“A Memorable Evening of Iranian Food”
Review of Zaffron

Zaffron
Ranked #3,126 of 9,450 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Italian, Persian
Neighbourhood: North York
Neighbourhood: North York
Reviewed 15 October 2016

Zaffron is an Iranian restaurant deep in the heart of North York. Take the TTC subway on the York line until you can go no farther, and you are there.

I had the opportunity to visit Zaffron with a group including two Iranian colleagues. This is a place that, on a Saturday night, was populated by many Iranians (or Torontonians of Iranian descent).

My Iranian colleagues ordered for the group. I do not remember everything we ate, but the food was excellent, and I am glad that they were there to help us put together an excellent meal (One of them apologetically said that the food was good but might have been better. The rest of us couldn't tell the difference).

The appetizers included bread, an eggplant dish, olives, and one or two other items that I don't recall), along with some salad. The main dishes included ground beef skewers, chicken skewers, lamb skewers, rice, and probably a couple of other things.

We finished with a super sweet dessert that might have been pure sugar.

This was a very enjoyable evening. The evening ended for us with Iranian karaoke. This is an acquired taste - think perhaps 80s bar band, but some might like that, so who is to judge?

The price was very reasonable, at about $40 per person.

After a great meal our group climbed onto the subway and made its way back to the hotel.

I'd be glad to go back, and would recommend Zaffron to others.

Reviewed 11 July 2016

we were 2 families, one 2 adults and one child and 1 adult with a child. we asked for separate bill at start. the menu is confusing so we ask the waiter help. she explained what on each name and options to choose. turned up the options she offer was a extra charge of $4 and what comes with the dish actually did not come !!!! the kids.
the food tasted old and yogurt with Bathenjan was very dry and old .meat had no flavour at all. when the bill arrived they added the 15% gratuity at the end my brother did not notice and paid tip on top. he ended up paying about 30% tip on bad food bad service. the waiter lied about all she told us on the options and said you should read the menu ..well we told we asked you to tell us about the menu she answered that its not her job to read the menu for us. That was very rude!!! when I asked why are you charging me 15% on bad service their answer was because you asked for split bill. I argued about that and said this is illegal you cant charge me extra because I want to pay my own bill the owner said we have to split the order I said well isn't that what you do FOR ALL CUSTOMERS???? this is illegal !!!! he then said ok don't pay it. my child fries that I paid extra 4$ on top of the 10$ plate charge was untouched and the waiter took it away without asking while I was in washroom when I asked her about it she said well it was there for a long time I said there is lots of other foods on the table that you did not pick up why did you choose to take only the fries that I asked you for container to go for it??? ..turned up that they take your leftovers and used it for other customers ...BEWARE AND DONT GO THERE !!!

2  Thank Angie M
Reviewed 9 May 2016

At first my family and I were somewhat reluctant to try this place based on mixed reviews about the food and rude service. Our experience was surprisingly good. We were not disappointed. The flavours of the various dishes we had were distinctive and full flavoured. We loved the eggplant dishes and grilled chicken. Our waiter, who happened to be the only non Persian staff working there, was the most pleasant and helpful man. He greeted us with a lovely warm smile and was very kind. I am looking forward to returning soon.

2  Thank TorontoSpikey
Reviewed 12 April 2016

Arrived,got a nice table by a fireplace. Service was a little slow,hadn't been before.Asked for help with the menu,wasn't sure what to order.Not very helpful,with menu choices.We ordered some apps and a couple of mains.About half hour later we finally got our apps.Then an another 40 mins to get our mains.Others around us were having the same issues.The food was very good,when it showed up.They have singers on Saturday night,a lot of fun

Reviewed 4 February 2016

the energy was high and the food was so-so. Soup was not hot, chicken (in walnut and pomagranate) was dry. Wait staff very nice. I would like to try it again and order other items.

1  Thank Mary Frances S