“Fairmont Pacific Rim”

Ranked #2 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Fairmont Pacific Rim”
Reviewed 31 March 2012

8/2/12 I stayed at the hotel for one night on my way back to Britain from Australia. I was given an early check in at 8.30am on the morning of the 8th and late check out at 2.00pm on the 9th. This was at no extra charge which was excellent.
The hotel in a great position for the city centre and shopping. I used the sky train to come from the airport and the hotel is a 10 minute walk from the nearest stop.
The pool and hot tub are outside but lovely and hot, you get a robe to go back and forth. The room was very nice with two queen beds, even a TV in the bathroom.
Would use the hotel in the future for a longer stay.

Room Tip: There is a city view or sea view.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (720)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I'm not sure what to say other than this is the best hotel I have ever stayed at. First, the location is wonderful: right in downtown Vancouver overlooking the harbor, and right across the street from the Vancouver Convention Center. It is easily within walking distance of Gastown, and a short ride or long walk to Stanley Park and the aquarium. It was very easy to jump on the Sea to Sky highway to Whistler from here also (approximately two hour drive through some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen).

What really separates this hotel, however, is the remarkable friendliness, courtesy, and thoughtfulness of the staff. You are basically treated like royalty from the moment you enter the hotel. Everyone that we encountered, whether it was the doorman, front desk, concierge, or housekeeping, was incredibly nice. I have never seen anything like it.

The quality of the hotel is top notch. The rooms are amazing. The hotel restaurant (Oru) is top notch. The pool is located outside on the roof, but is heated such that it was comfortable even in outside temps of 40 degrees (F).

In summary, I cannot think of one negative thing to say about the hotel, other than it's a little pricy. Sometimes you get what you pay for though.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Canada
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We stay here every couple months. It's our home away from home. We stay on the Gold Floor which is worth the extra cost and more! The breakfast is amazing to wake-up to every mornings. All the snacks, teas, coffees through the day are fabulous as well. They make us feel at home and do everything they can to make all their guests feel comfortable. All the staff are amazing with children and even once sent a little doll home with me for our daughter when I was staying here without her. So sweet. The pool is fantastic and even on rainy days you can use the nice hot tub area. We love the property. The entire hotel staff are friendly and we love the modern design feel of this Fairmont.

There is only one little tip. If you have allergies or are sensitive to scents, ask for your room not to have room spray during your stay. It's a perfume they spray to freshen up the room/bed. It gives me a migraine style headache, so I ask for none. They are happy to accommodate the request though!

Room Tip: Ask for a Japanese soaking tub room! The tub is huge and so relaxing with a view of the harbour.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
FairmontPacificRim, Director of Operations at Fairmont Pacific Rim, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Thank you selecting Fairmont Pacific Rim as your home away from home! We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay on Fairmont Gold including the deluxe continental breakfast that is served in the exclusive Fairmont Gold Lounge. We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future!

BC
Reviewed 27 March 2012

My husband and I chose this hotel for a weekend getaway to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We spent a great afternoon at the spa and went from the spa to reception to check in. Although we were well after check in time, our room was not ready. They offered us an "upgrade" to a larger room with no view but we chose to wait, having reserved a view room well in advance. In exchange for the inconvenience, they offered us a drink in the lounge. As I don't drink, this was little compensation for me. I had greasy hair from my massage and just wanted to go relax. After over an hour of waiting, we were finally let into our room. Our bags took another 30 minutes to arrive after which we received more effusive apologies and a delivery of sparkling water and chocolates to our room. The room was lovely but the service was very stuffy and pretentious. I would have preferred they just apologize and reduce the exorbitant rate they charge for rooms here rather than continually inconveniencing us and apologizing (in a most over-the-top manner as though they were addressing royalty) with nickel and dime freebies. I will not stay here again despite the wonderful spa experience and lovely room. Too much money for the service!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank mactravelfamily
Thank you for selecting Fairmont Pacific Rim for your very special wedding anniversary occasion. We are very disappointed to hear that we didn’t deliver on our service promise for you. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and will ensure your comments are communicated to our team. Please feel free to contact me directly at Rudolf.gimmi@fairmont.com to discuss your feedback further. We hope you will reconsider and allow us the opportunity to welcome you back to experience the service our hotel has become known for since opening our doors!

Montreal
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Stayed here one night before the long flight to Sydney for a vacation in Oz. Of all the numerous Fairmont hotels I have stayed at, this one has the most unappealing lobby. Marble everywhere, quite opulent. But the lobby feels cramped for space, given the size of the hotel. Not a big deal, but noticeably poor design choices, including the lobby bar seating and furniture.The hotel room was very modern and well equiped. Beautiful bathroom, where the ever present use of marble is in good taste. The coffee and food in Giovanni's lobby cafe are great, and the food for lunch in Oru was also very tasty. Service in the hotel is very professional and friendly. But then I tried to print boarding passes- asked for business center. There isn't one! How can a 5* Fairmont hotel not have a business center? Especially since the hotel is immediately adjacent to the convention center? The concierge helped, but I wasn't able to choose seats (he was busy) and I had to provide private passport info to him. As they say, there are choices.......not sure I'd choose to go back.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
FairmontPacificRim, Director of Operations at Fairmont Pacific Rim, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Thank you for selecting Fairmont Pacific Rim during your recent visit. We are disappointed to hear your impression of the design but thank you for sharing your points with us. Given the less than inviting automated business amenities we previously offered, we recently changed to a more guest directed offering where guests can print from the privacy of their guest room or the public areas of the hotel and have seen great improvements in guest satisfaction since then. In regards to the boarding passes, we’re currently in the process of installing a kiosk solution where guests can check in for their flight with six major airlines servicing YVR directly in our lobby, which will ensure that issues such as the one you experienced won’t repeat itself. Please feel free to contact me directly at rudolf.gimmi@fairmont.com should you wish to discuss your feedback further. We do hope that you will reconsider and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to Fairmont Pacific Rim in the future.