“I loved it!”

Strathaird Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #21 of 69 Niagara Falls B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 June 2017

Val and Tom were amazing hosts and their home is lovely.

We stayed in one of the smaller rooms but it was very comfortable and plenty big enough for my husband an I.

Their home is extremely clean and the bed was very comfortable indeed.

The location is walking distance from the train and bus if you come in that way.

I would highly recommend to anyone.

I hope to return next year.

Room Tip: There are two queen rooms and one double room so it really is a preference thing.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Valerie J, Owner at Strathaird Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2017

glad you enjoyed your visit, it was great to meet you both many thanks Val & Tom

Reviewed 26 May 2017

Wonderful experience. Close to pretty much everything you'd want in the area of the Falls, and they are probably one of the more convenient B&Bs in terms of its distance from the WEGO stop, especially if, like me, you have a few physical difficulties in the form of getting tired easily. (If you can walk, though, it's quite close to the Falls!)

When my husband booked, he called them instead of booking through a service, and the owners were kind enough to give him a small discount for doing so. Then, once we arrived, my husband only had American currency, and to make it easier to make change for the payment, we got another slight discount. These are some seriously kind people! The price, too, was perfect for our needs, and you get a personal touch you wouldn't get at a hotel.

The location is right on the corner of two streets, and parking is around the corner in the back of the property. There was plenty of room to park, so if it wasn't a weekday and they had a full house, it should be easy to fit everyone's car. Tom was on the back deck to greet us, pointing us around to the front of the house, where he'd check us in. That was when we settled payment for the room, and after he explained where you could find some of the more touristy locations, like a Ripley's Believe It Or Not shop, the Hard Rock Cafe, etc., he also pointed to other places where we could possibly get dinner if we wanted a different experience. One of the places he'd mentioned was one we'd already had our eye on, so having that additional bit of endorsement helped! He also took our breakfast orders at that time - my husband had asked when he booked whether there would be a vegetarian option for me, so when my husband asked to make sure that it still wasn't a surprise, Tom explained that they serve basically a Scottish breakfast, and the only thing that would be missing from my plate was the bacon. I definitely wouldn't go hungry! I've always wanted to try a full breakfast of that type, so I was excited to see what that looked like. The only thing we had to do was show up for our breakfast time (9:00), ready to eat.

Tom then offered us the choice of which of the two open bedrooms we preferred. We settled on the blue room. Both open rooms had ensuite bathrooms, so no one will have that awkward dance you have to do to figure out when the toilet/shower were free if shared with other guests. There weren't many outlets, but I believe it's an older home, and it's nothing we couldn't manage easily. The rooms were immaculate, and given the large basket of travel-sized toiletries in the hall, I'd assume that if you forgot something, you'd find what you need there. The home is equipped with wifi, and the speed is more than adequate. If you find yourself missing a TV in the room, you can watch something on your laptop, or they have a shared area with a television that you can use to unwind at the end of the day.

Then Tom left us to it. I needed a bit of a rest - I have a bad back, and the opportunity to get off of it for a bit was very much welcome to me. After I started feeling better, we went out to dinner at one of the restaurants Tom mentioned, the same one we'd had our eye on before. He definitely didn't steer us wrong there. It was away from the touristy area, which I appreciated a lot, but not so far from the property that someone (with a much better back than mine) who wanted to walk couldn't get there in a reasonable timeframe - maybe 15 minutes or so. There are lots of options like that in the area.

We came back to the house and settled ourselves back into the room. We turned in at a reasonable hour to make it in time for our 9AM breakfast. In the morning, we were treated to, as promised, a Scottish breakfast, starting with fresh fruit and quick breads, followed by a plate with beans, eggs, toast, deliciously crispy skillet potatoes, tomato, and a slice of orange - plus some bacon for my meat-eating husband. That was more than enough to keep us fueled through the morning! My husband asked if we could leave our car in the lot, even though we were checking out, to take advantage of a bus pass that could drop us off at various places at the Falls, and Tom was happy to let him do so; we just had to put our belongings in the car so that they could clean and service the room in time for their guests arriving that evening. They even graciously filled up our water bottle before we checked out to head to the Falls.

All in all, a wonderful experience. Tom and Val are more than happy to help with whatever you need as a guest, and they are great at directing people to the parts of Niagara they want to see. It's a quiet, cozy space. I loved this experience. If we find ourself in Niagara again, I think we'll seek out Tom and Val again. They are lovely people with a lovely home and a breakfast that rivals what my mom can make (high praise!). As brief getaways go, this was one of the better ones, and I think part of that was this stay. Wonderful hosts!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Erin J

glad you enjoyed your stay with us we really enjoyed meeting you, many thanks Val & Tom

Reviewed 12 September 2016 via mobile

Our stay here was fantastic. Check-in was quick and easy, the hosts were very welcoming and informative about the area. Our room was very clean and comfortable, and breakfast was absolutely amazing! Very accommodating and friendly people, we would definitely go back in a heartbeat! I'm still thinking about the homemade bread and muffins!

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2016

Great stay at the Strathaird B&B. Tom and Val were excellent hosts with just the right amount of guest interaction. We found the room to be cosy and comfortable, and really liked that there were no TVs in the rooms. This keeps things nice and quiet upstairs for a great sleep.

I could tell that the owners take great care in ensuring the rooms are kept clean. The common rooms were also well maintained and tidy. There is a spot by the front door for outdoor shoes which contributes to cleanliness.

Complimentary tea and coffee are available in the dining room. There is also a small fridge with pop and water for a small fee, just drop your change on the honor system. The common room is at the other end of the dining room with a comfortable loveseat and sofa.

Breakfast timing was confirmed during check-in. I won't ruin the surprise by detailing the meal. I can assure you that we were served a lovely assortment of items each day and left the table well full of tasty home cooked treats.

Personal request from me for other guests, if you are able to do so please pay in cash with small businesses like Strathaird B&B. This helps them to continue keep their prices at the great rates you see. Otherwise they end up loosing the fees to credit card companies.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2016 via mobile

Tom and Val, the hosts, do everything to make you feel at home here. Nice welcome with lots of tips and hints as to what to visit and where to eat.
Nice bedrooms, if a little small. Everything very clean and really good WiFi. The breakfast was delicious, it set us up for the whole day. The location is within reasonable walking distance of the attractions. Tee, coffee available at all times.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family