All reviews granny smith room other guests restaurants and shopping wonderful hosts the main street old friends queen street wonderful cook shaw festival private bathroom quiet street breakfast each morning a wonderful stay wine tasting b b's long weekend great weekend
Reviewed 26 October 2011

My Boyfriend and I stayed here for one night in October.
This was our first time Niagara on the Lake and we are so happy we chose this B &B. It’s proximity to everything, coziness and gracious, knowledgeable hosts made for a wonderful 1st experience.
The house is charming and cozy and the decor is true to its history. The house smells amazing. We stayed in the Granny Smith Room which is cozy and exactly what we like about B &B’s. The little writing nook, updated bath with spa like shower and beautiful bed, with a view of the backyard were wonderful. We loved watching the squirrels on the roof. A previous posts mentioned this room it too small for comfort- this is not a suite at the Hilton- this is someone’s home and we loved how cozy and romantic this room was. A previous post also mentioned their distaste of being asked to not wear shoes up in the bedroom. I for one am THRILLED to know that people have not had their outdoor shoes on in the bedroom or god forbid, on the bed. The house was spotless!
The hosts were kind and greeted us with warmth. They had great recommendations on restaurants and wineries and even gave us a few free tastings which we took full advantage of.
Breakfast was amazing! Gail is such a creative chef and has turned food into a work of art. Fine china and crystal make breakfast time here special. It’s not often you get to chat with other travelers and we thoroughly enjoyed sitting around the breakfast table with other guests and Gail and David.

We would recommend this place in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2011

My mother and I had the most wonderful weekend staying at the Apple Tree B&B. Gail and Dave were so gracious and accommodating even when we had to change our arrival time. The decor of the Apple Tree was absolutely lovely. It is obvious Gail and Dave put great care into every detail of their home for their guests. We enjoyed sitting in the cozy living room at night. Gail always has soft music playing and tea, cocoa, etc. available to enjoy. Our room, the Macintosh was just beautiful, the beds were So comfortable, and the bathrooms were wonderful! The breakfasts were absolutely delicious. We really enjoyed our time around the breakfast table! It was really delightful chatting with Gail and the other guests! The location is perfect to walk around and enjoy the beautiful town of Niagara on the Lake. Gail was very helpful with suggestions for great places to eat! We can't wait to return to the Apple Tree for our girls weekend next year!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Location is great, breakfast food was tasty but many negatives make this one of the worst B&B experiences we have had. Bedroom (Granny Smith) was claustriphobically tiny - I could touch all walls from the bed - and hot (one small window over a roof). though the bathroom was very nice (whirlpool tub).Owners were not there to greet us upon arrival - and I do not fault them - but it would have been nice to have been informed by email prior to this. Instead, taped to the door was the keycode to enter and rules of the house - no shoes in the bedroom to preserve the antiques!!!! This seemed very weird and offputting and I never would have stayed here had I known that. This is after all a hotel, not your private home. Breakfast was tasty and plentiful but Gail was odd - she moved my scone off my plate (!) to put my entree on it (rather than asking me if I could move it), described the dish as involving good ham 'with no crap in it', and then described witnessing a lamb being born at a nearby farm, including gory details of the sort you mother teaches you are not appropriate at the table. We left right after breakfast and she insisted on hugging us both good bye as if we were old friends - I had just met her at breakfast! We frequent B & B's often and enjoy eccentricities, but this one was a little too weird for me. I would not recommend.

Room Tip: Avoid Granny Smith - too small for comfort
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank buffal0gal
manican, Owner at Apple Tree Historic Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2011

This guest (I do not include the partner because I doubt they want to be associated with this negative review) was over an hour late for check in time as clearly outlined in their reservation confirmation. There is ample opportunity to request a suitable arrival time outside of the standard check-in policy and they ignored the option. Although the room is not huge we would not be able to license a room as small as she describes it. In reality this B&B is not a hotel. It is a private home where guests can pay for the priviledge to stay and enjoy the house and hospitality provided by the host. Including the occasional heart warming story one of which is about the birth of a baby lamb. Our one house rule is that we do not permit street shoes in the bedroom. This makes it better for the quiet enjoyment for all guests and it does help to protect the 190 year old pine floor boards. The host is preparing and serving the food so it is entirely likely that she will touch your scone at some point. We strive for a high standard in food quality and we think you might be happy to know when there is no additives or preservatives. And who can't appreciate a hug from a friendly and cheerful host??? Over our 8 years here we have gathered a following of literally hundreds of returning customers that enjoy the home and appreciate character and hospitality of the hosts.

Reviewed 30 August 2011

We had a lovely time at Apple tree! The hospitality was fantastic, Gail and Dave made us feel right at home. They were kind enough to give us excellent restaurant, winery & shopping recommendations, along with winery passes. The breakfast was wonderful each morning and the BB was located close to everything Niagara on the lake has to offer. Overall, we had a great time and I would highly recommend staying at the Apple Tree to others.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Gail and Dave were excellent hosts. The home was built circa 1820 and was very charming. Gail was so helpful and gave us excellent reccomendations of places to go and sites to see. We took her up on most of them and loved it...it made our time there just as we hoped for! Finally, her breakfest the next morning was amazing....We've stayed at other B&B's but this by far was our best experience!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Granny Smith room. Although small, it was perfect for the two of us and we loved the jetted tub!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple