“Overpriced, but I'll always have this one meal”
Review of Tojo's Restaurant

Tojo's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Tojo's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #245 of 4,038 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Shaughnessy
Reviewed 4 June 2018

As a birthday present to myself, my wife and I ate here one Friday night. Going in, we knew that we likely weren't going to get value for money paid, but considering we were visiting the area (we normally don't travel to Vancouver), and we didn't have our kids on the trip, we said "Why not Tojo's?"

Given the prices on the menu, and that it wasn't terribly busy when we first arrived, we started slow by ordering three rolls off the menu: the Great Canadian roll, the spider roll, and the spicy tuna roll, along with a few pieces of nigiri sushi. It was appreciated when the waiter came back to tell us that the market price for the scallop nigiri we ordered was $18 each, so we passed on that. I will say that the preparation for the unagi was the best I've ever tasted, and now I know how unagi should taste when prepared properly. The spicy tuna roll was inhaled, as the tuna just melted on our tongues. While delicious, the Great Canadian roll seemed overpriced, and while good, the spider roll didn't overwhelm us. We were put off by the cucumber crepe wrapping, and felt it would have been better wrapped in nori.

Knowing what the portion sizes were, we ordered another spicy tuna roll, two salmon nigiri sushi pieces, and a hand rolled cone for both of us. The salmon was properly dressed with sushi, such that the waiter told us not to further dip it in our soy dishes. The unuyaku and tempura shrimp cones were absolutely delicious. Another waiter brought it out to us after we saw them completed, and told us to consume them immediately as they were fresh. No regrets on that decision. Our waiter then informed us they were serving us dessert on the house, and we initially declined, but the temptation of a green tea creme brulee and a taro panna cotta caused us to reverse that decision. My creme brulee also had a candle in to mark my birthday, and both desserts were fantastic.

I'm only giving the restaurant 4 stars instead of 5, only because the value seeker in me didn't think I got value from two of the three rolls we ordered. The rest of the food we ate, WOW.

Would Tojo's be a place I would go to regularly if I lived in Vancouver? Probably not, absent the ability to spend money with regards to financial situation. Would it be a place I would go to again when visiting Vancouver? With the right company to go with, absolutely. I'll never look at raw fish the same way ever again.

Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

Special Occassion Birthday Dinner.First visit.
We arrived at 8 for our reservation. Asked for a nice table and got seated in center of the room..it wasn’t full..
The restaurant was very chilly.. Glad I had a sweater.
The restaurant layout is a bit cold and austere.

We ordered the set menu for $80 each .
First had a cocktail then Sake with dinner.
The first course was tuna sashimi it was very plain and bland. Just cubes in a small dish with a small piece of lettuce.
The next salad dish was nicely presented but still ok. See pic to follow.
There were 3 different types of fish served nicely but the second one was sablefish and we sent it back because after one bite we both thought it was not fresh and tasted off/super fishy and gross..!!
They replaced that itiem with Halibut cheeks which were ok but just ok.. lacked taste.

There are so many restaurants that are better..
I left feeling disappointed and overcharged for the below average food. Vancouver has so many excellent sushi places that serve very good quality, imaginative food at reasonable prices. Tojo’s charges a significant premium over and above these other places, (like the excellent Temaki, for example)....which would be reasonable if the quality was similarly on a different level...unfortunately, at Tojo’s, based on last night experience,anyway, that higher level of sushi was nowhere to be seen....just the higher level prices.... also, on a Saturday night, at 9:58pm, when we were still having desert, the staff started hastily turning off the music, clearing everything away, and bringing a credit-card reader to our table!...wow,ok, got it...time to clear out. classy joint!
Service was generally good. Nice waiter....but there’s no way we’ll becoming back to Tojo,s

1  Thank Funfitfab
Reviewed 28 April 2018

We visited Tojo's tonight for dinner. The service was shockingly bad, which left us completely underwhelmed. We had a reservation, showed up on time, were repeatedly forgotten and left waiting 15 minutes to order drinks. Seaweed salad was meh and showed up 20 min after other appetizer. Sashimi was high quality fish but lacked flavor. Value was incredibly low. Weird interaction where bus staff asked if we wanted anything else (since our waitress was MIA), and offered dessert on the house. He was interrupted by our waitress who didn't ask if we wanted anything else and speedily brought us the check (fastest interaction of the evening). Wow. I'm sure there is better sushi to be found but there is DEFINITELY better service out there.

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

Very good sushi! Higher prices but the quality is top notch. Servers were super friendly!
I read about them in a magazine stating they were one of the top five sushi restaurants in the world and they definitely didn’t disappoint!

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

My whole life my mom told me I have to try Tojo’s. We finally went together for dinner in January 2018. The food and service was amazing! Our favourite dish was The Tojo’s chicken ($36) and our favourite roll was the Golden roll ($28). The only thing we didn’t love was the mixed tempura ($32).
Sadly I have had better Japanese food for a WAAAAAAAY better price. Our bill came to over $200 for just the TWO of us. It was delicious but I won’t be rushing back to spend that kind of money on sushi, chicken and rice. $$$$$

~Thanks