See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 March 2018

I Have stayed in this Hotel a few times since I go to Montreal Regularly and this its a nice inexpensive place right across the street from the Metro and next door to a Grocery store.

However, I booked a room in March of 2018 through Booking.com and paid for it via PayPal. Once I got there, the hotel clerk told me that my room had NOT been paid for via Booking.com and that Booking.com only reserves rooms, you cannot pay for them that way. I argued with him for a few moments but was tired and finally just gave him my credit card.

Here it is three weeks later and sure enough I had paid for it via PayPal and was also charged on my credit card. I basically paid or the same room two times. I have contacted the Hotel, Booking.com and PayPal concerning this. If they realize there mistake I will remove this bad review.

The old man at the front desk had a bitter attitude and did not want to hear that I paid via the Internet. Frankly he was a bit rude. So, as a result, I believed him and wound up paying $485 for a room that was supposed to cost me $212 for three nights.

My advice is to NOT listen to the Hotel Clerk if you have already paid and to show them the paperwork the minute you check in.

Room Tip: Do NOT listen to the bald clerk who works nights. He will make you pay for the room twice.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Cliff Z
Reviewed 25 June 2017 via mobile

Hookers in the stair wells, smells like cigarettes, empty bottles everywhere..... They charge by the hour... Guy running the front desk would not let us cancel, charged my card 50%.
Literally the worst place I've ever seen.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2017

I stayed here for a total of 4 nights during the 2017 Grand Prix weekend in June. It costs CAD $ 142 per night(inclusive of tax) during this period. The other hotels in Montreal were doing more than tripple their usual rate during this sacred period.

Our first impression when we got to the hotel was, "OMG, what did we book ?!". The carpet on the 2 flight of steps was badly peeling and smelt bad. There is no lift(so bear that in mind).

The staff were friendly and helpful(except for Billy - who told me to leave the hotel). On check in, a helpful elderly gentleman helped me carry our heavy suitcases the two flight of steps to the first floor which he did our check in.
Another helpful gentlemen recommended places we MUST go and see which we did upon his recommendation.

The lady boss was friendly, helpful and always smiling. She helped me sort my room stay as I had done two separate bookings for my 4 nights stay. She also waived the $100 deposit that we had to place for TV remote control which they pass to you upon check in. On my check out day, I asked her if I could leave my bags with the hotel and collect it at midnight and she said, "sure, no problem, you can do that". Which I did, but I think the staff didnt know that they could do that, or he was new, or it was just an exception for me(if so, I appreciate it). I asked her for late check out and she said I could take an hour or so longer, which I appreciated.

The rooms - no doubt was "old" - but it was very clean and tidy which is most important - though the room was not big. Very comfortable queen size bed. Comes with a bar-fridge which was good as there is a Metro Plus supermarket nearby. The bathroom/bathtub was very clean with clean linen. Bathroom door has warped - so it cannot be closed completely. For both rooms - 32 and 33. Aircon is my room 33 went off 4 times after the 2nd night stay which has to be reset from the basement by the staff.

Location: Papineau Metro station is just outside the hotel. MacDonald's and bars and restaurants 2 minutes walk away.

Taboo Bar is located on the ground floor of the hotel which explain the thumping sounds.

Breakfast area: Hmmmmm. White bread and crossant. Corn flakes and cheerios. Banana. Milk. Two types of juice. And bread spreads. On styrofoam plates and cups and plastic cutlery. Tea pot. But missing coffee pot. 3 tables - mine was shaky. Holes in the black table cloth. Dirty carpet. Leaves(or was it flowers)from the day before on the carpet. Like the rest of the hotel(not including the bedrooms) - its messy, wires dangling, doors broken, dark corridors etc.

I went back to the hotel at midnight to collect my heavy suitcase and 2 heavy carry-ons for my journey to the airport. I took one item at the time down the two flight of steps, leaving it by the front door on the road level. Then went back up(for the wifi) to speak to my sister on my mobile phone to arrange for an Uber driver to pick me up immediately. As I was doing that, Billy said I could not wait there, and I was to leave! I told him where did he want me to go and he said either to my room(which he knew I had none as I had already checked out!) or leave the hotel and make my call elsewhere as he was "busy". There was noone there except Billy. He knew my bags were down, and I was trying to get my sister to arrange a Uber pick up for me but yet he was adamant that I leave the hotel immediately since I no longer was a hotel guest! I told him that I had stayed there for 4 nights and that made me a guest of the hotel. He insisted that I leave the hotel as he was "busy". I told him that his lady boss gave me top-notch service and respect but his treatment to me was hurtful knowing that I was already leaving. My sister managed get the Uber booking for me and she heard the quarrel between me and Billy and was shocked as she has stayed with me for 3 nights there. I left immediately with a sour taste in my mouth of this so-called Hotel. FYI, there is no lobby, just a small "waiting area" of a armchair outside a glass window room - like in a doctor's dispensary. They even have a dining room with a dining table and chairs but I think thats reserved for when the Queen visits.

In summary, if you are a male and travelling alone and room rate is dirty cheap then okay stay here. But if you have a female companion, do not bring her here. You have been warned.

Room Tip: If you are travelling with a female, then book elsewhere. If you are male and alone and the rooms rates are dirty cheap, then perhaps.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2017 via mobile

Smells like cigarettes when you walk in, and the neighbourhood is sketchy. The photos they show online are very deceiving. We left Montreal a night early because the room we were in was depressing us.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Juli W
Reviewed 27 August 2016

The first thing you'll notice is the smell of cigarettes inside your room, reason why they spray it a lot. Internet does not work in the rooms (neither computer nor phone, signal is not strong enough upstairs), bathroom was running water down the toilette all night long -- big time plumbing issues. I do not consider myself to be a person of very high standards when it comes to hotels but quite frankly after visiting 15 countries I hate hotel dorion the worst place i've ever stayed at

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business