“A pleasant dinner for two while tasting their oil and vinegars”

OLiV Tapas Bar & Restaurant at Strewn Winery
Reserve with OpenTable
OLiV Tapas Bar & Restaurant at Strewn Winery is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$7 - US$30
Description: OLiV Tasting Room & Restaurant located at Strewn Winery combines the rich flavours of OLiV Extra Virgin Olive Oils and True Balsamic Vinegars with fresh foods to provide a dining experience unlike any other. To round out your visit, try our selection of Strewn wines, chosen to perfectly compliment our Chef's culinary creations.
Reviewed 20 August 2015

We were already fans of Oliv olive oil and balsamic vinegars but we hadn't been to their restaurant. This was a pleasant experience for the 2 of us for a romantic dinner. While I wouldn't say it's the best menu tasting experience, it was nonetheless very good and giving us ideas on how to use their oils and vinegars differently in cooking -- not just for salad dressings.

This is combined with their tasting room for trying these oils/vinegars along with Strewn's wine. I found the price for the wine to be good for a restaurant, allowing you to get several of the wines in 3oz, 6oz, and 9oz formats -- allowing to try several of them during dinner.

For dinner, we took 5 of their tapas dishes and they were all good. My only drawback is that they brought all 5 of them in 1 serving, making it difficult to try them properly -- especially the warm ones.

The strawberry salad was excellent, and do try their raspberry brownies...

1  Thank Maxime B

Reviewed 16 August 2015

I would rate this 2 1/2 out of 5, the olive oil/balsamic vinegar tasting we did before our scheduled dinner was fine, Stephanie who was out tasting rep. was very knowledgeable and gave us some ideas. The actual dinner that the 4 of us had was not up to par, including the service which was a bit slow and we had reservations for 6:00 pm, and the restaurant was about 1/4 capacity. We ordered the hummus tapas which there was no actual hummus and the Greek olives for starters which were OK. As for the mains I ordered the chorizo gnocchi which I was not happy with at all, the gnocchi tasted rubbery, not home made, almost like the ones you would by in a grocery store that are vaccum sealed, the sausage was fine had a bit of a kick. The 2 ladies ordered the linguine chicken putanesca, being Italian we were expecting the sauce to be drier not like it was a soup which this was, the pasta and other ingredients almost seemed to be floating in it, we thought maybe they forgot to drain the pasta. My friend enjoyed the seafood linguine. We ordered 4 espresso's which took about 10-15 minutes, only 1 of them had the creamy foam still on top, it seemed that the other 3 were made way ahead of time, I actually commented on them when they were served to us and the server said yes that one with the foam was the last one that was made. Our server Stephen was very nice, no complaints about him, but I would not come back. Prices are reasonable for Niagara on the Lake.

Reviewed 16 August 2015

We have been having lunch at Terroir La Cachette Restaurant & Wine Bar at this location on day trips to Niagara-on-the-Lake for many years. I saw the olive oil tasting bar on arrival but we walked right through the main restaurant to the patio. I didn’t realize until we were leaving that this was a new restaurant at Strewn.

I was very impressed with the food but then I always was under the previous ownership. Perhaps we should have had a clue when the basket of bread arrived with very nice olive oil and balsamic for dipping.

The very knowledgeable and very pleasant young women serving our table talked me into the cold watermelon soup. If it is on when you visit do not miss it. There was a medallion of goat cheese mousse in the middle of the soup plate. It was topped with a salsa of finely diced apple and pear with mint and basil leaves. On top was something that looked like caviar but turned out to be balsamic pearls. The cold and spicy soup was poured around this small mountain at the table.[picture attached]. I will be trying it at home including the Molecular Gastronomy required to produce the balsamic pearls. I suspect our server was a culinary student; she was able to accurately describe the process and used the term molecular gastronomy.

I followed the soup with the beef carpaccio. It was so good it deserves a complete description here:
BEEF CARPACCIO
Thinly Shaved Beef, Parmigiano Reggiano, Baby Arugula, Olives, Confit Capers,
OLiV Garlic Cilantro Aioli, Cracked Salt & Pepper, Chef's Choice of OLiV TruffleEVOO.

My wife had the Quiche of the day and pronounced it very good. It was finished with the ubiquitous olive oil.

A great place for lunch and never as crowded as the restaurants on the main street of Niagara-on-the-Lake.

Reviewed 5 August 2015 via mobile

The Wines, different olive oils and balsamic vinegars were superb! our Antipasto platter at lunch was the perfect compliment to the excellent wine! Excellent service, delicious food and wine.

1  Thank JDC1961
Reviewed 30 July 2015

Again, I consulted TripAdvisor to decide on where we should have dinner during our recent visit to Niagara-on-the-Lake. OLiV sounded interesting so we booked it. Between the three of us, we shared four starters, two mains and two desserts and paired them with some of the Strewn wines that we still wanted to taste (since we did not try everything in the tasting room). Almost everything that came out of the kitchen was excellent in terms of ingredients, flavours, textures and presentation. Service was also excellent! Our only complaint was that the desserts included a piece of luscious looking apricot that was grossly under-ripe (stone hard) and inedible. When I provided that feedback to our server, he promised to share it with the chef. Perfection would have been if the chef then sent out a plate of one piece of perfectly ripe fruit but, alas, that didn't happen!

Date of visit: July 2015