“A buget hotel stuck in the 1990s”

Auberge Manoir Ville-Marie
Ranked #62 of 145 Montreal B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

A not very pleasant experience to say the least. The hotel is basically a budget hotel with a decor of the 1990s and not a boutique hotel. The bathroom door did not close, the curtain rail was broken, the TV did not work. The furniture is tatty at best and the hygiene is left to be desired- there were cobwebs above the toaster and my drinking glass was chipped. Guests are asked to dispose of their plates and scrape their food into a container after finishing breakfast.
On the plus side, the owners are very welcoming and friendly. It is basically an overpriced backpacker guesthouse, but I was left to wonder what it takes to water the plants on the window sill to make the place more welcoming.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 July 2017

Beware!! I booked through booking.com, and cancelled my reservation two days before my arrival for medical reasons, but the hotel refused to give me a refund. (I even offered a doctor's note). I then called booking.com who then reached out on my behalf to obtain a refund and I received an email that stated the reservation was cancelled at no cost to me. Later the cost showed up on my VISA. I phoned the hotel, but they refused to acknowledge the booking.com request and still went ahead to charge my VISA. They stated that it was non-refundable, and that I will know how it works next time. Very unforgiving. I am very disappointed and will never book to stay there - the administration were very rigid and not helpful. Apparently the reservation was 10% off so therefore no refund is offered on a cancellation. Hotels should understand that situations occur in people's lives and booking changes need to be made. No compassion or caring shown by them.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2017 via mobile

Heating system does not heat, water is not hot enough, breakfast is over before the time is over. The staff is good, give you some attention, but it is not well managed. The lot was full everyday and I had to park in the street. Definitely, never ever.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 February 2017 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay at Auberge Manoir Ville Marie! It was our first time visiting Montréal and the owner, Shahrzad, was do welcoming and helpful. The bed in the jacuzzi suite was very comfortable and the jacuzzi was perfect. The hotel has a very old fashioned feel to it, and isn't like a large chain. If you want a large chain hotel, don't stay here because Manoir Ville Marie is small, unique, and very charming. I was made to feel right at home upon check-in. The furnishings are a tad outdated, but I think that's what helps give the hotel it's charming feel. Mattress and box spring both had protectors on them and there were no bugs (I checked. I work in housekeeping so it's something I know to do). The room was very clean. The bathroom was a little chilly but we found leaving the door open helped keep it warm. I couldn't figure out how to turn the baseboard heaters on, but the thermostat and wall heater by the jacuzzi were more than enough to keep the room warm. Continental breakfast is served from 8-10 and they have coffee, tea, orange juice, and water, as well as bagels, bread/toast, cereal, croissants, etc. WiFi worked fine from our room, with only minor disconnect issues (expected for any shared wifi). Close to La Ronde, and about 10-15 minute drive from the cities main attractions in either direction. Bus stop right out front that connects to the Metro so anyone travelling without a car can get around easily. Had I known how crazy Montréal traffic was, I probably would have taken the Metro, but the only main issue was parking downtown. Plenty of parking at the hotel, and in regards to other reviews saying the neighbourhood is sketchy, it's no more sketchy than anywhere else in the city and I felt safer here than I did downtown. Anyone who leaves negative reviews because they didn't like the location should take responsibility for themselves, because they're the ones who booked without seeing where the hotel was located. We thought the location was PRIME! Who would want to stay in busy downtown?? This hotel definitely offered the most bang for our buck, and we will definitely be back! We loved our stay!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jess P
Reviewed 10 December 2016 via mobile

We stay here for 2 nites until 9 Dec.
The owners are beautiful people. We love their hospitality. Our bed is on the top floor. Small but clean and bathroom is new. We can see the snow from up there and beautiful feeling.
Breakfast is downstairs coffee toast juice and cereal muffin and croissant and begel. Microwave are available to use in the kitchen. We will come back again when we in montreal.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple