“Wouldn't want to stay anywhere else my next trip!”
Review of Hotel Kutuma

Ranked #57 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 16 October 2017

Hotel Kutuma is a charming property located in a fun, vibrant neighbourhood located very closely to the Sherbrooke metro station.

The room can hardly be called a room - it was more like a small condo - including a kitchenette, a living area (with a large television) and a jacuzzi inside of the unit (which was very relaxing!).

The bed was very comfortable and this was one of the best sleeps I've had in a while!

We appreciated the excellent hospitality and private nature of this suite. I have paid far more characterless hotels in my many visit to the city - I won't forget Kutuma for it's charm, welcoming nature, personality and home-like feeling. Whenever I visit a city, I am always eager to be out and about - Hotel Kutuma actually made me want to spend some time relaxing indoors. I will be back!

The only downside it that this hotel may not be accessible due to its stairs (didn't see an elevator). Something to consider for anyone who has mobility issues.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
KutumaReception, Front Office Manager at Hotel Kutuma, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2017

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for providing feedback, we are always happy to hear from our guest. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon.
Hotel Kutuma Management

Reviewed 19 September 2017

This small boutique hotel in le Plateau area is amazing value for money. We paid less to stay in this luxurious boutique hotel than what an air bnb apartment costs in the area. We loved our room, a roomy, comfortable, luxurious feeling studio apartment with cooking amenities, king bed and huge ensuite bathroom with big deep bath!
Only a short walk to nearest metro, although is still walkable to old port area within 30mins. The hotel is surrounded by understated trendy boutique shops, cafes and restaurants. A few vegan and vegetarian restaurants nearby too.
We are in the attached Ethiopian restaurant which served delicious hearty food, great atmosphere and a unique dining experience.
Definitely recommend staying here when visiting Montreal as first choice

Room Tip: Can recommend room 403
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
KutumaReception, Manager at Hotel Kutuma, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2017

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 15 September 2017

Beautiful suite with complete kitchen. The refrigerator was larger than the one we have at home! The bathroom was pristine and high end. It included a bidet, heart shaped whirl pool tub and a unique large shower head suspended over the tub. We slept very well in the lap of luxury.

Room Tip: The brushed glass see-through bathroom door was awkward for family travel.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
KutumaReception, Front Office Manager at Hotel Kutuma, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2017

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to welcome you again soon!

Reviewed 10 September 2017

This was a very small hotel- almost the feel of a very upscale townhouse B&B. There is a restaurant downstairs, and the bedrooms are upstairs. We were a little concerned at first because the cab driver made a face when we pulled up, but were greeted with super friendly staff (who took our luggage early because we'd disembarked from a cruise in the early morning), offering coffee and was very welcoming and helpful. When we returned for check-in time, we were helped with our bags up the steps, and directed to a beautifully appointed, African themed room. It was surprisingly luxurious and comfortable, and a welcomed respite after hiking all over the very hilly city! It was within walking distance of several neighborhoods: the restaurants and shops on St. Denis, the Plateau, and the Gay Village. It's an easy Uber or taxi ride if you don't want to walk back. It's also within walking distance to Mont Royal (but that's quite a hike up once you've walked there)! We could even get there from a Hop-on/hop-off bus stop.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2017 via mobile

My primary reason for booking this hotel was because it was close to the Pride events that were going on the weekend I was in town, and the price was reasonable in comparison with the other hotels. I booked a penthouse because it was the only one available, and it wasn't very expensive so I didn't think much of it. But wow, once I stepped foot into the room I was blown away. I wish I could have stayed here longer to really experience everything the hotel had to offer.

The service got off to an excellent start as we were offered complimentary wine right when we got in, despite getting in fairly late around midnight. The receptionist still welcomed us with a warm smile and didn't seem at all irritated that he had to sit there and wait for us for hours while our train was delayed. That's superb service for you.

The location of the hotel is very close to McGill and is close to most of the tourist destinations. It's next to a number of quaint cafes and chill restaurants, and is not overly busy. I did find it a little odd that the reception area of the hotel was extremely tiny, and almost merged with the first floor restaurant, but that can't really be helped. It is a bit awkward to walk into the hotel straight in front of diners dining at the restaurant attached to the hotel, but can't really do much about that.

The actual penthouse suite was impeccable. It came with a HUGE jacuzzi which we never got to use because our itinerary was so booked, but I really wish I had a chance to enjoy it. The room also had a large kitchen with a dining table and even a balcony. It felt quite French, and a perfect place to enjoy a romantic breakfast (though I'm personally not the romantic type lol). The room is very couple-y and even comes with leopard print duvets, so it's good to keep that in mind if you're planning on staying with someone platonic. But regardless, it was great value considering what we paid, and a similar room would've cost at least double or triple in other urban cities.

It is good to keep in mind that there is no elevator in the hotel, and we had to climb up four flights of stairs to get to the penthouse. They do explicitly ask if you need help with the luggage on the way up and on the way down, but this place might not be accessible for everyone.

I especially liked that they did not rush us to checkout right on time (huge pet peeve of mine) and I got to leave feeling well-rested. I just wish I got to stay longer. All in all, I highly recommend this boutique hotel, and I'm sure I will return again on my further visit to Montreal.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple