“A nice property just a few steps from Vicotia's inner harbor.”

and 1 more site!
Robert Porter House B&B
Ranked #28 of 92 Victoria B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 July 2017

This B&B is almost entirely just B. We had a comfortable (small, bu cozy) room that could easily be upgraded with a chair, table, having all appliances working, and a breakfast.
When some supplies were absent, phone calls to a voice recorder produced results.
The best that can be said is that the location is outstanding - producing a walk-able few days. In addition to the sights (gov't offices, museum, Empress Hotel, downtown stops) We found a local shopping area 10 minutes away with lunch choices, a grocer, wine shop, and coffee.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jrgfla

Reviewed 16 June 2017

We chose this B&B because of its central location as well as the positive reviews we found on tripadvisor, many of which praised the great breakfast . It took several e-mails to get final confirmation for the room and parking. We had to sign a lengthy document which stated amongst others that NO FOOD WOULD BE SERVED, and this is true, that breakfast is no longer included / available- Our room was clean and spacious and contained a microwave, coffee maker, tea kettle and a few dishes for those who wish to prepare some of their own meals. The bathroom is well equipped and in good working order. One of the negative comments in earlier reviews was the poor WIFI performance, however, this was corrected halfway during our stay.
Please note: Parking is "available" means at a cost. The parking is underground and very convenient .

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 September 2016

First off, the owners Cecilia and Bing are very nice. This is why I'm conflicted but I also wish I knew a few things before booking my room.I have a feeling that the overall experience one has depends on which suite you are in.

I stayed in the Garden Suite. I did not choose the Garden Suite, it was the only one available. I do NOT recommend anyone stay in this room without knowing a few things first. Then, you can decide if you are okay with these things or want to stay elsewhere. I don't like surprises so it almost ruined my vacation.

1.) The room is extremely hot. This is because the boiler room is located across from the bathroom of this room. The boiler room is just a room, it is not insulated. The hallway that has the bathroom/boiler room is not insulated. There is a door (and yes, the bathroom and hallway are private) that separates bathroom/hallway/boiler room from the sleeping area but again, it is a regular door and not insulated in any way.

Victoria doesn't get high temperatures often so at night it was probably just 13 degrees but the room is still very hot because of the boiler. It made it very difficult to sleep. I'd hate to be in this room on a warmer evening.

2.) The boiler makes noise when it is on. It is on whenever a guest is using hot water. This means, unless you are a really sound sleeper, you will hear the boiler until about midnight and then again at around 7am.

3.) There is no television. Well, there is a nice flat screen TV but it doesn't have cable or satellite service. If this room has no television, that is fine but I needed to know this ahead of time. I like to watch local news to get a feel for the place I'm visiting.

4.) Wifi doesn't always work well. Our first night we thought it was broken. IDK if this varies based on use or if perhaps the router signal is weak in this suite. Maybe get a wifi signal booster. I honestly think in this day and age it is going to be really difficult for anyone under age 50 to not have TV or Wifi.

5.) Small issue...the mini fridge in the room sometimes makes a loud buzzing noise. It was so bad that I unplugged it. Fine for me but if I had something like milk in there or leftovers, turning it off isn't going to be possible.

6.) In general, the bathroom room was dirty and the room had several things that needed to be repaired or updated...like a chunk missing out of the blinds or a gash in the wall from the chair.

My recommendation is that the owners stay in each of the rooms on occasion to get a feel for what is working/not working. Or maybe get their friends to stay and provide an honest assessment.

I think they should offer this room at an extreme discount and note that it is discounted because the room can be hot and noisy and has no television. I think a lot of people would still be willing to stay. I, however, would not and would have stayed elsewhere.

The location is a 10 minute walk to the main stretch of town but it felt like more. The immediate area around the B&B is quiet.

Room Tip: Avoid the garden suite. If you must stay here, stay in another suite; the price difference is minima...
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank lb76705
Reviewed 26 September 2016 via mobile

We spend two nights at the Robert Porter House B&B on Victoria Island. Location was perfect, we were able to walk to RC Museum, Parliament Building, restaurants, Fishermen's Wharf and ferry deck. Our room was very clean and decorated nicely. The house was spotless and the owners served a great breakfast and were very helpful with suggestions and directions to all the must see tourist attractions. We would stay there again and recommend it highly.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2016

We had a wonderful stay. Our room on the second floor was spacious and comfortable. The hosts are very warm and welcoming. They prepared a breakfast every morning that was varied and delicious. Very pleasant environment. Excellent location, just a few blocks to downtown. Would definitely stay there again... and recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family