“An Absolute Delight ”

Price range: US$24 - US$32
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

If your in North Devon this restaurant is a must to visit. It’s a joy from the friendly welcome to the fond farewell when you leave. The bits in between are delicious as well, good ale, lovely wine and great food. The langoustines with spring vegetables was a superb starter, followed by a lovely Halibut main and the sharing plate pudding, with a raspberry soufflé a wonderful dessert.
Thanks to everyone one at The Mason Arms for giving us a great evening.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

On 22.06.18 I met my friend for lunch and, being a warm day, we sat outside for the first time, enjoying the beautiful, UNspoilt rural views. The whole experience was a delight! The staff were all charming, the ambiance ideal and we both much enjoyed our choice of meal, together with homemade breads.
We both chose the 3-course set menu for £25. Each course was beautifully and artistically presented - a delight!
Am looking forward to returning...soon!

Sarah D, Owner at The Masons Arms Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thanks so much for your great review, we do hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 13 June 2018 via mobile

It was our first visit and it certainly won’t be our last. We went for the set three course lunch, and while there were only two options, both were superbly presented, tasted fantastic and the service was first class. A very warm welcome in this lovely old pub in a beautiful North Devon village. A great drive over from Braunton in our classic Triumph too, on a super sunny day.

1  Thank Peter R
Sarah D, Owner at The Masons Arms Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2018

Thanks for your "lovely" review, so pleased that you enjoyed our set three course lunch, it is proving so popular we will be serving it all summer! Hope to see you again soon. MD

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 June 2018 via mobile

We have visited The Masons Arms several times over the last few years and it just gets better every time. The service was excellent and the food exceptional.

Reviewed 9 June 2018

Went here for a Friday night dinner for two. The experience was very enjoyable overall, I'm just not sure that Michelin star hasn't slipped a bit. The welcome was excellent, and the staff lovely, very knowledgeable about the menu and wines and hugely attentive. You need to order a starter, main course and the dessert, or you'll get left hungry....portions are definitely 'Michelin' (read small and bijoux). Complimentary mise en bouche of duck liver parfait was gorgeous, the cod beignet less so. Nice homemade bread and delicious olive oil from Sardinia to dip it into.
Started with asparagus with black olive tapenade, crispy fried quails eggs, and some slices of salami...the combination of flavours was masterful! Thoroughly enjoyed that course.
Main was monkfish wrapped in prosciutto (2 medallions), served with 2 scallops, some cherry tomatoes and pesto sauce. My monkfish was a bit overcooked, making it dry, while my scallops were undercooked, so white on either side and well caramelised on the outside, still opaque inside. Now I love raw scallop, so I'm not on the squeamish side, but when its served cooked, it should be cooked so that the meat is sweet and slightly flakes apart when cut with a fork. It was neither and the dish just wasn't particularly flavourful. I could taste the saltiness of the pork, and the tomatoes were tart and sweet, pesto was ok...but the seafood which should have starred...just did not.
Dessert - we went for the sharing platter which gives 2 a taste of all the desserts, plus the raspberry soufflé, which turned out to be the absolute masterpiece of the evening! It was tart and sweet, full of raspberry flavour, and light as air! Once I tasted it I had no desire to dilute the taste with any other dessert. But beware, you cannot order it without ordering the entire platter. I did decide to taste the chocolate ganache, which for me was too dense and bitter. My eating companion tasted all the desserts, but also concluded that when you had that raspberry soufflé, the rest paled by comparison. We enjoyed the evening, but wouldn't go out of our way to go back for the food.

1  Thank foodisall