“One of the top 10 in Canada”
Review of The Bicycle Thief

Good for: Business meetings, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown Halifax
Reviewed 14 January 2018

This is one of the top restaurants in Canada, and consistently, year after year, does not disappoint. Amazing menu, great wines, unbelievable ambience, top-notch staff, and a wonderful place to hang out. Had a pasta and shrimp dish tonight and it was awesome! Very accommodating staff. I'll be back next year!!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,653)

Reviewed 13 January 2018

Third time here over the last few years (visiting friends) and food and service are always very good. Food is Italian with a few exceptions (a good hamburger for lunch) and seafood is well cooked.

Reviewed 13 January 2018

There are some places you can try to see if you'll enjoy it. And there are places that you go to because you KNOW you'll enjoy it. The Bicycle Thief is the latter. Yes, it can be a little more expensive than some of the other restaurants around, but it's absolutely nothing when you consider the great service, the attention to detail and the quality of the meals. When you go to the Bicycle Thief, it doesn't matter what you order. You know it'll be good. Have been there for lunch, dinner and drinks and they haven't missed the mark once. A must for any out-of-towners and for locals who want to treat themselves for a night.

Reviewed 11 January 2018

This was my second time visiting The Bicycle Thief. The first time I was highly impressed. We were visiting Halifax for a conference, we called 1 month ahead to make our reservation, I noted it was a number of the people's first time, and I had raved about this restaurant to them, convincing all to book here.

When we arrived, we were seating in a small room to the right. Not out in the main restaurant where all the hype, and atmosphere is. We were all very disappointed. We asked if we could be changed, and they couldn't. I explained how I specifically in my reservation noted we wanted to be out where all the action was. Anyhow, that was disappointment number one.

The food this time was mediocre, but perhaps it was what I ordered. I had the tuna tartare as my app, and it was just too much. I was turned off before I got near the end of it, then my main was some sort of pasta dish, that was just ok. The biggest disappointment of all was the cost for a glass of wine. The sizes that are available is 3 oz (who ever orders just 3 ounces?), then 5 and after that is a bottle. I've been to an awful lot of restaurants, and I have yet to see 3 even offered. I've see 5, 8, 1/2 litre, bottle etc... So I asked if I wanted to get a larger glass than 5 what would I do, she said we can do 8 ounces. I asked how much, she said you would add the 3 & 5 ounce totals together. So my one glass of malbec cost me - wait for it - $25.00 - yup crazy, everyone of us in our group were shocked. Due to this fact alone, and the jam you in the restaurant to make money side room that should be for small groups and private parties, I won't go back. The next night we did the Keg - far better service and food, and the wine pricing - a 9 ounce glass of malbec at the Keg is $14 (fyi)

3  Thank QualityQuest71
Reviewed 11 January 2018 via mobile

What a great surprise..
All of my favorite people all met at the Bicycle Thief. Great food, excellent service and the atmosphere was very relaxing.
I highly recommend a meal here!!