“Gorgeous boutique hotel”
Review of Hotel Ocho

Hotel Ocho
Ranked #16 of 118 Toronto B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 February 2012

If I could describe this hotel in one word, it would be 'cool'. The interior is full of exposed brick, original art and hardwood floors. It fits right in with the Queen West area. My boyfriend and I were upgraded to a king suite, which was beautiful. Large windows, king size bed and stunning bathroom. The service was excellent. Really friendly and attentive staff. At the end of the night when we came back to our rooms dead tired, the barman was kind enough to give us complimentary cokes. It was a small gesture, but it went a long way. It's all in the details. The only criticism that I have is that while I loved the open concept of our room, I wish this hadn't been extended to the toilet. Regardless, for me the service made up for this inconvenience and I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 February 2012

This is a very small boutique hotel that's friendly and funky. They made me feel at home for a short stay and when I left my (computer) mouse behind, they cheerfully mailed it back to me, even though it was international mail. i've unfortunately left things behind at hotels before and they always "disappear." This is not some anonymous place -- the owners' passion shows through.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Leah H
Reviewed 28 December 2011

I love this place. Hotel Ocho gave me exactly what I needed, an exquisitely quiet room in a funky boutique hotel -- along with the perfect balance of thoughtful attentiveness and personal space, without the faintest whiff of grasping servitude or fake corporate bonhomie.

When I called at midnight to say that my flight was delayed six hours, they knew exactly who I was and when I arrived exhausted at 6am I was given a warm sympathetic welcome and a late check-out without question. My room had bare brick walls, windows that opened, a thoughtful layout and a comfy bed.

When I crawled out of bed in the early afternoon, I was delighted to find that the cafe downstairs had excellent espresso, free wi-fi and and natural sun-light: just what I needed to jump start my day.

And finally, when I checked out, I was delighted to see that the price of my stay included no surprises - except that it was so reasonable.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Thinkwire
Reviewed 7 December 2011

My girlfriend and I recently stayed there for a quick night.

The Ocho is a hip looking boutique hotel. While it doesn't have all the frills that a bigger one would provide, we do appreciate the more intimate feel of a small hotel. Service was great, as all the staff were friendly and helpful.

We went to the restaurant downstairs for desserts and coffee. Dimly lit with candles on the table, it's a nice place for a date or just a drink with friends.

The rooms were, as most have said, a bit on the minimalist side, but that was fine by us. Everything was clean and tidy, bed was comfortable and the large shower was a joy to use. The only downside is that the work desk was a little small, and it can be a little loud when the heat kicks in.

Overall, it's a great place to stay, at a great location. And since we got the room at a significantly cheaper price (they had a sale) than the similar calibre hotels in the area, even better!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kelvin M
Reviewed 29 November 2011

We stayed here for three night last weekend on a quick trip to Toronto - and had a great time! The reno is tasteful and maintains the traditional brick and wood of the warehouse while feeling clean and modern, if a little unfinished in areas. Location is fabulous between downtown entertainment, Queen shopping, and College or Kensington dining. The bathroom was large and the bed was comfortable. The Queen room was quite tight with the bed in the middle of the room and with only one chair, so it is not a place to hang out...unless you are horizontal. But, the main, and big plus, was the comfortable lounge/restaurant area downstairs which truly extended the usable space. We spent a whole afternoon and evening working on a project with laptops and felt completely comfortable, getting service as needed but never pressured to move-on. This atmosphere made it feel much more hospitable and friendly than most hotels - and for this I will return. Also, as others have commented, some of the services are a little more haphazard than you would expect in most hotels. In terms of both design and staff we felt like we had stepped into a buzzing start-up IT firm run by lots of young and hip 30-somethings. But they are enthusiastic and friendly, which more than made up for the odd unchanged towel etc. in my books - but is certainly not for everyone. All in all we were extremely satisfied for the $150ish a night deal, but I would certainly not pay the regular $300 rate that was listed until they work out the kinks.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple