“Greatly exceeded my expecations”

Hotel Place d'Armes
Ranked #8 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Rooms are huge and very comfortably appointed. Small fireplace was completely unexpected but very nice to warm the room each evening. From facilities to toiletries, the bathroom was excellent (rainforest shower, plenty of space, immediate and copious hot water).

Definitely consider bringing the family here on my next trip.

Room Tip: I stayed in the west side of Building 2--very nice rooms that don't front the street.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Chris O

Reviewed 26 February 2012

This time stayed in a junior suite with a balcony on the top floor with terrific views of downtown Montreal! Again, the staff and service was excellent! Can't wait to go back in the summer and will defiintely book a similar room with a balcony so as to enjoy the beautiful sunshine and views!

Room Tip: Book a suite with a balcony!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BanditAngel
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Not as great as expected. I had the executive suite....1707. It was two levels and had a super small living room. I'm glad we didn't have friends join us for drinks....there would have been no where for them to sit! Not what the photos show at all! Secondly..... I ordered champagne and cheese for my husbands birthday....even confirmed it when we checkedin....it never arrived...lastly...the bathroom was dirty...cob webs on the floor where the toilet is housed. All in all not the "best in class" service I was expecting. I will choose another place when I return. If you decide to stay make sure they don't do the bait and switch with the rooms......

Room Tip: Not 1707.......
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PetieNYC
MathieuLarochelle, General Manager at Hotel Place d'Armes, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

Dear Guest,

We thank you for your review. We appreciate all reviews regarding our service and establishment as these help us in improving our standards. The stay that you have experienced with us does not at all reflect our standards, and we will make sure that this is corrected and improved immediately. We truly hope that you will be able to stay with us again, and hope that we will be able to demonstrate are hotel and staff’s qualities.

Mathieu

Reviewed 25 February 2012

My fiancé and I met at this hotel coming from 2 different directions last June. We needed to take a trip out of the country to satisfy his visa waiver requirements. I got stuck in Chicago in a tornado, and he had trouble at the border and was told by the Canadian customs he'd likely get turned back when he tried to come into the US. When we finally met up, the US border patrol informed us that Canada doesn't count as leaving the country any more, so we had to regroup instantly, stay another night, then he had to fly to the UK from Montreal (don't even get me started on the cost and inconvenience of this-thanks uncle sam).

The staff in the hotel were absolutely fantastic. They upgraded us to a suite, which was probably the nicest room we've ever stayed in. We had so many logistics and complications, and they were with us every step of the way. I have actually called up since and asked if I could buy the shampoo and conditioner because I've never found anything as good in 25 years of business travel. The first floor and lower level restaurants were both delicious. I cannot say enough about how great it was.

If we are ever able to stomach going out of the country again by car, we will head straight to Le Place d'Armes.

Room Tip: both rooms we were in were delightful.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TravelingWajs
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Located in the old town steps from Notre Dame, this hotel has a cool blend of luxe and laid back. Brick walls and big windows mix well with modern fixtures and chic furnishings. The staff is friendly but a bit low key. I'd give it 5 stars if the service and amenities were a bit more polished. The doorman was M.I.A. almost every time we entered or left, and the front staff just watched as we struggled to open the doors while managing our luggage. Also to our dismay, the internet service is spotty and inconsistent in the rooms. On the other hand, the housekeeping staff is pleasant and the rooms quite comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family