“Good deli counter with good sandwiches”

La Grotta Del Formaggio
Ranked #943 of 3,870 Restaurants in Vancouver
Price range: US$4 - US$8
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Italian
Dining options: Takeout
Neighbourhood: Commercial Drive
Reviewed 30 May 2017

I had wanted to go to La Grotta for a long time, but every time I was in the area it seemed that I had other plans. I finally made it happen and stopped in for a sandwich. I ordered and they put it in the panini press for me and 5 minutes later I was walking down Commercial enjoying my sandwich.

It wasn't amazing, but it was tasty. Most important for me was the store. They sell a great range of Italian products and the staff seems pretty proud of the work they are doing. This is the kind of independent store we need more of in every city - but particularly in Vancouver.

Reviewed 31 January 2017

The panini sandwich we got while on our Taste of Vancouver Walking tour was so delicious. I'm mad at our tour guide for telling us to pace ourself as you won't have room for all the goodies we're going to eat on the tour so I took one of the smaller piece of the panini. I wish I'd taken the largest one it was so good. Loads of meat, cheese, pickled eggplant and roasted peppers and great tasting mustard.

This place is busy and lots of people working but make sure you make eye contact to get them to take your order. there also have some great pasta dishes, oils, pastas and specialty Italian cooking goodies

Reviewed 25 December 2016 via mobile

They have not a bad variety of cheese and deli meat. Not the most extensive or great variety but if you are after non standard "run of the mill" cheeses (ie. supermarket cheese) then this is worth visiting. It doesn't compare to the variety and quality of cheese you can get in Quebec.

Reviewed 17 August 2016 via mobile

This is the best place in the neighbourhood to pick up a sandwich. With several meats and cheeses to choose from, and an array of veggies and condiments, the possibilities are endless. The sandwiches are generous and reasonably priced. There is some outdoor seating, but I always get my sandwich to go.

Reviewed 24 June 2016 via mobile

This small gem is a must visit, serving up amazing Italian sandwiches with fresh ingredients from the motherland! These sandwiches are to die for!!!!!!! Attached is a bakery, blown away, all I really have to say! I come here all the way from Surrey (30-45min drive) just to enjoy what they have to offer! Magnifico