“Still the worst food ever”
Review of Bistro Parisien - CLOSED

Bistro Parisien
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I was invited there by friends fir dinner, I tried to convince them to go elsewhere because of my dislike of the food. Anyways to sum up the meal...

It was the worst meal I've eaten in any establishment.

I re-tired the lamp chops...it was all fat, cold, tasteless and not eatable. The sides were bland lacked seasoning and rather mundane. The undercooked beans had more flavour then the whole plate.

The French onion soup was much better than before, but still dies not rate more than a two star rating.

The Beignets de Banane were too greasy and.fried it oil that was too cold or over done. Not worth the money.

And why is a Rusty nail drink have to cost $12.95 per drink?

Why hire a French speaking waiter that can't speak English? He screwed the order for our table five times. I'm glad I didn't pay for the meal!

Save your money and got to another food provider that is higher rated than thus one.

1  Thank Kungboy

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Bistro Parisien never disappoints. From the service to the food, everything is enjoyable and delicious. They always go the extra mile to make sure everything is perfect. I have been many times and our family has even reserved the Bistro for a private function and special ordered French pastries for a party at home.

When I reserved a table for my father's birthday ( a frequent patron) they asked if they could make his favourite dessert that's not on the menu. That's the kind of service you rarely find anywhere.

To those that complained that it's not as formal as they would have expected, it's a French Bistro! It's elegant yet casual and comfortable where you will find diners in everything from suits to jeans. That's just another thing that makes it so interesting and enjoyable.

As for dessert, try the tart! It's mouthwatering...

So, treat yourself to a wonderful meal with exceptional friendly service where you can relax and enjoy!

4  Thank BHR49
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We moved to Hamilton a year ago, and have discovered a number of very good restaurants. We would never have found Bistro Parisien on our own. In fact, while looking for it in the neighbourhood, checking at several establishments yielded vague or unknowing answers.
It was a good thing that eventually our host was on the street and flagged us down.

Our host, a long-time resident had been at the Bistro a number of times and considers it one of the two best Hamilton restaurants.

We are not qualified to rate it on the basis of one visit and not enough our visits to other restaurants, but we will certainly be returning. Four of five in the party ordered the sweetbreads, which were accompanied by 6 vegetables; all distinctive but harmonizing and all cooked to the right degree. The sweetbreads were great. The fifth person had the fish of the day (trout) and was similarly satisfied. Two shared a lovely green salad, and one had the soup of the day (tomato orzata). Two desserts were ordered; creme brule (four out of five stars) and the chocolate marquise, which was just great.

1  Thank Androscan
Reviewed 10 April 2013

After days of cooking for others recently (enjoyable but tiring) I treated myself to a cook's day off by visiting Bistro Parisien to have someone else cook something lovely for me for my lunch!
I had the Frit and steak as my main ( they were out of the regular lunch prix fix. I chose the soup of the day ( black bean) steaming on that cold day. I worried that I would have too much with that generous serving and bread but the mood of the place --unhurried and bright ---let me enjoy this lovely food and slow down. Just what I needed to savour this fine fare. The Bread was freshly baked at BP and was fragrant and flavourful. I'd heard that it was very good from some friends and I was not disappointed.
My coffee came to the table in a french press and there was enough for me to enjoy two cups. It was acompanied by a smlall little jug of milk so I enjoy it without having to ask the server for more of those tastless tiny milk plastic containers...
Thank you for feeding me such lovely food prepared with care and letting me sit quietly in an establishment that clearly loves and respects the food so much. Merci bien!

2  Thank Garnoch
Reviewed 15 January 2013

Bistro Parisien is a hidden gem in Hamilton's James South district. And, it serves the most toothsome "frites" in all of Hamilton.

Several things distinguish the quality of this tiny Parisian-inspired bistro as the best French/bistro food in Hamilton, in my opinion.

One: they never compromise from their commitment to high quality ingredients, leading to exceptional food. From a well-aged house-made shallot vinegar served on perfectly chilled oysters (sourced weekly from Rodney's in Toronto), to hand-grated horseradish, to salads that are expertly tossed with blue cheese, walnuts, nut oils, and perfectly ripe pear, the menu speaks to the insistence on good products, start to finish. Everything is solidly executed by an experienced solo chef, who knows his foie and his bavette steaks (and occasionally says hi if you pop by the kitchen on the way to the washroom).

Two: quality to price ratio: I have never had a better meal for $35 (dinner) or $25 (lunch).
A steak frites will cost you $10 on Mondays, with the purchase of an appetizer or dessert. Duck confit is two legs of duck, with several lovingly-prepared vegetable accompaniments: carrots scented with citrus rind, agrodolce-braised red cabbage, meltingly-soft leek rounds, or whatever is in season. Nothing fancy, but always solididly prepared. The wine and beer is also extremely well-priced, with house white starting at something insane like $20 a bottle.

Lastly, the server, Gervais, is the most genuine and unabashedly sweet Frenchman- someone who gave up France for Hamilton's east end, people!

A word on those frites: they are thin-cut, crispy, with a taste that comes from small-batch frying in pure peanut oil. They will be your solace in times of need...eat at Bistro, and become a frites fan forever! Check it out yourself!

3  Thank Travellingtwosome