“spring break” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
vancouver
“spring break”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

Considering that this is supposed to be a 3 1/2 star hotel, and the regular rates are well over $100.00, I would try somewhere else next time I go to Victoria.
All I require when I stay in a hotel is a clean room and shower. I don't need fancy, (I like fancy, but don't need it). If you get a deal for $50-60 dollars for the night, I would say go for it, it is great, at that price who could complain? I did get a better than usual rate, however, it was still a bit over priced.
The only real complaints i have: they didn't replenish the empty shampoo/conditioner bottles or replace the obviously used mugs and glasses.
It is an alright place to stay, very basic, but clean.

Room Tip: Unless you are getting a really good price for the room, find somewhere else to stay. I would classi...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
IanJones-GM, General Manager at Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback; I appreciated you taking the time to share your experience with the world, although I was disappointed to read about our slip up in Housekeeping, which normally is wonderful. Having an Executive Housekeeper on staff for more than 23 years certainly helps in ensuring an engaged and disciplined team, I will be sure to pass along your comments, so we can see where we slipped up.

We are planning a full and complete renovation in late 2012, early 2013, I am sure you will love what we have to offer, it truly is going to be spectacular; be sure to keep us in mind, should you return to Victoria in 2013.

Ian Jones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Seattle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

My wife and stayed at the Harbour Towers in a Penthouse Suite as part of a deal through Living Social. The overall experience was positive, but it wouldn't be my first choice for another stay in Victoria (especially at rack rates).

BOOKING

Following the initial phone call, I emailed the hotel to ask if the could hold my luggage at the desk when we arrived early via the ferry. We wanted to explore town without dragging our bags around. The agent was very accommodating and offered to make a request for early availability of the room. She also, based on my request, set us up with a harbor-side room.

CHECK-IN

We had about a 20-minute wait in a queue at check-in. The Coho ferry had arrived, and there were several guests checking in at the same time others were checking out. I didn't mind the wait since the hotel was accommodating us with an early check-in, but it might have been appropriate to have more than one agent working the desk. The agent who was on duty, however, was very friendly and efficient.

THE ROOM

The penthouse suite has around 1100 square foot of space over three levels. With two bedrooms, a kitchen, and one-and-a-half baths, it felt a bit extravagant (at least in terms of space). It would certainly be a good option for a family who wanted to spread out a bit. The view on the harbor side was fantastic. We enjoyed watching the sea planes and ferries come and go.

There wasn't much noise from other rooms, and only occasional noise from the hallway. The windows don't seem very well insulated, so the room is a bit drafty and picks up a fair bit of noise from the street.

As has been mentioned in other reviews, the decor is dated and the room generally had a tired, lived-in feeling. It’s been a while since I've seen popcorn ceilings. The room was clean, but it didn't feel clean because of worn furniture, stains, etc. The TV’s are older tube models.

The temperature in the shower seemed impossible to regulate. It changed constantly from moment to moment, making each shower an interesting experience. On our last morning, it started cold and stayed cold. A disappointing way to end our stay.

FACILITIES

We didn't check out the pool or gym. We did take advantage of some vouchers for Vic's Steakhouse, which was also a bit of a mixed bag (I'll save that for another review).

SUMMARY

In short, I think the value for the room was very good based on the deal I was able to get through Living Social, and I notice they have off-season specials for booking directly through the hotel with some good prices. I struggled a bit with whether to make this a 3-star or 4-star review. If you go in with proper expectations, I think there are some good reasons to book with Harbour Towers. The rooms are clean. The staff is competent and friendly. However, there are many beautiful hotels in Victoria and I think it is important to keep pace with the competition not only in value, but in the overall experience.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Mackenson
IanJones-GM, General Manager at Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback; I appreciated you taking the time to share your experience with the world, and was happy to read for the most part, you were pleased with your Harbour Towers experience.

I do agree, we are in need of some modernization and luckily we have a full renovation plan on the table right now and as soon as I have more information, I will be able to announce all the exciting details, for now we are still in the planning stages.

Next time you visit, if you want the same great views, without any wasted space, we have spectacular one bedroom suites, all on one level, which are ideal for weekend get-aways with great views; be sure to check out our new Vic’s menu next time, it has been met with rave reviews, congrats to our culinary team.

Have a wonderful summer,

Port Alberni, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

My wife and I (seniors) enjoyed a 4 day stay at this hotel early Mar/2012. The hotel location, appearance, and quiet street, was our first impression. On entering their beautiful lobby things got nothing but better. The receptionist was very friendly and efficient,getting us settled in with all information about services and facilitys that were available. The standard room was very roomy with a beautiful view overlooking harbour.with a newly updated bathroom. The coffee maker provided was a very nice added touch. The swimming pool, hot tub was best we have experienced in any Hotel. The convenient bar was relaxing, and I am sure the Restaurant would be equally so, although we had time restraints and were unable to try it. The parking ( additional fee) was convenient, and well used by us as we probably walked everywhere as the hotel location is close to Victoria s attractions. All staff were friendly and efficient, making us feel right at home. The only negative was that we were sorry to leave. Keep up the great service, much appreciated. Gord and Jan

4 Thank Gordon_P181778
IanJones-GM, General Manager at Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback; I appreciated you taking the time to share your experience with the world, and was thrilled to hear of your pleasant trip. All Associates at the Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites work hard everyday to try and deliver the finest service possible, but we are human and sometimes we have an off day, we are getting much better at limiting our “off days” and I do agree, our desk staff are a friendly bunch.

We are planning a major renovation this year, so be sure to keep us in your sights for your next visit, should Victoria be lucky enough to have you back again.

Warm regards,

Abbotsford, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

As a team manager I contacted Robert at Harbour Towers. He was able to hold rooms for our team, offer me a free upgrade as booking person, offer us internet and parking. Oour team decided ato have our team dinner at Vics and the staff there was also very accomidating, offering us the back room and a modified menu for the team and another for the parents. We needed to eat and leave in time to play a game and the staff helped us achieve this.

Room Tip: THe two bedroom suite offered plenty of room and the ability to eat in the room and a great view. It...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
IanJones-GM, General Manager at Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback; I appreciated you taking the time to share your experience, and am thrilled we were able to be so accommodating. I am very proud of the team here, and yes Robert does a wonderful job for us, we are lucky to have him.

We just recently met to discuss our upcoming renovation plans, so we soon will have an even more exciting property to share with the visitors of Victoria, so please keep us in mind for your future visits.

Thanks again,

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

My husband and I decided to attend a Deep Purple concert in Victoria on February 25th, 2012 and we didn't have a reservation for anywhere downtown Victoria, BC. We were driving around James Bay area which is right next to the Imax Theatre and Museum, shops, dining and horse carriage rides and saw this tower that said Harbour Tower and Suites, so we went in to ask if there was any availability. The lady at the front desk said she had a standard room for $75 and a one bedroom suite for $120.00. Since we were without children, we decided to stay in the Suite. Thank God we did. I had asked if we could have a higher room, since there are so many cherry trees around Victoria I didn't want to have a partial view I wanted the whole shabang. So, we were in room 1209 which is the very top floor. Our room was amazing. We opened up the door to a full closet and stairs going up?!!! We both looked at each other and said, WHAT??? So we went up the stairs and we were ecstatic. We had a full kitchen with a half fridge, coffee maker, all the fixings, stove and microwave. A very comfortable queen sized bed, two stairs going up to the dining room and another huge closet and a very large bathroom. Toilet, sink, lots of counter space and tub/shower combination. We looked out the window which was floor to ceiling glass and a sliding glass door that went out to a patio which two chairs, a small table and a lounger. The view looking at the boats in the marina and the downtown shops was great. Even better, was after the concert when we came back to our room we saw the Empress hotel all lit up and our Canadian Legislative building shining with white lights. It was the most beautiful sight you could ever imagine. Very romantic. I forgot to mention that on the other side of the bed was a couch and hutch with a tv and the couch was a hide a bed. Also up the two stairs to the bathroom was a desk and free wifi. Downstairs there is a great fitness room which I was surprised by the size of it as it is large. Also a large pool, hottub and a tanning room and spa services. In the main lobby of the hotel is Vic's steakhouse and bar. We didn't have dinner there but we did have appies and drinks before we went to the concert. They had just changed the menu and we had some amazing appetizers. More in my restaurant review for that info.
I would highly recommend this hotel when your in Victoria. There was a group of people staying there on a tour bus who had been there for three weeks and they looked like they were having a great time too. The hotel is well built and you do not hear any noise from the neighbours. The front staff are very welcoming and have lots of suggestions for dinner around town without pushing just for their restaurant which I thought was a nice touch. We just loved staying here and we are already getting ready to go back to Victoria in May to spend some more time at this hotel but with our family this time. Fantastic place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor so you can have an unobstructed view of the magnificent Victoria Harbour.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brownbebe18
Thank you very much for your feedback, I was thrilled you enjoyed your stay, especially as it was last minute.

We are very pleased with our team, they do go above and beyond to ensure our hotel offers a “home away from home” atmosphere, and after our upcoming renovations, we will have an even better product to share with our guests.

Thanks again for your kind words and I hope you enjoyed the concert.