“Great Wine and Tapas place”
Review of Bar Laurel

Bar Laurel
Reserve with OpenTable
Bar Laurel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #222 of 2,882 Restaurants in Ottawa
Reviewed 16 November 2017

Been there in several occasions.
In all these times everyone enjoyed the food and the drinks.
It isn't the place for a hearty dinner but has few great taste tapas dishes full of flavor and imagination and some a the best cocktails in Ottawa
Its location is wonderful if you don't wish to ride to downtown, with lots of parking.
If you come in summer time, take a seat at one of the tables on the sidewalk and enjoy a drink and a bite.
The service quality varies from one waiters to another but overall it is a fun place for late night out.

Reviewed 6 November 2017 via mobile

Thoroughly enjoyed Bar Laurel once again. This place has the most authentic dishes that we’ve found so far in Ottawa. We started with cocktails and I was overjoyed when I tasted their sidra which was close enough to txakoli (effervescent white wine). It was more floral than the white counterpart and was perfectly served. After a bit of a wait given that the first seating was running late, we were finally seated at a table and given complimentary glasses of cava. It was a gesture that we very much appreciated.

And now the food. We started with the pork and shrimp pintxos with patatas bravas. Every morsel was perfectly charred and tasted of various flagrant spices. Lip smacking good. We followed this with the charred peppers and sardines. This one was truly amazing. A fresh taste of lemon with mini asparagus on whipped goat cheese. For dessert, we wanted to stay with the salty side of things and chose the cod fish (bacalao) to reminisce our last trip to San Sebastián. The dish was smooth and spicy with its aioli.

With another two glasses of cava, we finished off the evening perfectly. The place is super tiny, so reservations are a must to avoid disappointment. The only down side was the noise level which made it difficult to have a meaningful conversation. Not sure why it’s so loud given the tight quarters. The bar staff are quite interesting to watch mix the drinks (one has a raw egg in it... fascinating). Service is discreet and present.

We were celebrating our 17th anniversary and it really made for a lovely evening.

Reviewed 5 November 2017

I had a delicious meal at Bar Laurel. I was dining with a friend who is vegetarian and we had a wonderful choice and found a lot of interest on the menu. The smoke almonds were fantastic and had the same satisfying quality of bacon. The dinning room too was inviting and cozy.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

One of my favorite spots for a date night! The boqueronés are to die for, the wine list is everything I want and the cocktails are really well crafted. They book up fast so be sure to make a reservation to avoid being disappointed!!

Reviewed 28 September 2017 via mobile

I had heard great things about this place, but I was very disappointed. From the food, atmosphere to the service...it was all just ok. The place was nice, but the music was so loud that it was impossible to have a conversation. Everyone was yelling to try and hear each other. The service was slow, we got there at 8, no one came to take our order until 8:42 to be exact...way too long, specially since we couldn't talk to each other. If the food is good, then you can overlook all this, but it wasn't. I had the meatballs, the tuna crudo, the croquettes and a bread plate. The croquettes I will admit were very good, but everything else was just ok. The meatball were not even ok, not much flavour to them. The bread you had to rub a tomato on it, which tasted fine but the tomato came apart in your hands...so pretty messy.
Overall, I don't think I would go back. It was a little pricey, and I don't mind paying for GOOD food...but this was not!