furiously texting my son back in the States asking, "are you sure?" He says, "sure I am sure" and sent me a picture of him in the booth I desperately wanted from that old dude because I was pretty sure the high back of it would sure drown out the 20 something drunk drone. Sure i am sure it would have.

I still questioned the photographic evidence, we held the phone up to make sure. In five years some things had changed but not enough to discredit said son. Then my husband points out at the time of his marriage he too was a 20 something probably loud, as well. How could this place produce anything but pub food smashed down by the volume of their patrons?

Well, they manage and it was shockingly good. i know that sounds insulting, but really I am glad after 30 years of marriage I can carry on a conversation with my husband through a series of head nods, eye rolls, gentle leg nudges and slight head tilts with eyebrow raises placed strategically and we don't have to hear each other to convey the message of, oh crap we are now the 40 somethings in a herd of 20 somethings, that I am not sure we can even say our "those silly millennials" jokes. These are really young people. Which we notice they keep eyeing us down, I start giving them the nod to them, like yep it could be YOUR parents here, so be thankful they stayed home in bed.

Anyway, the fish was good but very thin, my son said that isn't the fish of five years ago. I wouldn't order it again, but it was good. The slaw was decent, my husband didn't like the bite I gave him. He had some kind of a irish meat dish that consisted of beef chunks and gravy, basically beef stew. He liked it well enough. Our wings were really good. We were drinking soda water with lime, which if that's all we were doing, I would understand the slower return of the waitress. I know she was busy, but refills would have been great.

This isn't typical bar food, it shows up on nice heavy white plates, and it is presented well, not a plastic basket with checkered paper here.

It is worth a stop in for sure and especially, if you are all about the pub crawl. Not us 40 somethings, we were off to see a movie that started at 10:30 and yes we stayed awake for the entire thing!

Reviewed 14 November 2017

A comfortable Irish pub that was packed on a sunday afternoon with Irish Millenials. To hear the North Side Dub accents warmed me heart. The pint is fresh and tasty, the food hand made. I had the Double burger w/fries and had trouble finishing it. Scrumptious!!

Reviewed 26 September 2017

My wife and I stopped in to this little pub on Granville Street for Happy Hour a week ago.
If you enjoy Guinness and authentic Irish Pub atmosphere, this is a great place to go. We had Johnny's Yorkies as an afternoon appetizer. WOW! 3 yorkies filled with slices of roast beef and both gravy and horseradish dips on the side. Absolutely delicious. We will definitely return next time in downtown Vancouver.

Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

We came in for lunch and met a great bartender that provided excellent service. The food was delicious. We had several appetizers that we could share.