“Enjoyable food, michelin standard...not sure.”

The Masons Arms Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Knowstone
Price range: US$24 - US$32
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 9 June 2018

Went here for a Friday night dinner for two. The experience was very enjoyable overall, I'm just not sure that Michelin star hasn't slipped a bit. The welcome was excellent, and the staff lovely, very knowledgeable about the menu and wines and hugely attentive. You need to order a starter, main course and the dessert, or you'll get left hungry....portions are definitely 'Michelin' (read small and bijoux). Complimentary mise en bouche of duck liver parfait was gorgeous, the cod beignet less so. Nice homemade bread and delicious olive oil from Sardinia to dip it into.
Started with asparagus with black olive tapenade, crispy fried quails eggs, and some slices of salami...the combination of flavours was masterful! Thoroughly enjoyed that course.
Main was monkfish wrapped in prosciutto (2 medallions), served with 2 scallops, some cherry tomatoes and pesto sauce. My monkfish was a bit overcooked, making it dry, while my scallops were undercooked, so white on either side and well caramelised on the outside, still opaque inside. Now I love raw scallop, so I'm not on the squeamish side, but when its served cooked, it should be cooked so that the meat is sweet and slightly flakes apart when cut with a fork. It was neither and the dish just wasn't particularly flavourful. I could taste the saltiness of the pork, and the tomatoes were tart and sweet, pesto was ok...but the seafood which should have starred...just did not.
Dessert - we went for the sharing platter which gives 2 a taste of all the desserts, plus the raspberry soufflé, which turned out to be the absolute masterpiece of the evening! It was tart and sweet, full of raspberry flavour, and light as air! Once I tasted it I had no desire to dilute the taste with any other dessert. But beware, you cannot order it without ordering the entire platter. I did decide to taste the chocolate ganache, which for me was too dense and bitter. My eating companion tasted all the desserts, but also concluded that when you had that raspberry soufflé, the rest paled by comparison. We enjoyed the evening, but wouldn't go out of our way to go back for the food.

1  Thank foodisall

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

Yet again amazing food. Great taste especially chicken liver parfait and having the wine that is recommended with the main is a must. Staff friendly and polite not stuffy Of course the view is wonderful and it was lovely to see some friends who had gone there for their wedding anniversary on my recommendation and loved it. Will be back

Sarah D, Manager at The Masons Arms Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2018

Thanks so much for your "amazing" review, we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 10 May 2018

We here for the first time today, for lunch, on a friend's recommendation and we not disappointed in any way. The food is clean and unpretentious but very subtle, and allows the flavours to shine through.

A warm welcome to the "pub" (which is beautifully picturesque, especially on sunny day) and then shown through to a comfy sofa while we chose from the set and a la carte menus and then through to the quite intimate dining room.

The MemSahib had Langoustine with Pearl Barley and Broad Beans to start - quite delightful - and I had the Quail Breasts; the spinach was quite salty but really worked well and the sweet wine sauce punchy and rightfully assertive with the crispy quail.

She followed with the Duck Breast which was really tasty and only outdone by the Duck Confit which came with it. I had the Fillet of Beef which was perfectly cooked but the star for me was the tongue and cheek "pie" with smoked mash - took me, very pleasantly, by surprise.

I had some lovely, well kept cheese and the MemSahib, unusually for her, had a dessert - the Passion Fruit Tart with gorse flower ice cream.

All with a very good Paul Garaudet Volnay.

Lovely, friendly service; chatted with Sarah and then Mark himself afterwards, but Alex was the best! Not the cheapest Thursday lunch I've ever had (though the set menu looked good value at £25 for three courses) but well worth it and we definitely will be back.

Sarah D, Owner at The Masons Arms Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2018

Thanks so much for your great review, it was lovely to meet you both. Hope that you like the book and to see you again soon!
Mark

Reviewed 9 May 2018

Superb food, atmosphere,staff and hosts..... a truly lovely dining experience in a very unpretentious place.

Sarah D, Manager at The Masons Arms Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2018

Thanks so much for leaving your review, hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 6 May 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed lunch here today after a walk at Tarr Steps. From the warm welcome to the setting and the food, it was faultless. We sat in the garden and had a lovely crisp pint of lager with complimentary nuts and olives. We then moved to the patio area where fresh bread, butter, oil and balsamic were brought out. The table water was topped up when needed and served cold. The service was exceptional, the staff looked like they really enjoyed working there and it was all very polished but warm and genuine.
The food was superb, we enjoyed every single mouthful. Each dish was put together with a lot of thought and consideration about what flavours complimented each other. The portion sizes were perfect. Amazing flavours. I’m pretty sure it doesn’t matter what you order from the menu, you will enjoy it- it’s that good. It truly deserves its Michelin star and we will most definitely be returning when we are next in the area.