“Memorable Birthday Luncheon!”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: North York
Reviewed 16 June 2016

We visited The David Duncan House on June 12th, 2016 for a luncheon to celebrate my sisters Birthday. The four of us had an amazing time! We ordered a Caesar Salad to start which was absolutely incredible. Our portions were enormous but we sure were not complaining! Since I prefer not to cook Liver and Onions in my home because the smell lingers for weeks, my husband took this opportunity to order one of his favourite dishes that he has been craving for a while. He said it was the best Liver, Onion and Bacon dish he has ever had. My sister and I ordered the scallops one of my favourite dishes which was fantastic. Our other family member, a regular at David Duncan, had Oysters Rockefeller which she orders each and every time she comes so clearly it is also amazing. I admit that I am an etiquette snob so I always enjoy white linens, a lovely appointed table and waiters dressed in tuxedo's isn't too shabby either! The piece de resistance was the flambé Cherries Jubilee prepared at our tableside. It is a very simple but very impressive dessert. Our luncheon at The David Duncan House was a lovely way to spend a Sunday afternoon and to celebrate my sisters special day.

1  Thank Deborah S

Reviewed 16 June 2016

Very old and 'stuffy' smelling. Needs update. It looks like it is in its original,state from 100 years ago. Food is good. Expensive. Patio is looking into parking cars.

1  Thank Zuzana
Reviewed 14 June 2016

On Sunday, June 5th we held my son’s confirmation party at the David Duncan House. We had 43 guests and they ranged in age from 3 to mid-80. The staff set aside the bottom two levels of the restaurant for our party. I dropped off everything at the restaurant on Saturday along with a plan and list of what needed to be done. I have never left the set up to a third party, I always like to manage this myself but when I left on Saturday I was at ease and felt comfortable leaving this task to the restaurant staff. We arrived at the restaurant and I was immediately able to relax and enjoy the evening with family and friends. Everything…was perfect! The cookies, cakes, bomboniere, table settings and center pieces were exactly where I wanted them. We were off to a great start. The area looked beautiful and elegant.

The guests enjoyed garlic bread, appetizer tray, calamari, pasta, New York Strip 8oz, Chicken Neptune or Grilled Atlantic Salmon, red skin mashed potatoes, vegetables, salad and an assortment of sweets. The food was wonderful and the service was fantastic and seamless. I was absolutely blown away with the professionalism and attention to detail from the staff. I highly recommend the following wines: Gallo Zinfandel, Jacob’s Creek Chardonnay and Masi Passo Doble Malbec.

My son enjoyed his celebration with family and friends. There is a fine balance that brings together an experience to make it wonderful. We are so lucky and blessed to have held our celebration at the David Duncan House!

1  Thank AMS2002
Reviewed 13 June 2016

It's an old farm house converted into a restaurant. Very nice decor and atmosphere. The male waiters are dressed in tuxs/suits. We went for Sunday lunch. We had the peppercorn steak $24.00 and the Halibut smothered with shrimp, crabmeat and hollandaise sauce $24.00. Both were excellent. The waiters are very refined and are well trained. However on this particular Sunday they were expecting a large group, and even though the group hadn't arrived while we were there, the waiters seemed very 'rushed' and a little 'sloppy'. Our coffee was served in a cup and saucer, but the saucer was had coffee spilled into it instead of being 'mopped' up before it was served to us. Our bill arrived, and was 'blank' on both sides of the paper. Someone obviously wasn't paying attention. Hopefully this was a one-time occurrence and the waiters will get into a groove again.

1  Thank pger_11
Reviewed 13 May 2016

We celebrated a birthday with dinner for 4 adults. Garlic bread and appetizer tray were very good. Modest priced wine was very good. Calamari appetizer was excellent. Waited for our steaks for at least 1 1/4 hours, and the steaks, entrees and vegetables were tasty but not hot - possibly because on that Saturday night there was also a wedding party in an adjacent area. Should there be private parties on a busy Saturday night? One steak arrived undercooked: it was returned to the grill and arrived back fairly quickly. Dessert and decaf coffees were excellent. Service was polite and professional, but unfortunately stuck with a too slow kitchen. One special diet was respected but steak and vegetables were initially undercooked for that person's needs. Elegant & comfortable setting.