“Old World Luxe”
Review of Hotel Le St-James

Hotel Le St-James
Ranked #40 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 21 August 2014

My partner and I decided on the St. James because of it's 5-star rating and location in the old section of Montreal. I was extremely pleased with the service from the time I made the reservation using Tablet to the time of check out. We have a few friends in Montreal who recommended a couple of top restaurants for dinner - the concierge was able to secure reservations with an excellent table at both locations and was excellent with emailing me in advance. We also took advantage of a couples massage in the spa - a very private and sexy facility. The massages were 'good' while the spa experience itself was incredibly relaxing. You can even book a private steam room at no extra cost after your massage. When we arrived Laurianne at the front desk was superb, granting us an unexpected early check-in (makes all the difference) - they were 'yes' people. I like 'yes' people. The room was a junior suite and was extremely comfortable. We are into bedding so there was no disappointment there. When we drew the curtains, it was completely dark and silent and perfectly comfortable. We actually slept 10 hours the first night - a rare occasion for New Yorkers. Be sure to have dinner down the road at Chasse et Peche (romantic atmosphere and incredible food). Everything was perfect with the hotel as far as old world luxury goes, the only improvement is that there are no views. That being said, I would stay again and recommend it to a friend.

Room Tip: While extremely comfortable, quiet and luxurious, the rooms are not large, so upgrade if you prefer...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Le St-James

Reviewed 20 August 2014

We have stayed in several hotels in Montreal and we enjoyed Le St-James above all others. We were fortunate to be upgraded to a corner suite, which was beautifully appointed with traditional French toile. Because it was a corner room it was light and airy. The bathroom was spacious, well-appointed, and stocked with Molton Brown accessories, including a complimentary air freshener that my wife loved. From the moment we stepped into the hotel this was a great stay. The doorman was friendly and helpful. The front desk clerk not only checked us in, but showed us to and around our room. We did not dine here because the restaurant is closed Monday evenings, but we did look in. It would be a vast understatement to call the dining room merely opulent. One can easily imagine the Maître' d lighting J.P. Morgan's cigar. If you aren't staying here stop by for tea or a drink just to bask in this former bank's glory. Le St-James is well-located, within easy walking distance of Old Town, the business district, shopping, good restaurants (ask the concierge), and many other sites. My one disappointment - there was a scale in the room I tried it and it worked. Don't ever do that on the last day of vacation! We will definitely stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FLAMTRS
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We had two executive suites next door to each other. The hotel is older and the interior of the rooms are decorated in a traditional style. Rooms are dark as the windows are small, it was a bank in a prior life. Bathrooms are nice and the staff is friendly. This is not a five star hotel as the amenities are not available such as a pool and a large workout room. As the hotel is older, traffic and city noise can be heard easily. The location is great for seeing Old Montreal. We never ate dinner in the hotel but we ate breakfast which was well prepared and the servers were great. The dinner menu was very limited - I know I must be a dud but I am not in pursuit of eating rabbit. Concierge was very helpful and nice.

Room Tip: We had "Executive Suites" which made our rooms larger - but given that they are just well...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I travelled to Montreal for a friend's milestone Birthday in May. I chose Hotel Le St. James for a few reasons, but mostly to treat myself for a night of luxury. Based on most of the reviews I had read on Trip Advisor regarding luxury accommodations in Montreal, this was the place to stay.
I wasn't disappointed in the least.
Upon arrival I was greeted by professional staff, very confident in their positions which made me feel very much at ease. I was quite early for check in but this was not an issue at all, in fact I was upgraded and taken to my room by a very confident young woman who helped me plan out the few hours I had before I was to join my friend. I wanted to do some shopping, and every question I had regarding the area was answered. Efficient, knowledgable, and friendly... she was lovely. Wish I had noted her name.
The room was very elegant and extremely well appointed, the bathroom was large and finished in gorgeous soft grey marble. Molton Brown accessories, which I love.
The atmosphere was extremely relaxing throughout the room, and very fitting for Old Montreal.
What impressed me the most was in the evening when I was leaving the hotel to get a taxi over to my friend's....I felt so safe and so secure w the two young gentlemen who assisted me in acquiring this taxi. Upon my return, once again, treated w such care and concern....the taxi door was opened and I was ushered back into St.James like Royality.
That evening I filled out the breakfast menu, hung it on my door, and the next morning a basket of the most insanely gorgeous and rich chocolate croissants complete w a large, silver, carafe of coffee was promptly delivered....heaven.
I would say that if you want to know how "the other half" lives, if you enjoy and appreciate old world sophistication, and you could absolutely be treated like Royality then treat yourself, stay at Le St.James. I know I will be back.
Thank you to all the staff for making my stay truly memorable.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Very disappointed in this hotel.As a frequent traveler I have stayed in many gorgeous hotels and as a architectural edifice the St James is worth the trip to Montreal on it's own.The problem lies within the hotel walls(literally) as I made my way to the restaurant I noticed something in the corner of my eye but dismissed it,later on I made my way to the "library" sat down and was shocked at the site of a mouse running from one end of the room to the other,I informed a member of the staff and I was told this problem has been going on for a couple of weeks.I never review hotels or restaurants,but at this price point !!!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business