“A great experience - but we were shorted 5 minutes of a 20 minute flight”

Harbour Air Seaplanes
More attraction details
Owner description: Come aboard for a scenic seaplane flight and experience an authentic west coast way of life. Out here, this is how we travel for work, for fun and sometimes just for the view! Join us for a tour or scheduled flight today and see BC the way we do. You've come all the way west, the only direction left to go is up!
Reviewed 7 January 2018

As a pilot I love aerial tours of placed I haven't visited - and especially in a seaplane. I've done a number of these tours over the years and have rarely paid for a ride that was for the full advertised duration. I could go into a lengthy discussion of how airplane costs are tracked using something called a "hobbs meter" but most people reading this review would find it boring. From the minute we pushed away from the dock to the minute we touched down we flew for exactly 16 minutes. When I booked the flight the reservation people assured me the tour was 20 minutes from the minute the pontoons left the water to the minute they touched down again. I signed my son, wife, and myself up for the tour for $315CAN - which comes to $15.75 / minute. If we got shorted 4 minutes, that's $63CAN. Getting shorted 4 minutes isn't a big deal - but when you're essentially paying by the minute, getting shorted 4 minutes is almost 20% of the total 20 minute flight time.

Bottom line - the advertising feels deceptive and the pilot even admitted they get in trouble for going over - which I understand. Definitely do one of these flights on a blue-bird day and just know you won't get a full 20 minutes. Set your expectations that you'll get 75% of what you've paid for - and you'll be alright.

The other upsides - the staff could not have been friendlier and it's a very professionally run operation. I felt very safe and I got to ride with the pilot - he was excellent.

HarbourAirSeaplanes, Guest Relations Manager at Harbour Air Seaplanes, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2018

Dear HGPilot,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent scenic flight. We're glad to hear that you enjoyed the overall experience, however we are sorry to hear about your disappointment with the length of the trip. As you were informed by our staff, the advertised flight duration for our scenic tours is intended to be flight time between take off and landing. We strive to offer a memorable and enjoyable experience for our guests and we would appreciate the opportunity to follow up with you. Our Customer Care team would be happy to look further into the issue you experienced, please email them directly at customercare@harbourair.com.

-Harbour Air TripAdvisor Team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,170)
All reviews
in 19 reviews
"bucket list"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed 4 January 2018

HarbourAirSeaplanes, Guest Relations Manager at Harbour Air Seaplanes, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2018

Reviewed 3 January 2018

HarbourAirSeaplanes, Guest Relations Manager at Harbour Air Seaplanes, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2018

Reviewed 3 January 2018

Harbour Air was great! Everything from check-in to the actual flight with Neil (our pilot) was personal, friendly, and fun. My friend even got to sit next to the pilot, which added to the experience. It was my first time on a seaplane and I truly enjoyed the experience, sights, and memories I'll take away from the experience.

Dear David J,

Thank you so much for your five-star review! We're so happy to hear you enjoyed your first time flying in a seaplane! Neil will be pleased to hear you enjoyed sitting up front in the co-pilot seat - it certainly does make for a memorable flight. We hope to welcome you aboard again someday!

-Harbour Air TripAdvisor Team