“Decent breakfast ”

Peter's Place Restaurant
Ranked #33 of 454 Restaurants in Kingston
Cuisines: Canadian
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

I have had takeout breakfast from here a number of times and it is consistently good, reasonably priced with good service.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

It was serendipity. Friends called to ask what our favourite store was in Kingston. They had just arrived in Kingston from Victoria and we were near Trenton on the 401 heading home to Ottawa. We agreed to meet at Peter's Place. Our group could have been 9-14 depending on grandchildren, but two of us arrived first and they quickly set aside enough seating for our group. It is not a big place. Then five dropped out, then four. No problem, seating was rearranged. What nice people to look after our ridiculous situation. PS the lunch was great as always.

Reviewed 7 March 2018

I generally don't write negative review (or reviews in general), but this one is ridiculous. I waited at the front to be seated, but the host peaked at me and neglected me for the next few minutes, until I cringly approached to the counter because I don't know what I should do. The host then raised eyebrows and asked "can I help you with anything". I then got seated but that's not it.

After I ordered my omelette, I was trying to order another plate, but the host pull the menu from my hand and quickly walked away without asking anything, like if that's all I want to order. Her movement was too quick to even let me begin another sentence! That's almost rude.

I stayed at Peter's Place for about 30 minutes, and that exact same host greeted and welcomed everyone the second they walked in with a cheerful smile and "how can I help you". Cool. Guess I am just too sensitive.

Because the omelette combo is very greasy and I couldn't finish it, I kindly ask if I could have my food packed up and get my bill. The host once again raised eyebrow and said " I will get you a take-out box and YOU will have to pack it up". I do pack the food myself a lot in restaurants but I am just used to ask that in this way, there is really no need to come back with a box and repeated "now YOU pack it up" again.

I did not feel welcomed at Peter's Place. I am sure some people had a blast here, like today it's really just me that's being treated this way. I don't a clue of why this happened , so I will take a wild guess: if you look foreign (ie. black hair), I wouldn't recommend you go there; otherwise, do go and enjoy a good welcoming ambience and a reasonable price of food.

Reviewed 27 February 2018

Great local breakfast spot! This is where the locals go. Get there early! Or there will be a line up!
We had thedaily special pea meal bacon with eggs and hash browns. Amazing hash browns , really fresh eggs and great coffee!
Friendly and attentive service!
Funny that you could see people with really expensive cars trying to gage the place.....

In case you did not realize when it is all new and shiny ....the prices will be through the roof! This is a quaint, clean, local joint serving great honest food.

I can’t wait to go back!!!!

Reviewed 23 January 2018

This was a very unexpected find - in a very good way. We have been going to Kingston, Ontario for a couple of years and this small restaurant tucked away in downtown Kingston on Princess Street was a delightful revelation.

On a very cold Sunday morning - that cold, stormy Nor'easter weekend we had in early January - we found ourselves in this restaurant, highly recommended by the hotel we were staying in. With the cold strong wind behind us, we walked in and the conversation sort of stopped - at 10am on a freezing Sunday morning, it was packed and it was very evident that everybody knows everyone by name. Then, smiles of welcome all around - and things quickly warmed up .

The food was good, the service was excellent and the atmosphere, very friendly. A place to get comfortable in, eat comfort food, meet the local people and feel very welcome. It’s a roll back in time to the days of the TV show ‘Cheers’ - except it’s a breakfast place, not a bar.

A few minutes after we were seated, we were engaged in conversation with the couple on the next table. We couldn't have asked for a better place to have Brunch before starting our long drive back home.

Kingston is very much a University town... with a downtown full of the hustle and bustle of students going about their business - though admittedly, not early on a Sunday morning. However, if you want to meet the locals and learn more about the community, Pete's Place is where you must go to break bread.

Another thing worth noting, the concept of Pay-It-Forward is alive and well at Pete's Place - just ask the lady in charge.