“Excellent Food and Great Energy”
Review of Vij's Restaurant - MOVED

Vij's Restaurant
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: South Granville
Reviewed 6 May 2016

We arrived around 6pm and had an hour wait - but while in the bar enjoying a beer, the owner and staff come around with free tastes / bites of various appetizers. Totally enjoyable. My husband is from India and he loved the Goat Stew. I had a vegetable dish and it was very good. I highly recommend this place.

Reviewed 5 May 2016

We read so many good reviews about this place and the menu made the food sound so delicious but this place blew it on our visit. Supposedly it was hard to get in but we walked in with a table of 4 no problem and now I know why. I ordered the short rib and couldn't wait to try the sauce but it arrived lukewarm at best and was cold before I could finish. My wife ordered the lamb lollipops which looked outstanding in photos. She ordered them medium rare and they wasn't a centimeter of red on them - way over cooked. Very disappointing. One person in our group was a local and a vegetarian and he was disappointed as well. If you can't cook a good veggie meal at an Indian inspired restaurant you have major problems. Overrated place - way overrated.

2  Thank dolfandoug
Reviewed 2 May 2016 via mobile

I rolled up in a cab from downtown about 7 PM on a Sunday night. They have a lounge, but they won't serve you food in it. So, they immediately sat me at a 2 top. The place was packed. There must have been 6 different Servers that would check on me every 3 minutes. Exceptional service. I ate too much. I pretty much let the servers guide my selections. Lamb Popsicles dish was delicious. Hell, it all was delicious. I stumbled out of there fat and a little drunk. I walked up The street and purchased a Perrier, then proceeded to walk back downtown via Cambie. Beautiful walk. No problems. I caught a cab downtown no problem and went back to the hotel to enjoy the curry burps.

Reviewed 1 May 2016

This is a popular Indian restaurant. They don't take reservations so the wait can be a while. But it is worth it. The food is delicious and a twist on regular Indian cuisine. Truly enjoyed it.

I went to Vancouver for a meeting and glad I made time to come. will go again the next time I'm in Vancouver.

Reviewed 28 April 2016

We normally stay away from "celebrity chefs" spots, preferring authentic small places. However, we've received so many recommendations about Vij's from such diverse group of people, we had to try it out.
The parking on the street is a bit of a pain, so budget your time accordingly. Its best if someone from your group goes inside to secure a place on the waiting list, while others look for parking.
The atmosphere of the restaurant is nicely casual, with a few high-end touches: washrooms, appetizers served while you wait. The appetizers were delicious to begin with, and raised our spirits on a cold rainy day.
We must have waited about 20 minutes, before being seated at a lovely table by the window. The waiter was super friendly, with no attitude and a lot of patience. We are somewhat familiar with Indian cuisine, but he has patiently explained the details and recommended great paring with appetizers, food and wine.
The food was amazing! I am glad they embrace the concept of sharing - while I loved one of the dishes, my husband preferred an entirely another and vise verse. By the end of the meal, I had to stop myself from licking the serving spoon to get the very last drop of the sauce.
Another point to make, that for a famous place, the prices are very reasonable - about $30 per plate for most dishes.
Next time in Vancouver its a must visit restaurant for us!