“The best sticky toffee pudding for sure...”

Taverne Square Dominion
Reserve with OpenTable
Taverne Square Dominion is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #59 of 5,854 Restaurants in Montreal
Price range: US$0 - US$28
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Cross street: Ste-Catherine
Transit: Peel Metro Station
Description: RESERVATIONS ARE FOR MEALS ONLY. PLEASE NOTE, 18 YEARS AND OVER. WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE OR CANCEL RESERVATIONS THAT DON'T CONFORM OUR GUIDELINES. Featuring a plethora of interesting 1920s-inspired design details, the Dominion Square Tavern is a cut above your average downtown eatery. Enjoy simple classic fare such as mussels and fries or a pulled pork sandwich in a warm, inviting atmosphere. Top it off with a sinful serving of sticky toffee pudding. Newly reopened, the tavern is already a huge hit with the downtown professional crowd. A full bar, cocktails, wine and beers awaits.
Reviewed 28 May 2016 via mobile

We're only in Montreal for a short 8 day trip but we made sure to reserve at table here months in advance after hearing so many rave reviews.

To my delight we were certainly not let down. Firstly the atmosphere and decor are very old school down to the details...a classic phone on the bar.

The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful consistently checking in our table to see if all was well.

Now to the food, simply divine.
It's not fine dining fancy fluffy mini dishes but rather rich flavors and great serving sizes.

We started with a deviled egg & the fish croquettes- I would recommend them for sure.

As mains I had the braised beef which so succulent and the meat just fell apart. The accompanying sauce and mash were rich and scrumptious. My husband had the mussels which were so tasty and fresh.

Now on to the highlight and delight... the sticky toffee pudding. This is what lead me to taverne after reading great reviews of their sticky toffee. I will say that their take on sticky toffee is now sitting on my top 3 all time. Sticky toffee is my favorite dessert and this was spectacular. Rick, fluffy, both heavy and light at the same time. It was so good that I'm contemplating one more stop before we head home.

It's such a shame that it was a bit too dark inside to capture the food.

Taverne is a great place for both couples & friends... it's for anyone who wants a laid back atmosphere and some seriously good food.

There are newer reviews for Taverne Square Dominion

Reviewed 20 May 2016 via mobile

Same owners as the Balsam Inn and the quality of food is great! More tavern fare but still made from scratch. The bangers and mash are excellent. Lively bar area with good whiskey selections if you're into that.

Reviewed 14 May 2016

We went to Taverne Square Dominion for lunch. Service was excellent and food delicious.
Decor is like an old time tavern. Many small tables and a huge sit down bar stretches the whole length of the Tavern
Reservations are strongly recommended!

1  Thank elica3
Reviewed 10 May 2016

Montreal is where my wife and I usually go to get a "city fix." Most of our dining experiences have been to upscale restaurants, but we are no strangers to pubs and bistros even in this great city. What a find this place was!

I actually did some research on Tripadvisor concerning some restaurants in the downtown are that we have not tried. This one popped up, and the reviews, photos and menu prompted me to ask the concierge at our hotel about it. Her eyes got wide and explained some of the history of this place. Wow! Lots I did not know! In a way I was pretty bummed out because it has been around so long and after nearly 3 decades and many trips to Montreal it took me so long to find it.

So we made a reservation for an early Saturday dinner. The first thing that hits you when you walk in is the décor. Pretty much early 20th century with lots of wood, old fashioned stools at the very huge bar. Background music was mostly pre 50's, but a little rock and roll now and then. There is also a ladder on a track that I assume they use to reach some liquor bottles that are high up the wall. Wow! I thought they only had them in old libraries to retrieve books on the high racks! So far, so good!

We were seated, and our server promptly took our drink order. I engaged him in a little conversation about this place. Well, he did not expound on it as much as the concierge, but he said it has only been a restaurant the past 5 years. I felt better.

My wife started with the Whitefish Croquettes, and my appetizer was the Salmon Gravlax. They were both very good, but my wife told me I had the winner. The main course was the Cornish Hen for 2. Holy Toledo! I didn't think Cornish hens grew that big! This was like a small chicken stuffed with goat cheese, surrounded by a huge amount of roasted vegetables, and it was served on a large cast iron skillet! It was great! We did not leave hungry.

I think next trip I would try the corn fritters as a starter, and save room for the Sticky Toffee Pudding that fellow Tripadvisors rave about. Be advised that the Cornish Hens take 45 minutes to prepare which means they did not just pop out of a microwave! No problem for us! Our server was attentive, and the decorum is unique. All in all a great experience.

If you look at their menu on line they also list a few other restaurants on it including the Balsam Inn right next door. Our server also gave us one of their business cards when he brought us our bill, so I think they are tied in together. Their menu looks good as well, and might deserve a stop next time.

Reviewed 10 May 2016

We asked the concierge at our hotel(Sofitel) for a recommendation of this type near our hotel and he suggested Dominion. A short walk from the hotel, we felt like we were in France when we entered the lively bistro located in an historic building. Great food, wine and ambiance. Perfect Sunday night dinner.

1  Thank 352Susieb