“Great atmosphere, excellent service, good food”
Review of Ferreira Cafe

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Ville-Marie
Cross street: St-Catherine
Description: It is said that laughter and good times are fuelled by exquisite food. All of these can be found at Ferreira Cafe, Montreal's veritable ambassador of Portuguese cuisine. Warm and refined, while chic and relaxing, Ferreira Cafe continues to be a true favorite of among Montrealers.
Reviewed 30 October 2018

Located on busy Peel street, Ferreira’s was full, both in and out when we arrived one Saturday night in September 2018, so we sat at the bar. The place was bustling, the atmosphere good, the waitress superb and the stool comfortable.

The impressive menu featured largely Portuguese fish/seafood dishes but also local favourites such as beef. We opted for the special stuffed courgette flowers and the sardines for starters, followed by seafood rice and the ribeye with vegetables, washed down with a couple of glasses of Santiago white (excellent).

The starters were modest but nicely presented. The duo of courgette flowers were lightly fried and delicately flavoured but I couldn’t taste the crab and they were very small and accompanied by a large, greasy prawn cracker (expensively priced for what you got). The sardines were superbly cooked and tasty, but then it’s hard to go wrong with grilled sardines. The seafood rice comes in an iron pot that keeps it warm and allows you to eat it slowly. It was superbly flavoured and fabulously cooked, with al dente rice and tender shellfish (prawns, scallops, vongole, squid). One slight criticism was that my second helping consisted mostly of rice. The beef was exquisite and generous, the vegetables, char grilled, came with a smoky taste and bite. We ordered an extra glass of red Douro but were too full for dessert.

People were still arriving as we left after 22.00, having settled the C$200 with tip bill, which is not cheap, but the atmosphere, service and food made it palatable.

Tip: probably best to reserve, at least at the weekend, even if you plan to eat late.

Date of visit: September 2018
Seaside820984, Responsable relations publiques at Ferreira Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2018

Thank you for your comment!

The Ferreira Team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,031)

Reviewed 30 October 2018

The menu is varied and reasonable priced with good service. The wine list also offer a good variety and reasonable prices. Conversation can be held without too much intrusive music or patrons noise.

Date of visit: October 2018

Thank you for your comment! We are happy you enjoyed your visit.

Reviewed 28 October 2018

OK, so... I love almost everything Portuguese. Been to Portugal several times, still want to see and experience more. Have Portuguese friends. Love the food, wine, culture, etc. Also usually love almost anything seafood. So, we're in one of my favourite cities (Montreal) and across the street from what seems to be a terrific fresh seafood Portuguese restaurant. I'm IN!! So, we're off to a good start because the service is lovely and attentive, the menu looks good, the seafood looks fresh, and they have an albarinho vinho verde. One of my faves from Portugal. Great! We order the salad (OK, OK... I know... Portuguese people don't eat salad. So.... it's not authentic). And, the chef forgets the toasted pumpkin and sunflower seeds. If I hadn't noticed, it would have just been a bowl full of greens with a lime vinagrette dressing. Luckily, the very lovely and attentive waiter, Evan, brought the toasted seeds. It made all the difference! The toasted seeds offset the acidity of the greens and the lime vinagrette, and the albarinho complemented the whole thing perfectly. GREAT! So, next is the grilled seafood appetizer for two. I emphasize that it was GRILLED. Usually, that means, on a grill, toasted by some kind of heat... Usually, it also means that it's served dry. The menu did say that it was served with a butter sauce. I did not expect that this meant it was served sitting in a pan full of oil. So, it was not only a sizzling plate when we got it, but soaking up the butter and oil it was sitting in. There was a lot of it. I don't get it. Doesn't that mean that it's actually fried AFTER it's grilled? And, not served with a butter sauce, but actually served in a pan full of oil after it's fried? I've never had grilled seafood served this way. I don't eat oily food. That's why I like things grilled. Honestly, I shouldn't have forced myself to eat it. I was sick afterward because I'm not used to eating such greasy food. That being said, my husband is Chinese and much more used to eating deep fried and pan fried, greasy foods. He enjoyed it. So, take that for what you will. The ambiance was nice. The service was attentive and very nice. The wine was lovely. I really enjoyed being able to have an albarinho again. I just don't understand why you would serve GRILLED seafood in a pan full of oil so it soaks it all up after you've cooked it in a nice, healthy way that showcases the meat. Don't get it. Never will. I lost the whole thing shortly after I ate it. Wish I hadn't made myself eat it. Wish I hadn't lost it afterward. Love, love, love truly grilled seafood. Oh, side note: vinho verde is about 1/5th the price in the liquor store. Usually super cheap and a great buy. I'll grill our own seafood and buy our own albarinho at home. OK, we won't have toasted nuts left off our salad. And, we won't have the awesome service and lovely ambience. Can you tell I'm torn? I just won't be back. :-(

Date of visit: October 2018

We are really sorry and disappointed that your visit was not up to your expectations. We will forward your comment to the kitchen and we hope you will visit again.

If so, write to us and we will make sure your experience is memorable.

The Ferreira team.

Reviewed 26 October 2018 via mobile

This place doesn’t disappoint with service to match the high end food. The server knows exactly when to intervene and when to leave you alone. The food was prepared to perfection, the lighting was perfect, the temperature was perfect, and even the music was perfect. The maître D was also very professional. 5 star experience from beginning to end.

Date of visit: October 2018

Thank you for your wonderful comment! We are really happy you enjoyed your visit.

Reviewed 23 October 2018

Kudos to the chef team for delicately cooking fish dishes, using the freshest ingredients and plating the food in an appetizing way. We enjoyed the atmosphere, the very good attentive and professional service. Our group of six enjoyed the sardine appetizer ( a really small portion), the tuna tartare appetizer (huge portion and really delicous), the Portuguese proscuitto. The grilled snapper was outstanding, black cod was very good. Desserts were disappointing. Pretty on the plate, but not worth the calories. Handcut fries were excellent - although if I return I would ask for them to be more well done. Great restaurant, good value for the money spent.

Date of visit: October 2018

Thank you Storyteller809173 for your comment! We are happy you enjoyed your visit.