“Not fancy, the best is in the plate!”
Review of Restaurant Le Grain De Sel - CLOSED

Restaurant Le Grain De Sel
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Olympic Park & Hochelaga-Maisonneuve (HoMa)
Reviewed 12 April 2015

Tiny place, just passed of the busy traffic area.
Service is quite efficient, our server (had a sense of humour, which I always appreciate) was very professional, knew the menu very well and was able to explain in details.
The choices were interesting and the 4 of us had different main courses so we could share.
Each meal we had we would order again, the open kitchen is ultra clean, the chef is very friendly and was very kind. He even shared some preparation tips with me.

Dessert was an experience in itself, the presentation of the last was quite en original attraction but I wont sell the punch.
The wine list is not exhaustive but we easily found what we needed to get along with our different main courses.

It has earned a place on my must return list, I enjoyed my evening very much!!

5  Thank Interest009

Reviewed 10 January 2015

This is a warm wonderful Restaurant that will surprise and impress you every step of the way. From the wonderful Service (Thank You Marie) and the unique dishes made with an array of complex flavours that marry so wonderfully … a fresh approach to each dish, The Tartare was perfectly spiced and melt in your mouth … Loved the fact that the Chef / Owner came to the table and not only our table but every table in the restaurant to discuss the dishes we had enjoyed and if there were any ways he could improve on any of the dishes… Passion exuded from this Chef / Owner and all we could tell him is that we were looking forward to our next visit to explore creative dishes … and not to change a thing!

Grain de Sel is excellent. Period. … Try it … you will absolutely Love it.

3  Thank Michael O
Reviewed 18 December 2014

For those of you that are looking for a local restaurant with conventional decor but with great food offering tasty and affordable this is probably the best place in Montreal. The y have a good selection of wines and the chef will surprise you with evry service.

1  Thank Jean d
Reviewed 15 November 2014

Le Grain de Sel is a small restaurant, providing an intimate atmosphere without making one feel crowded in by other patrons. Waitstaff were attentive. The bar selection was not particularly extensive, but what they did have was very good.

Our appetizers were excellent: I had fried mussels with mixture of wide noodles cooked perfectly with saffron, squash and orange; it was topped with long unwieldy strands of watercress, the absence of which would have made the dish easier to eat but less beautiful visually. My dinner partner had the beet salad, which he described as "excellent." We decided to split a second appetizer of black pudding, a house speciality which neither of us thought we would really want but which we wanted to sample. It was good -- paired with chocolate sauce and banana -- the fact that neither of us would order it again has more to do with the fact that I guess we just don't like black pudding -- it was no reflection on the quality or the originality of the presentation.

Main courses were good; venison with a blueberry sauce and halibut. Neither of us licked the plate clean, but both of us were happy with our food. The chef came out to greet us and to check on everything, and that made the meal all the more enjoyable. The bread served with the meal was fantastic.

Here's the reason I am giving Le Grain de Sel 4 stars instead of 5: the restaurant offers a "tasting menu" but only if all the parties at a table order it. I don't like that -- I think a person should be able to do the tasting even if the other people at the table do not -- but I get it. However, the waitress could not give any indication as to what would be IN the tasting menu. She said it would be up to the inspiration of the chef. That's like playing russian roulette. It's one thing to say "you will have five courses; one will have shellfish, one will have game or another meat, one will have this or that." But to say "we will serve you five courses and you will not know anything about them until they're on your table" -- well, sorry, but that's not my idea of dining out.

Having said all of that, I heartily recommend Le Grain de Sel. And to the tabulae rosae out there -- try the tasting menu (if everyone else at your table will) -- it's probably fantastic!

4  Thank xaviercourtois
Reviewed 27 October 2014

Having read WMarkR's remarks, I have very little to add: it would seem that we have the same tastes. It is a great value for money and the fact that it's out of the central buzz of downtown, parking is easy on the street very close to the restaurant - now that is a luxury in Montréal!

1  Thank Marysela