“disappointing for the price”
Review of Nota Bene

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Queen Street and West Queen West
Cross street: University
Transit: Subway: Osgoode Station Street Car: Queen West Street Car
Description: Nota Bene restaurant is a sophisticated dining establishment created and run by famed Toronto Chef David Lee. Opened in August 2008, the restaurant has garnered much critical acclaim and has been featured on countless “best of” lists including Toronto Life, En Route Magazine, Maclean's and most recently, Canada’s 100 Best Restaurants.
Reviewed 16 July 2017

Went here on a double-date and, while we loved the service, the food was "oversold" by the server, and was very disappointing. Pasta was a bit undercooked and the combinations of tastes sometimes did not work. Overall, we were hoping for an inventive and smart dining experience, but felt that it was more show than substance!

There are newer reviews for Nota Bene

Reviewed 11 July 2017

Went with two friends for the first day of Summerlicious for lunch. The food was absolutely outstanding. One person ordered the beet salad, Vietnamese chicken slaw, and the sorbet, another ordered the lobster soup, the blackened whitefish, and the trifle, and I had the tuna tartare, Vietnamese chicken and trifle. All of us were very happy with our choices. The service was friendly and professional, and no one rushed us during our 2 hr lunch. An excellent choice for Summerlicious.

Reviewed 27 June 2017

I visited Nota Bene before attending the ballet at the Four Seasons Centre and it was delightful. I would love to return on another occasion when not as hurried and order from the full menu. The pre-ballet menu was well conceived and everything arrived promptly as promised, so we were even able to make it to the pre-show talk. Food was delicious and well-prepared and the service and atmosphere was excellent. I am very much looking forward to my next visit.

Reviewed 23 June 2017

A group of over 15 from all over the globe ate at Notta Bene in January and had a wonderful evening so, when our firm had a meeting this past week in Toronto we returned with “great expectations”. Overall, we were disappointed as it was not the very positive experience of January.
This visit was spoiled by a number of business/process matters. First, we were forced into a very limited choice menu multiple course meal at a fixed price that seemed to be a bit more than the menu pricing. Secondly, the restaurant tried (unsuccessfully) to have us order wine from a list that is not the normal one. Thirdly, we found the wine mark-up of what appears to be in the order of 3 times the retail price to be egregious (two of are party are Certified Sommeliers and one works with a local wine distributor and knows the pricing well). Finally, the Portuguese sommelier brought a bottle of port for us to share at the end of the meal and we were charged $50 “corkage” when the standard charge is $35. Frankly, given the size of the tab., most restaurants I am familiar with would have waived the corkage.
Our meals were not fabulous but were reasonably well prepared and served but the process and policies of the establishment, particularly the anomaly corkage fee, left a bad taste in the mouth of the “local host” and the rest of us as it was discussed the next day, despite the fact this was a company paid meal. I am the local host for the next meeting in October, particularly due to 1 to 4 above, really doubt we will return as there are many alternatives in the area whose approach to business is much more to my liking.

1  Thank Roger C
Reviewed 21 June 2017

Best fish I ever had period. I admit to not being overly knowledgeable when it comes to fine dining, but I know what i like and this place was a fantastic culinary experience. Will certainly return next time I go to Toronto. Eager to bring my daughter who simply loves fish.