“Authentic Hungarian cuisine”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Walkerville
Reviewed 5 February 2016

This was like visiting Hungary. My wife is Hungarian and is accustomed to authentic, Hungarian home cooking. She said this experience was like going to her grandmothers for Sunday dinner. The food was the best Hungarian cuisine we have eaten anywhere. We go to Hungarian restaurants where ever we travel, none have impressed her as much as this restaurant has. It's more than the food as well, it's a Hungarian experience. They are truly interested in your enjoying your meal, it is a family thing, you do feel welcomed, well fed, and they appreciate your visit. We will go back even tho it's a two hour trip and a border crossing.
By the way, my wife is an excellent cook herself and has been asked for recipes by an upscale restaurant, she refused. Eating here, however, I could see her sit back and settle in at first bite.

Reviewed 30 January 2016

6 of us went for dinner last night, have been going to this restaurant for over 40 years and it hasn't changed inside one bit. We were surprised to see how quiet Ottawa street was, there wasn't very many people walking around and looks like many places closed up, it was sad to say the least.
The menu has been added to over the years but still maintained all the great dinners I remember. Everyone loved their vegetable soup, which also had lots of cauliflower in it. 4 of us had veal dinners and they were delicious, one of us had cabbage rolls and they were a little disappointed as the sauce was a gravy rather than a tomato based. (She still ate it all though and said it had lots of flavour). Thank you for the great service and we will be back!

Reviewed 24 January 2016

This was not European food nor European atmosphere, it was Hungarian! And because they cook special food, very tasty, it makes them different than any other European country.

Place is very cozy, the owners very friendly. At some point I believed I am visiting some Hungarian friends, which they try their best to make me feel a fantastic gourmet experience.

The Goulash soup.., we went for “Goulash in a kettle” (soup for two). You cannot go wrong with this choice.
The soup is a kind of beef stew with … I better let you find the surprises.
BTW we started in a traditional way with a digestive up front, made-up from plums.

After soup I went for the Hungarian Sausages, my wife for chicken paprikas. I couldn’t resist tasting her plate, and in return I saw a half sausage taking-off from my plate and landing into her dish… I had to fight the reaction to move to another table to make sure I can eat the rest of my stuff…
A Hungarian red wine (no, I lie, it was black, tastes like a Merlot) blended perfect with the food.

Now, the desert… my wife is not into the sweets… so she wanted to refuse in the first place, but I took charge and I ordered Palachintas (home made crepes), and Apple Strudel.
I was almost sure that I will end eating pretty much everything…
Big, mistake!
She tasted my crepes, and then she concentrated over the strudel, which I couldn’t touch! I was amazed that somebody that don’t eat sweets, could finish that hot beautiful looking, apple strudel.
My revenge was the coffee, and if you like Turkish coffee, you know what I mean. If you didn’t taste the Turkish coffee so far, do not leave this life without trying it. And one perfect place to do it, is, after a nice traditional meal with recipes coming from an ancient culture, this place.
Excellent experience.
Bravo Zora and Sam

1  Thank tsunnami
Reviewed 2 December 2015

We really enjoyed our dinner this evening. They greet you with warm bread and butter. They had homemade chicken noodle soup with small dumplings in the soup. We had the Veal Budapest and Chicken Budapest. The filets are lightly fried and very well prepared. We had a lovely apple strudel and crepes for dessert. The server was very friendly and very welcoming.

Reviewed 6 November 2015

This was my first visit to a Hungarian cuisine restaurant but it will not be my last. The food was delicious, had cabbage rolls (with great gravy) and perogies. Home made and fabulous. They have quite an extensive menu, something for everyone. Apple schnitzel, warm with ice cream, finished the meal with a flair. Generous portions and quite reasonably priced.The service could not have been better. Our waitress was a delight and kept us quite entertained. Overall, a great place to eat.