“Recommended Japanese restaurant downtwon Vancouver”
Review of Kamei Baru

Kamei Baru
Reserve with OpenTable
Kamei Baru is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #396 of 4,035 Restaurants in Vancouver
Price range: US$11 - US$19
Cuisines: Japanese
Neighbourhood: Granville Street
Description: Introducing and spreading Japanese seafood from 1972, today we are the most experienced traditional and fusion Japanese seafood restaurant in Vancouver. Now we introduce another new level of fusion seafood. We introduce Kamei Baru.
Reviewed 21 January 2018

We had a very good lunch special at Kamei Baru in downtown before going to the movies. The lunch menu was very affordable and with moderate prices. They also have a ramen menu. The service was speedy and staff was courteous. The deep fried chicken just needed a little adjustment at the frying machine to fry a little more. Hope next time will be perfect! The tempura was very crispy! It is a pity they do not open for lunch on Saturdays and Sundays. They have different menus for lunch, dinner and happy hour! try it... The ambiance is quite pleasant and bright, lots of tv sets to watch the games for happy hour!

Reviewed 6 January 2018

The food here is always very tasty, but I come only for the food. The service is always perfunctory and mediocre. When I visit and am one of the only customers, I get basic adequate service, nothing noteworthy at all except for how little effort the staff puts into making their customers feel welcome.
Yesterday I visited and it was very busy. Terrible service! I waited twenty minutes after finishing my meal for the waitress to give me any attention. I had pushed my plate to the opposite side of the table. It was crystal clear that I was finished. But here, you get seated, your order taken, food delivered and bill delivered. No one engages you or ever inquires if you are enjoying yourself whether it be several minutes after food is delivered or at bill time. This place would be far superior if the servers got some training in how to engage rather than just "process" a customer. Really perfunctory.

Reviewed 26 December 2017

A big positive was the restaurant being open on Xmas. The menu is extensive and the food is quite good, especially the samurai roll. There was a mix up in our order and we ended up being served a dish that we really liked instead of the box we ordered. The box was eventually delivered but after an extended wait. If it had been another day, we might have decided to head to another place, but we knew we had very limited options. While the menu was extensive, the menu presentation was more cartoon-like than serious. The many photos are not helpful and distract. There were many things we liked, but others distracted. For sushi in Vancouver, Kamai was not setting a high bar.

Reviewed 30 November 2017 via mobile

Friendly service visited during happy hour felt little overpriced considering the quality and presentation of the items on the table. Drinks were good

Reviewed 23 November 2017 via mobile

I remember once going to this place before and the sushi was pretty fresh. My husband and I went again recently and found the portion size to be extremely stingy and the service was probably among the worst of our lives. We ordered a couple sushi rolls and and salmon chirashi. For the salmon chirashi, there were FOUR very thinly sliced salmon nigiri’s on the bowl. The slices were so thin it was almost translucent. Come on guys, that’s way too cheap. We’ve been to all the best sushi restaurants in Vancouver, and we haven’t encountered a place SO stingy! The sushi rolls were nothing special. We would’ve just shrugged and forgotten about this place, had the service been so absolutely atrocious! We had a female waitress at the beginning who was not particularly friendly who took our order. After we ordered, she went “that’s it?” And left. She never came back. Someone else brought us our food and she forgot my husband’s water. He waved at her from across the room and she just ignored him and chatted with another waitress. It wasn’t until the very end of our meal when we were finally able to catch the attention of another server and my husband got his water and we got the bill. What rude service. I’ll never come back again.