US$90
Hotels.com
US$106
  • Restaurant
US$59
Queen Bee Hotel(Winnipeg)(Great Value!)
US$68
US$61
US$50
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 9 September 2016 via mobile

I knew that I was booking a budget hotel and was put off by the poor reviews, but decided to go with it. The front desk staff were very accommodating and helpful, and housekeeping also did a fantastic job.

I was upgraded to a suite on the second floor at no extra cost. I read online that the hotel had been refurbished in January 2016, so I was expecting clean and tidy, but nothing special. The furniture in the room looked to have been the only thing 'refurbished' as the carpet was stained in several places and the decor was very tired, with peeling wallpaper and marked paint. The bathroom was also in a similar condition: clean, but in desperate need of replacing - there were broken tiles, a nom-functioning plug in the sink and black marks on the tiles - plenty of hot water though!

The only lighting in the room was lamps, which were inadequate. I had to unplug one to be able to use a socket for charging appliances. The TV, fridge and lamp in the lounge area were all plugged into extension sockets. There was no safe in the room.

The hotel lobby and the elevator both smelled strongly of cigarette smoke and the latter was very small and a bit bumpy! I found the people loitering outside the hotel in the evenings were off-putting and I did not venture out unaccompanied after dark. My room door also had a lock and a door limiter which I made full use of, although the less savoury guests all seemed to be on the upper floors. The door to the adjoining room was locked and bolted, but still a little creepy.

I was expecting a hairdryer in the room, but none was provided. The 'wardrobe' consisted of a hanging rail with a shelf above it directly opposite the door, but there was a chest of drawers in the bedroom area.

I didn't use the cafe or have any meals at the hotel, so I can't comment on that aspect.

I have tried to be as fair as possible with my review: it wasn't an awful experience, but I wouldn't stay here again primarily because of the sketchy location and general shabbiness. I certainly don't recommend staying here if you are a single female - I had no issues with other guests, but I did not feel 100% safe on my own.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank Marianimo
Reviewed 24 July 2016

Seems to be nice clean ,front desk nice ,rooms a little small but ok ,looks like a hole from the outside but nice inside not sure about the area i arrived at nite ,rigth beside a beer store and bar i see a lot of young people around

Room Tip: Don,t order to your room (ming court restaurant)
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business
2  Thank Signmanpete
Reviewed 30 November 2015

The sign on the door that reads "no public washrooms, don't ask" tells you the kind of area and hotel you're checking into. From there you're greeted by at least three smoke butt/"ashtray" devices. After making it the the door the lobby is fairly modern and clean. Probably to give you false hope.

Ascending the dirty cramped elevator we're greete in the hallway by strong poop odour . Frantically scanning our shoes and the floor to see if the smell was a fresh deposit, or was emanating from the housemaid cart.

First room... Key card lock was defective. Had to put bags in buddies room and see about getting in later.

Elevator at 1am has same debris as check in, but now with a bonus unfinished 40 of vodka.

If you want quiet, pack earplugs and noise cancelation head phones,as your restful night consists of every conversation and foot step on every floor. Good thing they posted the sign in the elevator that states quiet hours are strictly enforced.

Tired of waiting for the elevator? Take the stairs... If you dare. Stairwell looks like a homeless retreat. We think we found the poop from the day before, but it looks pretty old, based on my years of dog poop removal at home. Not to mention if the ashtrays at the door are full, just use the stairwell like everyone else.

Room cleaning ?

1 out of 2 days it was, so don't expect clean towels and a made bed. Good thing my mom taught me how to hang a bath towel and make my own.

If you want a pleasant , restful stay... This is definitely NOT the place.

If you want a comedy of horrors and stories to last you and your buddies for years to come, then it's priceless.

Room Tip: Rethink your reservation, and don't pay in advance
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends
5  Thank P_G_Alberta
Reviewed 28 October 2015

Stayed for 2 nights on a business trip. Rooms were basic, but that's expected from a budget hotel. Room cleaning left a lot to be desired and room was noisy at night as you could hear all the movement from upstairs.
The breakfast option was simply awful and I'll advice anyone to skip rooms with breakfast included because its not worth the extra money. Thankfully, i had no bed bugs in my room as others have stated.
overall, if you're staying for 1 or 2 nights, it might be worth it, but if staying longer in Winnipeg, I'd go for a better hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms with bundled breakfast option, not worth it.
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 August 2015

I know I may be overly picky about the quality of a stay at an Econo Lodge, and I know I have made some pretty poor life choices in the fact that I have given Choice Hotels enough money to be a gold member with Choice Privileges, but this has to have been one of my worst stays that I have ever had with a Choice Property.

First off when you get to the hotel you are greeted by a large "newly renovated" sign in the window. Don't let this fool you, the rooms still have the same stained, worn out, and nearly disgusting carpets and walls they did when it was first opened. The only thing they renovated was the front desk area around the lobby.

Secondly, when we arrived around 2am we found that Choice Hotel's system and phones were down making us wait another hour before we could check in using our points. Once we finally got into our booked room we found that it had not been cleaned after the last guests stayed in it. The worst part was the dirty, stained, and dirt filled sheets that were in the pull out sofa.

Upon talking to the front desk about this issue the night auditor informed me that the only other room available was a smoking room and not wanting to lose the points I spent I was forced to take it. Before moving into our new room for the night I reminded the front desk of our requested 10am wake up call.

The next morning we were awoken by very rude and belligerent calls by the front desk after 11:30am demanding we check out immediately due to the hotel being over booked and checkout time being 11am. Why asking what happened to our wake up call the lady at the desk said she did not know and I would have to speak to the manager about its failure to be made. At this point we then proceeded to quickly pack and take a shower where we were met by our next issue.

In side the bathroom only half the lights worked and dripping from the ceiling in multiple spots was a dirty brown water. The room was on the top floor so it was thankfully not overflow from a room above us. Instead the mystery liquid was not identifiable and speckled the shower and floor with its nastiness which resulted in us forgoing the use of our shower area.

When checking out I showed the manager multiple photos I took of the two rooms and listed the issues we had and asked to be refunded my points. He said he would try his best to do so and would call Choice. Later that evening I get a call and learn from the manager that Choice Customer Service needs to talk to me directly and will do so only after 24 hours from the end of the stay.

Waiting the full period and wanting to speak to a member about this issue I call Choice only to learn their member services and customer service department is only open from 8am to 5pm Eastern US Time which when traveling abroad in limited cell reception, or in a very distant timezone makes it very inconvenient to get help from Choice. First person on the phone we talk to tells me to wait until Monday (3 days later) to call back, the second person tries to speak to a supervisor but is informed he can't help me out of customer service's business hours, and finally a third person tells me to call back on Saturday morning which I do. By now I have such a bad taste in my mouth by Choice and it's properties and customer service that I have spent two nights in competing brands.

Finally when speaking to a customer service specialist and complaining about the lack of service and the property issues they tell me that they can sympathize and will refund the points spent on that room for the inconvenience of their customer service hours and the property's quality. While this is appreciated I find it disappointing that choise wasn't willing to have people ready to help their gold members 24/7 like other brands do for their elite tier customers, and that Choice also does the minimal thing possible to try and return the satisfaction of a thoroughly annoyed customer. I will not be returning to a choice property again unless they have the only room left in a town when visiting and even then I may debate on whether or not to just stay in my car.

I would give a 0 out of 5 if I could.

Quality of property: 1/5
Cleanliness of rooms: 1/5
Quality of service: 0/5
Appearance of property: 4/5 in lobby, 0/5 in rooms and halls.
Quality of neighborhood the property is located in: 2/5

Avoid this property at all costs and reconsider staying at Choice regularly.

Room Tip: Stay anywhere else downtown.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends