“Old Fashioned Charm”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Walkerville
Reviewed 14 June 2016

We went for an early Saturday night dinner and were dismayed by how few people were in the restaurant. The facility is very small and has a sort of musty old world charm. You can tell that the place has been in business for many years ... in this case 35, I think. The service was charming, very informal and fun, and the food was very good. We enjoyed a lively conversation with a Canadien couple at a neighboring table. All in all, very enjoyable.

Reviewed 20 April 2016

...Our fault, it has been years since we have been to Blue Danube...Started with vegetable soup-delicious.. a little creamy version, with NOT overcooked pieces of vegetable. Transylvanian Platter for 2...2 fresh & hot pcs schnitzel, sausages, pork chops, bacon, dumplings, coleslaw & pickles..with bread and butter..apple strudel (hot), and palachinkas (homemade ultra thin jam pancakes) & milk...Have spent as much $$ at "2-4-1 Wing NIghts..fun, but NO comparison..will be back!! Hvala Zora!

1  Thank TobyRudy
Reviewed 14 April 2016

I've walked by Blue Danube more times than I can count without stopping in, so I decided finally it was time to give them a try.

First of all, when you look around inside you can tell that it has a long history in the city. The decor is interesting, and you can just imagine the big parties and groups that have been here throughout the years.

When we walked in, we were the only people in the place.. a little unnerving at first. However they made us feel very welcome, and were very friendly and attentive. We had a mix of pierogi's, cabbage rolls, and goulash. They were all excellent, and some of the best I've found in the city. It reminded me of a home cooked meal my grandma would prepare.

Overall, I'm happy that I finally decided to stop in, and I'm excited to go back and try something new!

1  Thank chab009
Reviewed 7 April 2016 via mobile

Tried this restaurant back in January.
I was in town visiting friends and the told me about this place.
Having tried many Hungarian restaurants in Toronto and even in Hungary, I would say it is just ok.
The schnitzel at $22 is priced too high for what you get.
The goulash soup was not even close!
Compared to Bar Europa or Country Style in Toronto you pay about $18 and get three times the size of schnitzel!
Quality wise day and night. Country style has been consistently voted best in Toronto.
The owner was super nice so I would give the service a great rating but just doesn't compare to the ones in Toronto. Sorry!

Reviewed 31 March 2016 via mobile

No wonder why they have been a Windsor landmark for over 40 years - Excellent, authentic Hungarian food with more American choices for the less adventurous. Our sampling - Goulash soup with very tender beef, slightly smoked sausage, al dente dumplings, cabbage rolls like Grandma, vegetarian pasta with incredibly fresh vegetables. Black Forest Torte and palachintas were to die for! Lovely old world owners Sam and Zora treated us like family. Well worth the short drive from the Detroit/Windsor tunnel.