“Worth a repeat visit”

Cuisines: European, Indian
Neighbourhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Neighbourhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Reviewed 29 October 2015

Close to main hotels in Centreville part of town, so convenient. Visited there first evening in town with a friend and enjoyed quiet meal and drink with hockey game. It was not as loud as regular pub but still offered good food, beer and game. Beer choices fair and fish plate tasty. Bar tender was pleasant, engaging and interested.
Hours not easy to discern, as stopped by a few times later and it was closed.

Date of visit: October 2015

Reviewed 11 July 2015 via mobile

On a Friday night I was a lady dining alone and early (6pm) and didn't want to venture out too far from my hotel, that's how I came upon this restaurant.
I was warmly greeted right away, there were other patrons already and I was shown to the best table, not pushed to a corner like solo diners usually are.
The bartender recommended a delicious local brew and I was very hungry so I ordered a "Prince Noir", filet mignon with grilled shrimp, sweet potato fries and veggies.
As soon as the plate was put down in front of me I knew it wouldn't be great but I was soooo hungry. It was evident that it was not a filet mignon (it look more like top sirloin). I ordered medium and it was between medium well and well done. The three shrimp were over grilled and the side brown sauce had absolutely no flavor.
You may be asking why did I give it a four and not less, well, it is because my experience as a whole was a pleasant one. I looked at what other people ordered and everything else looked appetizing. The lovely waitress did come and asked how everything was and I didn't have the heart to tell her the truth, she was so pleasant and I did eat absolutely everything on my plate, so it was edible, just not great.
Personally I see dining out as an experience and as I whole I was pleased.

Date of visit: July 2015
Reviewed 10 July 2015 via mobile

This rather long restaurant with about 25 tables on the first floor plays loud trendy music. It has half the front of the estaurant which opens up on the street on warm days.
It is mid range pricing with decent food. The service is hurried. They made three mistakes on the four platrs we ordered but corrected the mistake promptly and courteously when pointed out.
It is wheelchair friendly and fairly adapted to children, not really for them if you look at it closely.
I would eat here again but woild not go out of my way for it.

Date of visit: July 2015
Reviewed 12 May 2015

Had the seafood casserole which was excellent. Attentive staff and more reasonable prices than many places around. We had a group of seven from the US, Canada, New Zealand, Sweden, and Scotland and everyone found somethings that they really liked. No rush and we could sit and talk.

Date of visit: May 2015
Reviewed 10 May 2015

I visited cafe Republique as part of a regular after work visit to grab be a nice bite. I can qualify the place a s cosy, trendy and proving a nice food experience. Here's how my experience went:

1- Location
It is located on Peel street right at the heart of Montreal's downtown area. It Is highly and easily accessible by all means of transportation leading to its area. If you are coming by metro, your best option would be to disembark on peel station right on the green line and continue down south past St-Catherine street on foot (it is nearly a 3 minutes walk if not even less).
Getting to the restaurant on foot is even a better option as you can get there from all four corners of the downtown area either through St-Catherine street or Sherbrooke boulevard or Rene Levesque boulevard or Maisonneuve boulevard. The place is strategically situated at very close proximity of all shopping centres of downtown. The eaton center is a couple of minutes away on foot while "La Baie" is just 5 to 7 minutes away. So cafe Republique can be your ultimate pit stop after a long shopping day or the opposite.
The place is also accessible by car with the Vinci underground car park located just in front of the place or other car parks in the surrounding area. Bear in mind that any if those car parks will charge you no less than $25 to $30 for parking, so while getting here by car seems the most convenient, it is definitely the most expensive.
It is also worth mentioning that the place is very close to the Bell Center, so you can definitely drop by after a hockey game or a concert if you are in the mood for a nice bite and a good place to rest

2- The place itself
It is a nice cosy place decorated mainly with wooden art. So the place tends to be dark brown in colour which provides a really good feeling of cosiness on those cold winter days when snow is covering most of Montreal's streets. I did not notice a outdoor seating area on my last visit as it was still winter but judging by the surrounding area, the place probably instals an outdoor deck on the side walk accommodating few tables. Don't expect much of those though, this part of downtown is an artery and tends to be very noisy during regular hours and even noisier in evening due to the next door pubs. The indoor seating area is quite big and is distributed on two floors. Both provide a large number of tables some of them with only chairs and some other with a mix of benches and chairs. Tables are quite spaced from one another on the upper floor providing a really nice privacy, but tables tend to be closer to one another on the lower floor which might be more suitable to an after work colleague gathering or a friends meet up rather than a date.

3- Menu and service
It is a very rich and varied menu presenting fusion meals based on french cuisine and holding genuine quebec meals like the poutine or the tartare. Food is rich in flavours and prepared in a simple and beautiful presentation that makes you hungry for more. Entrees, main dishes, side orders are all very varied and present you with variety on all menu sections.
The service is quite noticeable at the Cafe Republique as courteousness is definitely a common behaviour exhibited by all employees who serve you.

I recommend Cafe Republique for all occasions while you are visiting Montreal or if you are a resident pf the city wishing to have a decent meal at fairly acceptable prices

***Please like this review if you find it helpful***

Date of visit: March 2015