US$109
Hotels.com
US$72
Glynmill Inn(Corner Brook)
US$155
Hotel Corner Brook(Corner Brook)
US$81
Marblewood Village Resort(Steady Brook)(Great Value!)
US$227
US$110
Dreamcatcher Lodge(Stephenville)
Free cancellation until 28/07
US$83
All reviewshumber riverthe main housetake picturesfire pitnicolasuppermattresses
Reviewed 15 November 2014

Myself and my partner booked our stay at Strawberry Hill for a ski-weekend. The pictures and commercials of the property and rooms look lovely.

From speaking with the property manager on the phone, it was recommended that we book the Riverside Loft. When we arrived on site, there was no one available to speak with. We appeared to be the only people on property, it was the middle of a snow storm so we stopped to speak with a man clearing snow on the property. He directed us to call the property managers cell phone. She told us that the loft was open. We entered the loft, and it smelt musky and old. There were chip crumbs on the carpet and couch. Bathroom was dirty, and there was weird noises coming from the fridge. Long story short, for over $250.00/night, it was horrible.

By that time the property manager was in the main house. We approached her and told her we were unsatisfied. Because our stay was on a gift certificate, she could NOT refund our 2 night stay. We asked what our other options were. We were given a small queen sized room in the main house which was "dated" but clean. The price of this room was $125.00/night online. I asked how the extra money would be refunded. She stated they would "throw in" a bottle of wine and breakfast each morning in the dining room.

We agreed, thinking it would be a nice breakfast. Breakfast consisted of a bagel OR toast, and a bananna OR yougurt. Juice, coffee etc.

There ended up being a snow storm on the day we were suppose to leave, so I ended up bargining our third night free which probably worked out in the end.

The location of Strawberry Hill is beautiful, but the building, rooms, prices and food are dated. I found the staff not professional. The location from Corner Brook is a drag, it's a 20 minute drive on the highway. From Marble about 10 minutes.

My point, there are better places to stay in Corner Brook and the Humber Valley.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Claire P
Reviewed 5 October 2014 via mobile

This is a run down and poorly organized and mis-managed resort. The staff service is terrible, actually, non existant. The chalets are way over priced for the stay. It is about 15-20 minute drive from Corner Brook so forget thinking about getting a cab from the resort to the ciry and return. Cheaper to rent a car and sleep in it... Time for the investors of this property to reconsider their direction with the management of this location. Such a beautiful property... just does not have the substance of appreciating and going out of your way to please or accomodate the customer... cut your prices or you will run the business to the ground ... if it hasnt already happened...

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank traveller372601
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I booked my wedding at strawberry hill resort approx. 9 months in advance for
July At this time I was given a hand written price for my wedding total. This price went from 5000 up to 10,000 with no changes made. When I asked for an explanation I was told there were fees for things like a 150$ fee for my dj set up after playing 3500$ for the venue because apparently the dj takes up space in there building. Also I was informed that half of the back deck (which was a selling feature for me) was closed off because of rot. This was a month before the wedding. When I went to view the grounds to pic where I would marry the upper deck was blocked with pieces of 2 by 4 and looked disgusting . I was also told that the manager viola was taking care of all wedding details and that the resort would be closed to the public for the day. Well... The day before the wedding came and viola was nowhere to be seen. I was left to do the rehearsal all on my own and was told I couldn't use certain spots suck as "the bowl" because it was "too much work to set up" etc. On the wedding day I was left with a million things to do such as arranging the gift table etc which was all suppose to be taken care of!!! Then after we married there was suppose to be a fruit tray walked around! Once EVERyONE left they walked

around INSIDE with the tray. Then later in the evening I was approached by viola with a very snotty attitude and informed that the police were being called by a chalet renter (not part of my wedding) because my dog was barking! ( this is after bein told that no one would be aloud to rent at the resort that day other then people with my wedding! Also at 150$ per tray the food was an embarrassment it looked liked leftover scraps and there was suppose to be enough to feed 210 people only about 100 showed up an there wasn't enough for everyone. This is just a few small examples for my nightmare experience with viola and strawberry hill. The only thing that kept the wedding semi held together was a girl name Jesse. I'm not sure of her roll at strawberry hill but she was the only one to deliver on this day. The day after the wedding viola was suppose to deduct the room rentals from our cost because they all got rented out and we were chaged for them so the rooms in the main building were paid for twice for one night. I could go on forever ! My advice to anyone looking to book a wedding or event there STAY AWAY

• Stayed: July 2014
21  Thank Thepissedbride
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This is by far the worst resort i have ever been to. We get there to what looks to be a beautiful resort. Looks can be deceiving. We had high hopes for the chalet we rented. Nice and big and spacious. Until you get inside and find it has no AC, and no TV worth watching. We had 3 channels in our chalet. CBC in punjabi, french cooking channel, and Lifetime. Couldn't even go to a store to possibly rent a movie for our little girl to watch, because our modern chalet has a VCR!!!! The worst of all was absolutely nothing to do on the grounds except walk around, and the hot tub hadn't been working in about a month. But the worst of all was the food. I ordered a medium steak and baked potato that was literally black, dry, overcooked and unseasoned. I am not sure how you can mess up a baked potato that badly, but the cook mastered it. When we went for dinner the next evening with my wifes conference group(the whole reason we were at this resort) and the meal was the same yet again. Way overcooked, dry and unseasoned steak. and again, how you can mess up mashed potatoes that badly, i have yet to figure out. Absolutely the worst resort i have ever stayed at. I will never go back nor would i ever suggest to anyone stay there. Then when we went to check out the next morning, there wasn't even any staff on the premises to check us out. The only person i could find was a kitchen staff. So not only could we not get a bill, but had no idea what our bill wsa going to be. Awful. Absolutely awful.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Shaun M
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Expectations: this is a manor house built in the 1950s by a local industrialist...as such it is a real "inn" with 6-bedrooms + ensuite in the main (manor) house. There are obvious improvements in the rooms (good quality, big screen TVs, good mattresses, WIFI) yet obvious minuses (no plugs in the bathrooms, no chairs in the 4 smaller rooms, limited lighting in the 2 bigger suites). The property includes 7 other chalet-like options which I cannot comment on other than to say that a list of available amenities in them (e.g., hairblower) was missing from staff information (when asked). The staff are kind-hearted and would do anything for you. However, some seem a bit inexperienced and this may just be a function of adequate training. Regardless, there are a few of items I would like to draw management's attention to: try to hire a chef vs. a cook (meals are definitely more substandard than they should be), lose the Chevy van in the field (it just makes the property look shabby when there has been a good attempt at the gardens to make it less so), tack the screens down so there are no nighttime invaders and, as a welcoming gesture, grade the road coming into the property or at least fill in potholes. Finally, I would not discourage anyone from staying here--it is clean, the staff are wonderful and breakfast is good. Just be sure that your expectations are not for a 5-star property.

Room Tip: The George Bowater and QE II rooms are the largest and well-appointed.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple