“Mixed feelings”

and 1 more site!
Robert Porter House B&B
Ranked #30 of 92 Victoria B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 September 2016

First off, the owners Cecilia and Bing are very nice. This is why I'm conflicted but I also wish I knew a few things before booking my room.I have a feeling that the overall experience one has depends on which suite you are in.

I stayed in the Garden Suite. I did not choose the Garden Suite, it was the only one available. I do NOT recommend anyone stay in this room without knowing a few things first. Then, you can decide if you are okay with these things or want to stay elsewhere. I don't like surprises so it almost ruined my vacation.

1.) The room is extremely hot. This is because the boiler room is located across from the bathroom of this room. The boiler room is just a room, it is not insulated. The hallway that has the bathroom/boiler room is not insulated. There is a door (and yes, the bathroom and hallway are private) that separates bathroom/hallway/boiler room from the sleeping area but again, it is a regular door and not insulated in any way.

Victoria doesn't get high temperatures often so at night it was probably just 13 degrees but the room is still very hot because of the boiler. It made it very difficult to sleep. I'd hate to be in this room on a warmer evening.

2.) The boiler makes noise when it is on. It is on whenever a guest is using hot water. This means, unless you are a really sound sleeper, you will hear the boiler until about midnight and then again at around 7am.

3.) There is no television. Well, there is a nice flat screen TV but it doesn't have cable or satellite service. If this room has no television, that is fine but I needed to know this ahead of time. I like to watch local news to get a feel for the place I'm visiting.

4.) Wifi doesn't always work well. Our first night we thought it was broken. IDK if this varies based on use or if perhaps the router signal is weak in this suite. Maybe get a wifi signal booster. I honestly think in this day and age it is going to be really difficult for anyone under age 50 to not have TV or Wifi.

5.) Small issue...the mini fridge in the room sometimes makes a loud buzzing noise. It was so bad that I unplugged it. Fine for me but if I had something like milk in there or leftovers, turning it off isn't going to be possible.

6.) In general, the bathroom room was dirty and the room had several things that needed to be repaired or updated...like a chunk missing out of the blinds or a gash in the wall from the chair.

My recommendation is that the owners stay in each of the rooms on occasion to get a feel for what is working/not working. Or maybe get their friends to stay and provide an honest assessment.

I think they should offer this room at an extreme discount and note that it is discounted because the room can be hot and noisy and has no television. I think a lot of people would still be willing to stay. I, however, would not and would have stayed elsewhere.

The location is a 10 minute walk to the main stretch of town but it felt like more. The immediate area around the B&B is quiet.

Room Tip: Avoid the garden suite. If you must stay here, stay in another suite; the price difference is minima...
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank lb76705

Reviewed 26 September 2016 via mobile

We spend two nights at the Robert Porter House B&B on Victoria Island. Location was perfect, we were able to walk to RC Museum, Parliament Building, restaurants, Fishermen's Wharf and ferry deck. Our room was very clean and decorated nicely. The house was spotless and the owners served a great breakfast and were very helpful with suggestions and directions to all the must see tourist attractions. We would stay there again and recommend it highly.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2016

We had a wonderful stay. Our room on the second floor was spacious and comfortable. The hosts are very warm and welcoming. They prepared a breakfast every morning that was varied and delicious. Very pleasant environment. Excellent location, just a few blocks to downtown. Would definitely stay there again... and recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2016

Our hosts, Celia and Bing, were welcoming and enthusiastic. Their only focus was our comfort and enjoyment.
This beautiful old home is located just a very short walk from the waterfront, the Fairmont Empress, the Royal BC Museum, Government House, and more.
Secure underground parking is included.
Breakfasts were tasty.
Other guests at the time included a couple from Australia and a mother and daughter from Japan, All contributing to the friendly interactions that make B&B's so interesting and enjoyable.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter I
Reviewed 3 July 2016 via mobile

This is a lovely B&B within 1 block of the Royal BC Museum and the legislature building. Easy walking distance to town, yet very quiet. Bed was very comfortable, wifi worked well in the room, the place is immaculately clean, breakfasts are generous and varied, and the hosts a friendly. We would have stayed longer if they had the vacancy. This place is very good value for money and highly recommended.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple