All reviewsshared bathroomstudio apartmentbudget hotelold montrealdouble bedsaint laurentflights of stairsdowntown montreallocation is greatcentral locationmetro stationreception deskyogurtcontinental breakfastsexfestivalkitchenette
Reviewed 2 December 2017 via mobile

This hotel is a good óption for tourist it has an excellent location near the Art Museum and the underground mall acces. Near the Metro station. Some rooms have Kitchen and al have wifi free. We recomend and the prices are good for the services

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Ho H, Responsable des relations clients at Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2017

Thank you very much for your kind review, we are really glad that you've enjoyed your most recent stay with us as we work really hard to please all of our guests. We do hope that we will have the chance of welcoming you again on your next stay inside our beautiful city. Please receive our best regards and warm wishes in this holiday season.

Reviewed 23 November 2017 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for 3 days- late Nov 2017. Below is a summary of my time,
Cons:
- There is a construction right in front of the building, they started drilling at 6:52 in the morning so be aware of the noise
- There are stairs to go to lobby, no elevators. In case you have luggages
- The building is old, it smells.
- The music from the stores below was loud, I don’t mind listening to music but not the repetitive guitar base and not at 10:00 pm.
- The hotel is above a sex shop, I didn’t care, but just saying, if you do.
- Wifi is horrible
- Pros:
- The location is great. Close to shopping malls. It’s about 20 minuets walk to old Montreal. There are many different Restaurants close by.
- Jasmin, one of the front desk ladies was very helpful, polite and friendly, versus the other lady, Sophia with the attitude
- The breakfast is good, it’s not something fancy but good enough to start the morning.
In general, it’s a okay hotel for the price you pay But I don’t think that I go back again, and the reason is the non pleasant smell in the building.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank RoseTheTourist
Ho H, Front Office Manager at Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2017

We are sorry to read about your most recent stay with us. Allow us to explain that we are located inside an historical building and the city of Montreal does not allow us to build any elevator. We are sincerely sorry for any trouble that this may have caused you. Please also know that we will be sharing your recommendations and comment with our person in charge as we always want to improve our services.
Thank you again for taking the time in sharing your review with us.
Please receive our best regards

Reviewed 14 November 2017

I am a bit conflicted about this hotel. On the one hand the location is excellent, being just at St. Laurent and St. Catherines which is super central. The staff I encountered was also very nice.

The main current negative is that there is construction across the way that can get pretty loud right now. Normally, construction wouldn't be a terrible thing, but for some reason the hours they work are really broad. Like they start up at 6:00 am which is crazy. However, if you're going to stay at that intersection, it's perfectly natural to expect a lot of noise in general. One of the trade-offs for it being centrally located.

I also wasn't wild about the room, the bathroom specifically. The bathroom as a whole and the shower in particular were so small that I felt that I couldn't comfortably move around without bumping into a wall.

Overall, for the price one could probably do better but my stay was generally fine.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank TorontoJose
Ho H, Front Office Manager at Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2017

We are sorry to read about your most recent stay with us. Please know that we will be sharing your suggestions with our person in charge as we always want to improve our services. Thank you again for sharing your review with us. Best regards

Reviewed 27 October 2017

Shared bathrooms, stained bed covers and old curtains for the rooms on the top floor but the place is very clean otherwise. A warm atmosphere, like a family house you want to stay at, once in a while. And located in a nice, convenient area.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Ho H, Responsable des relations publiques at Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2017

Thank you for taking the time in writing us your review. I am sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction during your last stay with us. Please know that we have other category of rooms beside the ones inside which you've stayed. Indeed we have our Superior rooms with private bathrooms and our Studios with private bathrooms and fully equipped kitchenette. These rooms would have been better suited to your taste I believe. If you ever have any questions about these, please do not hesitate to let us know. Our reception desk is open 24/7 and we are available anytime to answer to our guests. Best regards!

Reviewed 26 October 2017

Location: Great. Within walking distance to Chinatown and the waterfront
Reception: Miserable. We had booked this room since it was pouring and we had a few hours before heading back on Sunday evening. We arrived a few hours earlier and requested for an early check-in if the room was available. The lady at the desk was extremely rude and refused, even without bothering to look at our booking details. My wife and I ended up sitting in the reception for a good 3+ hours. We were checked in only after I went up to her desk again - a good 30 mins after 3 pm (which is their check-in time) - and she told us that our room was ready. She did not bother to call us even though we were a few feet away.
Room: Unclean. We were checked in to a room on the 2nd level with a shared bathroom. The room had 2 beds - one of which had bedbugs crawling in the sheets. My wife saw them and we chose to sleep on the other bed (after inspecting it carefully) and we were not comfortable at all. The other aspects of the room were fine and the bathroom was clean.

I would not stay at this hotel again and would not recommend it unless you have no other options.

Room Tip: There are no elevators and lots of stairs. Would choose a room on the reception level if you have luggage.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

We are sincerely sorry to hear about your most recent stay at our hotel. We are sad indeed to read about your experience as it is not our way of proceeding. Yes, our check-in time is at 15h00 but if the room is available before hand we pressed ourselves on giving it to our guests. Some exceptions can happen for example if our head of the maids decides that no customer can go inside the new rooms before her final approval. This situation can indeed be troublesome for some of guests such as yourself who are in need as soon as possible of their room. Please know that we do it in a way to assure ourselves of a perfect cleanliness of our rooms and for that very reason; we are really surprised that such an event happened inside your bed. We would like to confirm you that we are taking this very seriously and have already taken all the necessary measures to solve the issue immediately.
Again we would like to offer our sincerest apologies for what happened. Rest assured that we have shared your comment with our different departments and have already taken care of the situation. Cordially yours,