All reviews wizard chair condo rental great unit blackcomb mountain ski valet main village great location slope side parking garage minute walk whistler village a great place to stay living room apartment winter base underground
Reviewed 27 January 2018

The location is very good, making it easy to ski to the lift and go to nice Blackcomb restaurants. That's the good part. The unit is very dated, but that wasn't what bothered us. It was dirty, especially the kitchen, pots, pans, and coffee maker. The staff was quick to respond to emails but never took care of any of the multiple issues. They offered no solutions. One of the staff members was very rude to us. There were electrical problems, bed issues, an old comforter, shabby blankets, and a poorly equipped kitchen. The cleaning staff was supposed to show up mid-week but didn't arrive until the next day and I had to contact them. It was not a good value for our money. Some other units at Aspens may be nicer. Several rental management companies operate at Aspens. If you like the location, try a different one than Peak to Green. Sorry to be so negative, but it was a big disappointment.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2018

We went there, because our reservation at the whiskey lodge next door, had a water issue and they switched us. So we had to go to the office, far away from the actual place where we would stay. That was somehow uncomfortable. Even more for the check out.
We had a parking pass so it was ok, the parking is donstairs, having an elevator that goes all the way to your floor, that vas comfortable, specially for all the skiing equipment.
The place had two rooms and two bathroom which was perfect. Small closet on the king size room.
It had a nice balcony, kitchen, living room, just like been at home.
Clean, and warm, no problems at all. They also rent the skies at the loby and have an outdoor jacuzzi.
And the best part is the ski in/out location. Very convenient!
All was great, only that at 10:02 ( we had to check out by 10; which is very early since usually check out is by 12) so at 10:02 cleaning lady opens the door with a face and ask me what was I doing there, I was just waiting for my husband to come and pick up the rest of the lugagge since we had too many, and I tell her, I ll be out now, and she says “when? “ super rude and unpolite, considering we were actually checking out by 10.
Then drive all the way again to the office... anyway, next time I rather go somewhere where i dont have to drive for check in\out, maybe it was just because of my “switch” but if you dont have that issue and you go there with big family, it is a nice and cozy experience. Rather than just a comon hotel room, specially with all the extra stuff you need to have in snowy vacations.

Stayed: November 2017
Reviewed 16 October 2017

I had no idea this was a condo owned privately and rented through an agency. Hence the piles and plies of paperwork by email, just to cover their own axxes. Plus they charge $17 CAD each day for parking. Apart from that the flat was great, we had a one bed flat with a pull out bed in the lounge. Had all the amenities etc kitchen, microwave, cooker, plates, glasses etc. It was also quite centrally positioned, all you had to do was wall down the hill at the back of the complex next to the stair lift. Pool was out of action when we were there. I would have given this apartment a 5 star but for the paperwork and emails. A very quiet complex and had 3 great nights there. If you can put up with the rules and regs then a great place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 September 2017

I took my daughter and her friend for 3 nights. We had a great 2 bedroom/2 bathroom unit. It was fully equipped and very clean. The pool area was very nice but sometimes was tough to find a lounger.. Very convenient walking distance from Blackcomb and not long into the Village. We found parking on the street a few blocks away but there is parking underground there for about $18 a night. Would definately stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2017

Unit #231 in “The Aspens” was OK, but not great -- 3 stars. But I would rate the Harmony Whistler Rentals only 2 stars, and that's being rather generous. The Aspens is a "hotel" building where every one of the hotel units has been sold; the individual owners are responsible for the maintenance and decor of their unit, while HOA fees cover cleaning and maintenance of the grounds and common areas.

The front desk of the complex merely guides you to the email you will receive from Harmony Whistler Rentals several days before you arrive, and tells you to follow the instructions given there. Parking is $17/day from a machine in the lobby, and is in a secure underground garage.

Bikes and skis are stored in one large locked cage underground, but outside of the secure garage, and you receive a fob from the front desk to open this if you store your bike there. We chose to keep our bikes on the secure rack on our vehicle, figuring that was more secure than the cage. We had no security problems.

Elevators for the complex were frustrating. There was only one elevator operating in our wing of the building during the 3 nights we stayed, and a 5 minute wait was not uncommon. During the day, the maid services dominate the one elevator, and the guests either wait or use the stairwells.

There is no air conditioning in this unit, so in the summer, it can get hot. When we entered the unit at about 6 PM on a day that had been in the 70s (Fahrenheit), the unit was in the high 80s because it had been closed up all day. There is one small window that opens in the bedroom (about 2 foot square), and only one more in the living room (also 2 foot square). These are the only windows in the unit that open. But there is a sliding glass door in the living room that has a screen door, which was a life-saver. There are two fans supplied as the only cooling means in the unit. Unfortunately there are 9 halogen lights in this unit, which are huge heat generators -- great for the winter; bad for the summer.

The gas fireplace thermostat was turned off when we got there, yet the fireplace insert was very hot; the metal and the rocks above the fireplace were at about 105 degrees F. The exhaust output of the fireplace goes through the wall onto the patio, which is enclosed at that point. There was considerable heat coming from the metal vent pipe; it was too hot to touch. We took the front glass and the secondary glass off the fireplace to see if we could find the gas shut-off valve, but could not find it. So I called the Harmony Whistler Vacations' phone number. Although we had checked in at 6:00 PM (the earliest you can check in is 4:00 PM), their office was closed, and I got an answering service. The answering service did get ahold of someone from the office who refused to come solve the problem that evening because it "was not an emergency." They promised to come at 9:00 AM the following morning. We waited for them in the morning until 10:15 AM (and we never got a courtesy call telling us they would be late). We finally left the unit with a late start to our vacation day. We called them on the way out, and they said that they were handling real emergencies at that time, and would get to our unit when they got these solved. Although we never received a courtesy status call, when we did return to the unit in the late afternoon, the fireplace was cool. So apparently they did finally send someone out to fix the issue. Good thing, because the days were warming up.

Unit 231 is on the second floor, with no floor directly above it to create noise. The unit is, however, directly above the vehicle entrance to the underground garage. Every time a car drives over the snow grates entering the garage, you hear a "clank-clank" from the unit’s bedroom and living room windows (which we had open for ventilation). And because this unit's windows face the main entrance to The Aspens, you will hear all the noise from people loading and unloading passengers and gear at the entrance, as well as smell all of their smoke drifting into the unit. We got a lot of marijuana smoke, as well as cigarette smoke in the unit from outside. The noise continued far into the night. Many other units face the courtyard or the outside of the building. If I stayed at The Aspens again, I would opt for one of those units.

The unit is in usable shape, but certainly not pristine. There is damaged Formica on the extremely small bathroom vanity, and pealing paint. There is a quirky cold water faucet handle on the one bathroom sink that turns 360 degrees -- you have to get it set just right to turn the cold water off. The bathroom fan runs continuously -- the wall switch will not turn it off. The safe in the bedroom closet has instructions for the VRBO renter. But, according to Harmony Whistler Rentals, it is locked by the owner and unavailable for renters' use.

On the positive side, the king bed was very comfortable; we slept with only a sheet due to the temperature of the unit. There is a small but well-stocked kitchen with everything you'll need except the food. There is a pool and hot tub, with complementary guest towels. There are flat screen TVs in the bedroom and the living room. There is NO laundry in the unit; it is located in the P2 parking garage 2 floors underground, and costs $5.00 per load. The washers and dryers are large, but drying cost me an additional $2.50 because it did not dry on the first $2.50.

The Aspens is located just above Upper Whistler Village, so you can walk to the Village in about 300 yards from the pool area. Parking in the Village is expensive, so leave your car in the secure garage at The Aspens and walk.

I would not chose to rent this unit again, and would not deal with Harmony Vacation Rentals again for any unit I might rent in Whistler. They mislead me regarding the timing for the zip line and Peak to Peak package I purchased through them. I was led to believe that the zip line tour started from the top of the gondola, and would therefore have to be done on the same day as the Peak to Peak ride. When I spoke to another company's agent in Whistler, I found out that the zip line booking time I had acquired from Harmony made it impossible to do everything in one day. Harmony Vacation Rentals is simply not helpful to guests unfamiliar with the facility or the village.

Room Tip: Opt for a room facing the outside of the hotel away from the garage entrance or the hotel lobby entrance
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple