“Our favorite restaurant in Montreal!”
Review of Restaurant Le Grain De Sel - CLOSED

Restaurant Le Grain De Sel
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Olympic Park & Hochelaga-Maisonneuve (HoMa)
Reviewed 21 September 2015

We had lunch at this place last year and discovered the best blood sausage of our lives! This time we did the tasting menu for dinner and it did not disappoint! They make terrific old-school French here and only because it is so far from downtown does it not enjoy a more lofty position among Montreal's culinary elite. A foodie's wet dream!

3  Thank professah13

Reviewed 22 August 2015

This restaurant serves excellent French cuisine with a little Mediterranean twist. We had 5 course degustation menu, which includes 3 starters, a main dish, and a dessert, all chosen by the chef. All starters were very tasty and included marinated red and yellow beets with fresh feta, a gravlax + smoked salmon salad with potato crumble, and the signature home-made boudin noir on dark chocolate and fried banana. The main dish was pasta carbonara served in a non-traditional way with a whole soft-boiled egg and a piece of succulent roasted pork covered by a single sheet of home-made pasta sprinkled with aged Parmesan cheese. The local chef is an expert in elevating otherwise humble dishes to a totally new level using savory spice combinations and innovative techniques of preparation.
The service deserves to be mentioned too: very professional, knowledgeable about the details of every dish on the menu and restaurant's private importation wines, servers are always prepared to answer your questions and find the wine that will perfectly match your meals.
We went back to this small restaurant after several years and we are very pleased to say that the quality of meals and service is consistently maintained on the highest level. This is the perfect place if you like great food and great service without the pretentious environment and prices of "luxury" restaurants.

2  Thank pavel602
Reviewed 21 July 2015

It's a small cozy restaurant with a nice and quiet ambiance. The staff there is super friendly and very helpful. The menu has a handful of options (around 15, maybe less in the summer), but each and every dish looks absolutely delicious. The prices are between 6-15 for appetizers, 18-30 for the mains, and 6-8 for the desserts, and the portions are quite generous.

The first time I went we split the chocolate blood sausage, the (deer? or another gamy meat) tartar, the riz de veau (rice calf), and the surf and turf (scallops and blood sausage). All amazing (and I normally don't like blood sausage)!!!

The second time I had the spicy beef tartar (my favorite beef tartar in Montreal up to this date), and the surf and turf again (in the summer they don't serve the rice calf dish)
I was not disappointed with my choices!

Not once did I try the desserts because I was so full, but they sounded delicious! Before your meal, they also bring a small amuse-bouche and a basket of bread with all kinds of condiments (pestos, chutneys, and other sauces for your bread), which is a nice touch!

3  Thank jadebrisson
Reviewed 12 April 2015

Tiny place, just passed of the busy traffic area.
Service is quite efficient, our server (had a sense of humour, which I always appreciate) was very professional, knew the menu very well and was able to explain in details.
The choices were interesting and the 4 of us had different main courses so we could share.
Each meal we had we would order again, the open kitchen is ultra clean, the chef is very friendly and was very kind. He even shared some preparation tips with me.

Dessert was an experience in itself, the presentation of the last was quite en original attraction but I wont sell the punch.
The wine list is not exhaustive but we easily found what we needed to get along with our different main courses.

It has earned a place on my must return list, I enjoyed my evening very much!!

5  Thank Interest009
Reviewed 10 January 2015

This is a warm wonderful Restaurant that will surprise and impress you every step of the way. From the wonderful Service (Thank You Marie) and the unique dishes made with an array of complex flavours that marry so wonderfully … a fresh approach to each dish, The Tartare was perfectly spiced and melt in your mouth … Loved the fact that the Chef / Owner came to the table and not only our table but every table in the restaurant to discuss the dishes we had enjoyed and if there were any ways he could improve on any of the dishes… Passion exuded from this Chef / Owner and all we could tell him is that we were looking forward to our next visit to explore creative dishes … and not to change a thing!

Grain de Sel is excellent. Period. … Try it … you will absolutely Love it.

3  Thank Michael O