“Yum! ”
Review of Tojo's Restaurant

Tojo's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Tojo's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #232 of 4,064 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Shaughnessy
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

Very good sushi! Higher prices but the quality is top notch. Servers were super friendly!
I read about them in a magazine stating they were one of the top five sushi restaurants in the world and they definitely didn’t disappoint!

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

My whole life my mom told me I have to try Tojo’s. We finally went together for dinner in January 2018. The food and service was amazing! Our favourite dish was The Tojo’s chicken ($36) and our favourite roll was the Golden roll ($28). The only thing we didn’t love was the mixed tempura ($32).
Sadly I have had better Japanese food for a WAAAAAAAY better price. Our bill came to over $200 for just the TWO of us. It was delicious but I won’t be rushing back to spend that kind of money on sushi, chicken and rice. $$$$$

~Thanks

Reviewed 2 March 2018

At first I was somewhat irked that the nigiri selection was limited to a pseudo-omakase offering. All the menu listed were appetizers, warm dishes, rolls and sashimi. As I am not a fan of the latter, I chose the one nirigi offering and was not disappointed. Even better, the rolls were the best I have had. I usually avoid fusion cuisine, but Tojo really knows how to make non-traditional food with an air of elegant tradition. The golden roll was bliss. So was the spider roll. Paired with delicious shochu and the best cheesecake (albeit small) sublime. Prices are, indeed, on the high side. But being assisted by the man himself – who is an institution – make it worth wile. Yes, I will come back. If anything for the best cheesecake on the planet.

Reviewed 24 February 2018

Sure you can go here and pass major celebrities on the way to the bathroom, but does that make it a worthwhile place to eat?

Do NOT come here as a first time experience with sushi. Make sure you know what you like and don't like before you come here.

At $100 - $200 a person This can be a very expensive meal. Suit and tie kinda meal.

If you are going to go here; get reservations and plan to belly up to the bar. When they ask you what you want say, "Omakase".... it is a Japanese phrase that means "I'll leave it up to you". Make sure you set some ground rules before they bring you anything. If you don't like crab or mackerel or yellow snapper.....Tell them! Then just sit back and eat what they bring you. Eat until you are full or until you run out of money. Whatever comes first. I set a limit of $100 per person, and i left hungry.

As for the service, well it seems that the Itamae for whom the restaurant is named is too important to show up, even when reservations have been made and a visit from the famous chef was promised. As for the rest of the staff? They all seem to operate under the understanding that there is little to no contact to be made with the public. I found them to be brusk almost to the point of being rude. An attitude I personally find annoying but typical in expensive places like this.

While this is one of the better sushi places i know, personally I can't justify the cost. I can have better sushi for a lot less. Check my reviews for suggestions.

2  Thank A C
Reviewed 18 February 2018

We recently saw Tojo on Global TV which inspired us to return to enjoy his fabulous dishes. We found the seafood tempura exceedingly nice, as were the baked oysters in special sauce. The fish lovers in our party had fantastic comments about the wild pacific salmon. A nice evening was enjoyed by all.