“Last minute dinner decision led us here, and we weren't disappointed.”

Town & Country Steakhouse
Ranked #153 of 548 Restaurants in Barrie
Price range: US$25 - US$99
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 26 November 2017

My wife and I had plans for an after dinner gathering with my co-workers, we decided last second to go out for dinner before hand. We'd heard good things about T&C, and we certainly weren't disappointed when we ate there this evening.

I ordered the 10 oz top sirloin, medium rare. My Wife ordered the petite filet, medium. We both had baked potato and the house salad and dinner came with garlic toast and a nice pickle tray with pickled red peppers, dill pickles and kalamata olives. My steak was extremely flavourful, cooked to perfection and very tender, my Wife's was as well. The mushrooms that the steaks were topped with were delicious, a sherry based sauce, I believe. Baked potato was a good temperature, not too hot as to burn your lips, but not too cool as to not melt butter promptly. The salad and pickle tray were great, my wife said she would order the dressing on the side next time, as she felt there was a little too much of it, I found it perfect.

The service was spot on, we had our 3 course meal (salad, steak and potato, NYC cheesecake and coffee) and we were in the restaurant for around an hour.
We weren't rushed out or anything, service was just that prompt... we had our salad, bread and pickle tray within 3 minutes of ordering. Steaks came maybe 15 minutes later, then dessert and coffee came about 25 minutes after that. Can't wait to go there again.

Reviewed 28 October 2017

We had an extremely enjoyable dinner evening at Town & Country in Barrie. Staff were very attentive and our server Mike was a blast. The size of the dining room made it a perfect spot for a more intimate dinner date fand it was definitely a different experience than most of the meals we've had out at chain restaurants (which we also do enjoy regularly).

We enjoyed a Saganaki cheese appetizer and some excellent garlic bread with our wine while awaiting our steak dinners. We both ended up ordering one of the specials our server suggested. Both meals were timed and served well and we really enjoyed the experience of having one of the dishes set on fire with ouzo at the table ha. Garlic mashed potatoes were great and both our steaks were cooked just as we asked.

Portions were solid and we both ended up saving some leftovers to bring home... which was great because it saved some room for a flambé fruit dessert cooked up right beside our table unexpectedly!

We had a great time this being our first visit to this restaurant and would certainly return for special occasions and reasons to celebrate. We were happy to support a local family restaurant business and overall exceeded our expectations.

Reviewed 10 September 2017

The salad that is served along with a main course ordered is lettuce topped with heaps of feta making it wet and sloppy.
The garlic bread was perfect.
In a group of 6 in a mostly empty restaurant on a Thursday night, none of us found our entrees to be satisfactory.
This was my third visit to this restaurant, the second was to give it a second chance, the third has assured me I won't go again.

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

Had a great evening. The food was great ordered
The small steak that came with salad garlic bread
And potato. It was done to perfection. Not pricey at
All. Everyone was pleased with what they ordered.
We all plan to go back next month for the next
Birthday also birthday girl got a slice of cake with
Sparkler very thoughtful and kind for the restaurant
To do this. Great place

Reviewed 3 September 2017

I would like to rate this between and average and almost very good but there is no way to do this with only 5 stars.

Good - we had good service, no issues there. The place was about 70 - 80% full and we had reservations. I did not see a lot of servers but we did not have to really wait for anything. Our host was very pleasant and attentive. Was an older gentleman who I almost thought was an owner.

Good - Wine, It was 2012 Zonin Ripasso Valpolicella which is not listed at the LCBO but I have favored in the past. Normally a bottle of this would be about 30-35$ CND I estimate equivalent retail and 50-60$ "restaurant" pricing I would expect, maybe I am a bit low as T&C listed it at 75$. Anyway it is a excellent wine.

Bad - Appetizer - Fail ... It did not ever come, i don't think. We both ordered a greek salad and we did get what appeared to be a house salad that had some feta cheese on it but no way was it a greek salad (it had some creamy dressing on it and was only iceberg and some purple lettuce). It was also small and certainly not worth or even close to 12$!
But since I never received a copy of the bill - I really have no idea. The menu said dinner came with a salad so I assume that it was the dinner salad.

Good - Had fries and I liked them.

Good - I had a 12oz N.Y. Strip and it was well flavoured and properly cooked. I prefer a little more char on the outside (cook at higher heat shorter time) but it was not bad.
Good - my wife had a Fillet Mignon with shrimp and she really liked it - a lot. perfectly cooked and very nice. Shrimp were good she said.

Bad - Her garlic mashed potatoes were so hot they were bubbling, Over cooking potatoes makes them starchy. Plus it was so hot that it was dangerous and inedible for quite a while. She didn't bother mostly.

Indifferent- There was a peppercorn mushroom sauce on my steak, it could have been skipped. Way too much corn starch in it - seemed like a commercial sauce and only button mushrooms (which were nicely sauteed anyway) .

Fail - Condiments --- > A good steak house should always have a pepper grinder and preferably a salt grinder with coarse salt and/or sea salt. They had neither nor was pepper offered from a mill when meal served (salad or dinner) . Total fail and inexcusable. And I should not have to ask -- they should take a trip down south to Charlie's, Keens or Gibsons or equal to see how it is done. The Doctors House here in Ontario also has spectacular steaks.

Ok - table setting , I thought the silverware looked cheap but was serviceable. Table cleanness was good. Decor was ok.. no problems.

Unknown - the bar , no bar list I got .... looked like they had some nice stuff, but we shall never know. Non was offered.

Both specials that night sounded good but I have to avoid cheese pretty much except for small amounts and both speciales had lots of it - no fault of T&C though - but
they should consider this.

Other notes - wine list should be left at table, maybe I wanted another bottle, or bar list .

No dessert menu - though probably was if asked for. Skipped dessart but would have been interesting to know what was available.

T&C has a large internet presence and marketing and I was expecting more / better.