Trevor Kitchen and Bar
Price range: US$25 - US$101
Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: "Food shines at this modern bistro" Amy Pataki, The Toronto Star "The dishes we tried were at that addictively gorgeous level" James Chatto, Toronto Life "The cooking is careful and the service is expert" Joanne Kates, The Globe and Mail
Reviewed 30 December 2015

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Summerlicious is just not my cup of tea. Restaurants seem to have the complete wrong idea with how to handle Summerlicious customers. But this review, and the poor review, has nothing to do with the Summerlicious-ness of it...read on!

We arrived on time and were seated promptly. My friend and I ordered off the Licious menu, and she asked for the shrimp tempura, the pan-seared whitefish and the strawberry tiramisu. I ordered the chipotle chicken taco, the pork rib chop and the dark chocolate torte. I decided to forgo the drink since I just came from a drinks party earlier.

The app was fine - chicken tacos came on a bed of arugula and had minced, almost pasty chicken stuffed into a tiny shell. Next, AND PLEASE READ, the main.....the pork rib chop. I was delighted with the texture at first - very tender and had a good vein of fat on it. My friend and I hadn't seen each other in a while and were engrossed in our conversation, and it wasn't until I'd finished most of the chop when I looked down and realized that the pork was raw. Not just pink, but with the semi-translucency and jigglyness of raw meat. I stopped immediately and flagged our server over when he was close, and I explained that the pork was raw. He proceeded to explain that this is normal near the bone. Normal for pork to be raw? Is it normal for their customers to get sick to their stomachs too?? I politely disagreed - pork is not like beef, and it shouldn't be raw, EVER. He went on to explain the 4 day brining process it goes through. Fine, but...why is it raw?! He asked if I wanted to replace it with anything, but no...I want to NOT eat raw pork! I said no, but I'd like him to tell the chef that the dish was raw.

So it's not hard to see why I'm not happy with their service at all. The server went off and made no further mention of my dish, nor did he come back with any comments from the chef. I was not impressed. I am the opposite of impressed. I can only hope right now that my infamous iron stomach does not fail me now, and will do its best to combat raw pork.

It makes me wonder - if this was not a Summerlicious meal, would they have better addressed my experience?

Reviewed 4 December 2015

came here for summerlicious in 2014

food was good portioned even for summerlicious

loved the cotton candy that came with the bill

Reviewed 26 October 2015 via mobile

Went to Trevor for my birthday with some friends. We all ordered a variety of items from the appetizer, bar, and sides menus. No kidding - each one was fantastic. And with the smaller plates, we all tried something different - almost tapas style.
I've been to Trevor several times and ranks up there with the best in Toronto.

Reviewed 28 September 2015

I've been here for birthdays and business. Always great food and a nice atmosphere. Book early if you have a large group.

Reviewed 10 September 2015

We ate here on our first night in the city. The service was friendly and it was difficult to choose what to eat as everything looked so good. The tempura was excellent and the steak I eventually chose beautifully cooked. My biggest disappointment was not being able to fit in a pudding. The wine list was full of interesting things and the red we chose was scrumptious. Go. And then go again.